PDA

View Full Version : Is the food at Chef Mickey's dinner worth it?

hope23
04-08-2009, 09:29 AM
I keep hearing mixed reviews about Chef Mickey's food... what do you think of it? We're scheduled to go for dinner on an up-coming trip, and I don't want to waste the $ if it's not that good since we have another character meal. So... is Chef Mickey's worth it? Is the dinner good? Thanks!

Adambomb85
04-08-2009, 09:45 AM
I would say, in a word: No. I went and was not a fan of the food or the atmosphere at Chef Mickey's for dinner. When I went things seemed to be sitting under hot lights for a little while. There was a carving station, but largely it was typical buffet-fare; and quite frankly, I found the dinner food served at other buffets (Crystal Palace in particular) to be much better than at Chef Mickey's. If you are doing another character meal, i would say, save your $$$ and do a dinner that may bring you better quality food! Hope that helps!

twinboyz
04-08-2009, 10:07 AM
I think the atmosphere is fantastic! The monorail overhead, characters all about, lots of fun for my two boys who were 5 the last time we ate there. The boys LOVED the buffet and I thought the food was OK. If your going there for the food, you may want to pick another venue. We went for the ambiance, and it was no disappointment. We would totally eat there again, but this next trip is w/o the little ones, so were passing on it this trip.

Good luck with whatever you decide..you're sure to get mixed reviews on this one.

JoDisney
04-08-2009, 10:32 AM
I would have to say it was not anything to write home about. We went for my son's birthday with friends. We had fun because we were all together with friends. I definitely would have chosen another place with better food. We have not gone back. My sons ask for Teppan Edo now! The food is wonderful!

#1donaldfan
04-08-2009, 01:06 PM
....if your looking for a fine dinning experience then maybe you could look elsewhere....however being at Disney, wanting a character dinner, then by all means it's a wonderful dinner. The atmosphere is great, fun, interactive. The food is the normal Disney buffet fare found at about any character dinner. Plus, you have the benefit of being right there, just mere minutes from the MK....you'll have fun, I'm sure.....!!!:mickey:

KylesMom
04-08-2009, 01:13 PM
While DH and I prefer Chef Mickey's for breakfast (ADR scheduled on 6/19), DS, who is 11, chose Chef Mickey's for dinner on his planned "day" on 6/23. He picked Ohana last year, but he really wanted to return to Chef Mickey's for dinner this trip.

The ambiance is fun, the food is good, and as another poster added, it's within walking distance of the MK after dinner! :mickey:

Charlee
04-08-2009, 01:23 PM
We thought it was worth it - the food is not fantastic but its standard buffet fare and enjoyable. I remember having a great server who was very attentive with drinks and removing the plates, offering to take pictures and generally being there when we needed him.
I would rate Chef Mickey highly for dinner! :thumbsup:

CaptSmee
04-08-2009, 03:17 PM
I thought it was very good. We all found different foods that we were fond of and all left with full bellies and a smile on our faces. The character interaction is some of the best on WDW. We have only been once, but would go again. Also, it is very hard to get dinner ADR's. If you have them I would not cancel.

Greenlawler
04-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Character Dinning fanatic here....

I would rank Chef Mickey's as an above average dinner experiance. The food is nothing to write home about but better than some of the other character buffets, the atmosphere is a little hectic, but the character interaction is good and their costumes are cool.

Hull-onian
04-08-2009, 04:18 PM
I have never had a disappointing moment at Chef Mickey's. If you have kids, it is the perfect place to take them. It is not fine dining by any means, but you won't leave there hungry. We are going twice in May. We are doing dinner and then a breakfast on the day we leave. I am actually looking forward to it. Good luck on your decision.:thumbsup:

javamama
04-08-2009, 04:33 PM
IMO not really, but we're not huge buffet people anyways. It had a good selection/variety, but nothing that wow'd us. Now I've heard 1900 Park Fare is better, we're taking our kiddos to this one this time, while the other have of our party is at Narcoosse.

tjstrike
04-09-2009, 04:32 AM
It remind me of Shoneys w/ disney characters running around but the kids enjoyed it. Crystal palace is better.

scootch713
04-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Guess we had a very different experience. In all our visits(almost yearly) it is our favorite food wise. Much better than 1900 park fare and the dinner we had at CP last year was awful. I love the carved prime rib, something I don't usually get to eat unless I am on vacation. I also enjoyed the tilapia they had. It is truly our favorite restaurant for food and characters.

illini
04-09-2009, 11:07 AM
We have found that the food at the buffets seems to be hit or miss, with it going from great to yuck even during the same trip. While in general we prefer the food at Crystal Palace, the experience at Chef Mickey's makes it worth it, IMO. Will you have kids with you? Do you want to spend some time with Mickey? If yes to either, then it's worth it. If not, then it probably isn't. The food's anywhere from OK to pretty good but not worth it on its own, IMO. We go for the experience.

tinksmom02
04-09-2009, 04:01 PM
I thought the food was better in Sept 08 than it was in Sept 07.

We like it, and consider it a must-do dinner each trip. DD gets to meet the fab 5, which means we do't have to chase them down in the parks.

It is loud though, and I would definitely not consider it fine dining. We think it's fun, though!

marlaine
04-09-2009, 04:55 PM
We've always gone to Crystal Palace on our first night for a character dinner. I've always wanted to try Chef Mickey's, but I've kind of been scared off by the reviews. This September, we're going to have dinner at CP, and then a breakfast at Chef Mickeys. :chef:

GrmGrninGost
04-09-2009, 06:19 PM
We liked the characters, but the food left a bit to be desired. From now on, Chef Mickeys is for breakfast ( we love it!). Our preference for a character buffet dinner is 1900 Park Fare! The food is usually very good and the characters (especially the step sisters) are wonderful! :mickey:

GoofyforFun
04-09-2009, 09:00 PM
[QUOTE=CaptSmee;1864887]I thought it was very good. We all found different foods that we were fond of and all left with full bellies and a smile on our faces. The character interaction is some of the best on WDW.
And how can you not like Goofy in the Chefs Costume. The chefs costumes make it worth the pictures and you get Minnie in her Apron.:minnie::minnie:

GINNY69
04-10-2009, 08:08 PM
We ate at Chef Mickeys during our last Trip for dinner. The food I thought was good. The character interactions was excellent.. We had a very good time.. I would dine there again.. I say give it a try..

Mickey'sGirl
04-10-2009, 08:23 PM
If you are removing the "character" component from the equation, then consider where you normally eat. If you usually dine out at chain establishments, then I think you will be more than pleased with the offerings at Chef Mickey's. The food, while not fabulously creative, is at least relatively unprocessed and fresh. We always enjoy our Chef Mickey's experiences. :thumbsup:

Hull-onian
04-11-2009, 09:15 AM
If you are removing the "character" component from the equation, then consider where you normally eat. If you usually dine out at chain establishments, then I think you will be more than pleased with the offerings at Chef Mickey's. The food, while not fabulously creative, is at least relatively unprocessed and fresh. We always enjoy our Chef Mickey's experiences. :thumbsup:

:ditto:

jensantuit
04-11-2009, 10:12 AM
We went to Chef Mickey's on our last trip for dinner and I have to say we weren't impressed with the food. Our boys were happy because they got to see the characters. We have also been for breakfast and that was much better. If we were to go again, it would probably be for breakfast.

DANAM
04-11-2009, 12:15 PM
I say no the food it's self is not worth it. There are so many other character meals that are sooo much better. We actually don't rank the atmoshpere that high either but I think our dislike of the food adds to that. Don't get me wrong the food isn't unedible it's just not that good.