PDA

View Full Version : Help! Tanning type question!!

PixieMagic
04-09-2009, 12:17 AM
I am not needing anyone to lecture me on dangers etc - but I just started working for a tanning salon a couple days ago and need advice! I didn't want to get over tanned by UV Rays so my boss had me do a spray tan today...after the spray tan I noticed a tiny black spot on the bottom of my foot....any idea what this could be from? I am really concerned because it wasn't there before I tanned and apparently it isn't from the spray tan? Any help would be amazing because you are my community and I am FREAKING OUT!!!

Dragongirlx
04-09-2009, 03:46 AM
If you have been walking around in bare feet it might be a verrucca. Nothing to worry about and really easy to treat just go to your local pharmacy and they will have something to treat it

Tinkerfreak
04-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Thats weird. You are sure it wasn't there before you spray tanned? I have no clue. I do have a question though. I have never spray tanned because it is fairly new in my area. How long does it last and does it rub off onto stuff? I used to tan but stopped because I was concerned about the danger. I would love to spray tan as an alternative but not if I am going to stain my furniture etc.
By the way don't feel like you need to defend yourself for tanning, nobody should judge you for it. I have a saying for my kids all the time "MYOB" mind your own business. Whenever I say it they get the hint.

MNNHFLTX
04-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Does the black spot hurt at all or is it raised? If so, I would think you possibly stepped on something (like a very small pebble or something similar) that got imbedded in your heel. I wouldn't freak out at this point, just keep an eye on it and go to the doctor if it looks like it is getting red or irritated.

meldan98
04-09-2009, 12:41 PM
I had one spray tan a couple of years ago. At first it does rub off a little, but then it's okay, not great. The only other spots that rub off are parts of your skin that might sweat and rub up against clothes, like the back of your neck, knees, etc. As it wears off, you might look dirty in spots, but the person who does it for you can recommend a lotion that helps even it out.

PixieMagic
04-09-2009, 08:11 PM
It's small and in the middle of my foot - it's a tiny bit raised but not really and doesn't hurt at all....as for walking around in bare feet - I only do it at home or when I am about to get in a tanning bed...it's so weird!

As for spray tanning - we have a mystictan where I work. It's really fast when you are in there (the whole process only takes 40 seconds) the longest part is putting on the lotion barriers before hand (think coats of special lotion that keep you from getting orange hands, feet, and fingernails) I wouldn't worry about it rubbing off onto anything - but you may get some on your sheets if you do it later in the day as you CANNOT shower for a minimum of 4 hours. It lasts anywhere from 4-8 days depending on your skin, how often you shower, if you use an exfoliant beforehand, etc. And we not only have special lotions for that, we also have exfoliant wipes to use beforehand, and this stuff called Vanish to take care of any oops spots.... If you want to know anymore you can certainly PM me! :thumbsup:

crazypoohbear
04-09-2009, 09:18 PM
You need to see a dermatologist to get a proper diagnosis.
I know you said you didnt' want to be lectured about tanning but you need to have a skin cancer check and do so every year.
The spot on your foot could be malignant melanoma.
I know you just started at the tanning place but I'm sure like most people you have tanned in the sun before.
Melanoma doesn't neccesarily show up where the sun shines. you can have skin cancer show up anywhere on your body.
Do yourself a favor and get checked out.

I had a small spot show up on my leg near my knee once. It was melanoma, so I know what I am talking about!
It could be something totally unrelated but, better safe than sorry.

May is skin cancer awareness month and now is a good time to tell everyone to go get checked.

kakn7294
04-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Good advice crazypoohbear! PixieMagic, I'm not going to lecture you about tanning but I am going to tell you to go see a doctor about your spot. Don't wait and don't try to treat it yourself. Hopefully it's nothing but you need a doctor to tell you that. Good luck!

PixieMagic
04-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks all for the advice and if anyone has more please keep it coming! Honestly - although I work at a tanning saloon I am pasty white! I have tanned in the past, but only for special occasions. I have a lot of training and now do mystic - but really that's my plan - a mystic (spray tan) every four days or so, so that I don't have to get the UV rays, but I look like my job....I wont try to treat it myself but I'll show my parents tomorrow and maybe go to the doctor on Monday - after the mention of Melanoma I freaked! My neighbor died of that and it scares me - so health insurance or not, I am getting it checked out after talking to my mom (she has experience with it).....but again....THANK YOU!!!

crazypoohbear
04-11-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm glad that you are getting it checked out.
Ask around, even if you don't have health insurance May is Melanoma month and that is when I was diagnosed. There was a hospital giving free skin cancer checks and I went. Thank GOD!
I too am pasty white and always have been but I got it anyway :(
I also know three people who have died of it since I was diagnosed.
But I know of 4 people who have been diagnosed early (partly because of my nagging ways!) and everyone was caught early and survived.
Keep us posted and best of luck

PixieMagic
04-11-2009, 11:39 PM
I looked up pics of malignant vs benign melanoma online and it looks EXACTLY like the pic I found of benign...enough to scare me none the less, but I will still get it checked

dmosher
04-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Yes by all means, get it checked out. Even if it turns out to be absolutely nothing, it is better to know. Never take chances with things like that. Good luck and keep us informed.
:pipes:
D

Tigger&Stitch
04-12-2009, 12:19 AM
Having grown up with a Dermatologist parent, I absolutely recommend getting checked by the doctor. Get a "mole map" done, and go back every year to get checked against it. While most skin damage is done in our early years, no one is certain about how/when skin cancer will show up.

I did randomly read an article just a little while ago about higher incidences of skin cancer on feet here in New Zealand (where much of the population goes barefoot or wears flip flops). Here it is: http://www.topnews.in/health/flip-flops-can-give-you-skin-cancer-warn-doctors-23016

Having grown up paranoid about the sun, I too am very very white and any new spot/mole/freckle is a concern. I recently have become paranoid about chemicals too, though, so there goes spray tanning for me! :pout:

Anyway, yep, get yourself checked out. Probably nothing, but it's good to have the peace of mind. As you know from your neighbor, skin cancer is insidious if left unchecked (but quite possibly curable if caught early).