PDA

View Full Version : New Spaceship Earth??

PixieMagic
04-09-2009, 08:46 PM
WHAT?!?!?! I just got the new vacation planning DVD and I am upset/excited all in one! Spaceship earth is one of my FAV rides! When is/will the refurb happen?? Does anyone know anything more about this?!?!?!?!:sick:

SFTrny
04-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Ummm...didn't this happen a year ago?

Pop Centurion
04-09-2009, 08:56 PM
SSE has already been refurbed it's just not 100%complete. The ride is operational and you'll be able to enjoy it so don't worry. The main part of the ridfe that's unfinished is the decent.

Strmchsr
04-09-2009, 09:05 PM
The main part of the ridfe that's unfinished is the decent.

I had heard rumors to this effect, too, but having spoken with an Imagineer, SSE actually is finished. I've heard all these great ideas about what they're going to do, but apparently those rumors are just that...rumors. Nothing more is coming for SSE. At least for now.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-09-2009, 09:32 PM
It was done last year. The ending is different now. You get to pick where you want to travel and how. Then you watch it on the screen and when you get off the ride they have a big screen and you can see yourself up there too. The actual ride is pretty much the same up until that point.

PixieMagic
04-09-2009, 09:47 PM
what about the part where the car turns around backwards and goes back down in the globe with the stars and the earth?? That's my favorite part!! Is it still there??

Strmchsr
04-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Sort of. Most of that is still there, but it's all a little different than it used to be.

PixieMagic
04-09-2009, 10:11 PM
:( that is one of my favorite rides :(

DawsonAR
04-09-2009, 10:41 PM
We rode it in January '08 during soft opening and again in April '08. It is a different, but we enjoyed it all the same.

Susie
04-09-2009, 10:50 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I found that Spaceship Earth was not nearly as enjoyable as it was in the past. From the time your "time travel" car turns around and begins its descent, it's nothing but a poorly written "jetsons" cartoon. It's a shame, but at least it's a nice place to sit down and get a little rest where it's not too hot.

Susie

Belster
04-09-2009, 11:16 PM
My family and I really enjoyed SSE. I love Judy Dench's voice, so that was a plus. I also like that they updated it to fit our current times. Don't get me wrong I like all of the old school things, but I found my kids related much better this time. We went on it several times. I love that when you come home you have a little picture email from your trip.

PixieMagic
04-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Oh no! So sad! Some rides are just meant to be classics and bewilder and put a smile on the face of classic returners - I was upset with the tiny changes they did years ago....but I want my classic spaceship earth!!! :(

morebroccoli
04-10-2009, 12:34 AM
try not to be so bummed out. as a true Epcot purist (lol) i get real upset when they change things too much. you should see me snarl at the missing crystal fountain and the giant oversized tacky 'leave a legacy' boulders in the entry way as i pass them each trip... but spaceship earth, to me, is just as good as it was. the ending is fun, most of the beginning is the same or enhanced. it isnt a drastic change. i like the end now cause before you would just ride down backwards and look at lights. now you get to do something interactive. make sure you make a silly face when they tell you to look in the camera. it makes the ending so much funnier! dont go into it thinking you will hate it. give it a chance, you may not mind it at all.

theres still the big globe at the top, the stars, and the turn around backwards at the end. all that good stuff is still there.

deedeenmickey
04-10-2009, 03:32 AM
Give it a chance. I loved the original too but it's still fun.

Ian
04-10-2009, 08:11 AM
I had heard rumors to this effect, too, but having spoken with an Imagineer, SSE actually is finished. I've heard all these great ideas about what they're going to do, but apparently those rumors are just that...rumors. Nothing more is coming for SSE. At least for now.Not true. There's work going on behind the curtains for the descent right now. It was supposed to be done with the rest of the ride, but Operations rushed it back into service before Imagineering could complete the work.

At least that's what I was told by a very reliable source.

gardenia
04-10-2009, 08:51 AM
How do you get the pictures emailed to you??

Strmchsr
04-10-2009, 09:37 AM
At least that's what I was told by a very reliable source.

I hope you're right, Ian. I had heard the same thing, but another very reliable source told me what I posted above. So it seems we have contradictory very reliable sources. I'm going to hope yours is right. :D

Polynesian Dweller
04-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I hope Ian is right too, and maybe so with the amount of negative comment about the ending. The sponsor can't be too happy about that. Just wonder what could be done on the descent stage since there isn't a lot of room there.