PDA

View Full Version : What Age Does A Kid Have To Be To Ride Alone?

DisneyPrincess21
04-08-2009, 11:03 AM
I am taking my 2 niece's (8yr old and 12yr old) in December for their first trip, And the 8yr old wants to go on the teacups and I can't do ride's that spin. So I am wondering if there is an age limit for kids to ride alone, Or can the older sister (12yr old) go on with her? And does the age limit change for each ride, or is it the same over the whole park?

SBETigg
04-08-2009, 11:07 AM
They should be fine to ride together. I'm pretty sure they would even let the 8 yo ride alone. The only recommended age limit I've seen is to supervise kids under 12. I don't think it's really reinforced, or even official, and you can still watch them on the cups if you don't go on, so I would say that's absolutely not going to be a problem. I think they're more concerned with guests meeting the height requirement on rides with restrictions.

Lynn J Mc
04-08-2009, 11:16 AM
I can't spin either - last year my niece - then 7 - rode them by herself. It was late and the park wasn't crowded so she didn't have to stand in line. She hopped right on. Thankfully she's not bashful.

princessesmom
04-08-2009, 01:28 PM
It won't be a problem. My dd11 rode the teacups with my dd4 on our February trip. I just met them at the exit when they got off. My ds7 rode the PEW alone in AK, I can't handle spinning and neither of his older sisters wanted to ride. I waited in line with him and then sat in the child swap waiting area until he got off the ride. I think this happens all the time.

Imagineer1981
04-08-2009, 02:48 PM
At 8 you'll be fine, however certain attractions like Space Mountain tend to ask questions

MOJoe
04-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Disney attraction restrictions are all height based. So i'm pretty sure that if you are tall enough, you also are old enough.

DisneyPrincess21
04-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Great! Thanks everyone:thumbsup:
She will be thrilled, She told me she really wanted to go on the teacups, And I didn't have the heart to tell her we wouldn't be able to go on because I can't go on. So I am glad that she will be able to ride by herself. She is tall for her age so I don't think height will be a problem.
Neither one of my niece's will be going on any big rides like space mountain or anything so that won't be a problem. But it's good to know that if there is a ride they want to go on and I can't go on it with them, They won't have to miss out. :balloon::wave:

One more question, do you think my 12yr old niece is old enough to drive the "tomorrow land indy speedway" car by herself? I remember driving in one with my dad when I was a kid But I can't remember, Can you stand somewhere and watch the kids while they are driving? I hope she is able to drive because she will get a HUGE kick out of "driving" a car by herself. Even though she is only 12 she can't wait to drive.

princessesmom
04-08-2009, 05:54 PM
There is a height limit to drive the cars. I'm not sure what it is, but my dd11 was okay to drive her own car in February. She is 5'3". My ds8 is 4'2" and was not tall enough to drive, he had to ride with my husband. I"m sure the height limit is somewhere here on intercot or someone will come along who knows.

Giggy
04-08-2009, 10:11 PM
The minimum height to ride alone on the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway is 4'4". A 12 year old should have no problem on this one. :mickey:

DisneyPrincess21
04-08-2009, 11:04 PM
The minimum height to ride alone on the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway is 4'4". A 12 year old should have no problem on this one. :mickey:

Yeah she will have NO problem she is already almost 5'0". She's going to be super excited when she finds out she gets to "drive" she doesn't know about this particular ride at wdw and I think it will probably be her favorite of the whole trip.

SBETigg
04-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Yeah she will have NO problem she is already almost 5'0". She's going to be super excited when she finds out she gets to "drive" she doesn't know about this particular ride at wdw and I think it will probably be her favorite of the whole trip.

I drove by myself there when I was twelve, my first trip. You're very aware that you're on a track and you move really slowly. It was way down on my list of great things at WDW. She'll get a kick out of the idea of it, but I think she'll prefer Test Track, even though she's not driving there. Definitely plan on hitting the Indy Speedway, and also Test Track. Have fun!

Diz-Knee
04-09-2009, 10:04 AM
A little thing to note about the speedway height restrictions - you have to be 52 inches to ride ALONE, however little ones can drive with grown ups. My three year old took the wheel last month! :)

Arielfan98
04-09-2009, 11:58 AM
I think it's fine if they ride together by themselves. Maybe it would just be better if you waited at the exit of the ride so they could see you when you got off.

DisneyPrincess21
04-09-2009, 12:20 PM
I think it's fine if they ride together by themselves. Maybe it would just be better if you waited at the exit of the ride so they could see you when you got off.

Yeah I think they will be fine also. My mom will be going with us so we can have one of us in the line with the kids and one at the exit waiting for them, I can't wait to go!

DisneyPrincess21
04-09-2009, 12:26 PM
I drove by myself there when I was twelve, my first trip. You're very aware that you're on a track and you move really slowly. It was way down on my list of great things at WDW. She'll get a kick out of the idea of it, but I think she'll prefer Test Track, even though she's not driving there. Definitely plan on hitting the Indy Speedway, and also Test Track. Have fun!

I think regardless of how fast she is going, or the fact that she is on a track, She is still going to love being by herself and driving a car. lol, She's funny like that. :D
She actually volunteered to help drive MY car on the way down to florida,(isn't she so sweet and thoughtful ;) )She said ":cool: If you get tired I can drive for you so you can sleep" To which I replied "Great! Then my car will get smashed into tons of pieces, and then we will Never make it to Disney World!" She laughed.:D

LVT
04-09-2009, 05:18 PM
I am taking my 2 niece's (8yr old and 12yr old) in December for their first trip, And the 8yr old wants to go on the teacups and I can't do ride's that spin. So I am wondering if there is an age limit for kids to ride alone, Or can the older sister (12yr old) go on with her? And does the age limit change for each ride, or is it the same over the whole park?

Tip off the 8 year old that she can spin faster
with the middle disk. That is what the "big"
kids go on the ride for. Maybe practice or
demonstrate the moves for her. A sense of
control makes a big difference.

princessgirls
04-09-2009, 05:35 PM
I waited in line with my girls for the teacups, and then put them on and did not go on with them. They are 8 & 7. No problems.

Morgan could drive her own car on the speedway. She is 54", so I got a car right behind her. Wanted her to have fun, and stop and go and do it herself.
She did enjoy the ride.
Julie:mickey: