PDA

View Full Version : tell me about 50's prime time diner and o'hana

tinkerddeedee
04-07-2009, 07:57 PM
I booked ressies for the 50's diner for dinner on Mother's Day! Should be lots of fun! And O'hana for breakfast (not the same day). Is there anything you can tell me about these places. What to expect, what kind of food, etc. Thanks!:mickey:
Also, what would you say are roughly the busy meal "times" ? IE dinner from 6-8 pm, at Disney?

Dsnygirl
04-08-2009, 03:53 AM
We ate at 50's Prime Time for the first time in January, and we were thrilled! Our waitress was a lot of fun -- made everyone eat their veggies, clean their plates, keep their elbows off the tables and say "please" and "thank you"... it was worth it to just not do the stuff just to get her to heckle you!! The food was good, too... I recommend the fried chicken, it's huge and 2 adult servings could easily serve a family of 4!! :thumbsup:

'Ohana for breakfast was wonderful, too... it's my kids' new favorite spot!! The good was great... mickey waffles, fresh fruit, delicious juice (I think it's called Lilikoi juice... YUMM...) pastries, eggs, bacon & sausage, all served right to your table, as much as you would like. The characters all come around for autographs and hugs -- we saw Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Lilo & Stitch! And the kids get to participate in a parade of sorts around the dining room w/ the characters... they LOVED it! So, I think you'll love this choice, too!

We've found the busiest dinner times to be b/w 5pm and 7:30... not many restaurants have walk-in times available, so if you're planning on eating during those times, I'd be sure to have ADR's, esp. at the popular spots!

tinkerddeedee
04-08-2009, 07:45 AM
thank you!!!!!:mickey:

Nini5055
04-08-2009, 09:26 AM
We went to 50's Prime Time and our server was "Cousin Vinnie" who threw straws at the kids (much to their delight), told one of the adults he was putting them in the "clean plate club" because it looked like they licked their plate clean. ROFL He interacted with the kids a lot...which they loved...he even took a picture with them! :thumbsup: The food is homestyle and good and the atmosphere is fun. You will have a great time! :mickey:

I too am going to OHana's for the first time, so I am interested to hear what others have to say.

Also, I would think anytime between 5pm to closing are busy dinner times.

Stu29573
04-08-2009, 10:26 AM
I really like the 50's Prime TIme. The last time I ate there I didn't eat my green beans, so the waitress got a huge amount on my fork, did the "airplane to your mouth" thing and had me take a teeny bite of one. much to everyone's delight!
Unfortunately, my new wife is a vegetarian and there aren't a whole lot of choices for her there (she also won't eat fried) so we opted for the Sci-Fi this time (it IS our honeymoon, so I guess I need to take her into consideration:blush:)

hauntedmansiongirl
04-09-2009, 03:01 PM
50s Prime Time Cafe is awsome! The fried chicken and milkshakes are amazing, as are the sundaes. If you're on DDP, you can get the milkshakes as your drink (same at Whispering Canyon Cafe).

The whole restaurant is set up like a house in the 50s. Formica tables, padded chairs, old style TVs playing clips from The Mickey Mouse Club, Father Knows Best etc.

The waiters and waitresses are all your "Aunts, Uncles or cousins" depending on how old they are. Some of them evern have photo albums in the sections with all of "your relatives" (past guests). It really is a lot of fun.

One thing to note- when they call you, they call the name the reservation is in, with "kids" added on the end (eg. Smith Kids, Peters Kids). It's fun, but seems to confuse a lot of people.

AmandaChan
04-10-2009, 12:24 PM
DH and I went to 50's Prime Time last year and we LOVED the experience. We went for lunch and it wasn't too busy. We got Aunt Elaine for our server and she made it fun. We had Just Married pins on and she kept picking on us telling everyone that we were cousins and we just got hitched. She brought us a cupcake and made us feed each other in front of everyone while she took a picture. She gave us an address to send the picture to put in the album but we never got around to it. The food was okay, I got the chicken caesar salad and DH got a burger I think. I wish I would have tried the meatloaf or something but I can't eat a heavy meal that early in the day. Maybe next time. The PB AND J shake is AWESOME!! We ordered one and there was enough in one to put in two to go cups. We almost went back in our trip just for the shake (we never geek out about desserts very much). I think the vast majority of people enjoy this place but if you're a stickler and hate being the center of attention don't go here!

DANAM
04-10-2009, 01:37 PM
We have never been to 50's but we LOVE 'ohanas for Breakfast and Dinner. The food is great and the entertainment is wonderful for the kids. Again we love this place but the service is okay here. If you need a drink make sure you ask before you run out.

MMFreak
04-10-2009, 03:38 PM
We LOVE the 50's! :thumbsup: We go every year and have such a great experience. The food is solid comfort food. I personaly love the pot roast but my daughter loves the meatloaf. It is soooo much fun. Just make sure you keep your elbows off the table :mickey:

Hull-onian
04-10-2009, 06:02 PM
When you go the 50"s mind your manners or you will be put in a chair facing the corner. But the food is sooo, good there. Best ever.:number1:

Ohana's is family style and everything there is tasty. We liked it.:thumbsup:

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
04-10-2009, 10:08 PM
50's Prime TIme is the first place we visit on our trip to Disney and the last place we visit before returning home! It is as if you step back in to 1960 (I was not born then) and elbows were not allowed on the table, nor hats worn at the table and manners were important! Most importantly, all vegetables were expected to be eaten. :mickey: Your server may be, "Mom, Cousin Chip or Aunt Edna, etc." It's as if you are at home with family and it's not unusual to become acquainted with your "neighboring table families" as either one of you may need help with the trivia "Mom" has given you to work on until your food arrives. It's a great time for all if you don't mind being renamed "Skip, Wally or Junior, etc." If you can "dish-it" and "take-it" all in fun, this is the place for you. Also, we love watching all the old black & white tv shows while we eat. Oh yes, and be prepared to set your table, just like at home. Definetly worth the visit to step back in time and make some wonderful "new" memories.

Dawn, Denise & Diane:wave::wave::wave:

Emptynest
04-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Is the fried chicken at Prime Time -- fried chicken breasts or real fried chicken? Hubby enjoys the fried chicken but doesn't like the boneless stuff.

tinkerddeedee
04-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Can't wait to try the pot roast. It will be so fun. Tried explaining it to my kids and they were shocked that they'd get in trouble for not eating beans. Heheheheehehheheheeee:silly:

dmosher
04-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Dw and I have not done O'hana yet (surprisingly), but 50's Prime Time is a lot of fun. My advice is to go between meals. The servers are more relaxed and have more fun, and it takes less time for food to arrive so you don't sit through reruns (you will understand when you get there). Eating here is like eating in my grandmothers house back in the day. The furniture, the ambiance, even wearing a dunce type hat if I didn't eat everything on my plate, or having to sing I'm a little Tea Pot, when I accidentally swore after dropping my knife. IN all %0's Prime Time has good food and if your server plays along, can be quite fun.
:pipes:
D

kemps@wdw
04-11-2009, 11:50 PM
We have eaten @ both places and really liked them. 50's has great old-fashioned comfort food in a 50's kitchen atmosphere, complete w/50's tv shows playing while you wait, and Servers who make sure that you"eat all your veggies" and "keep your elbows off the table". O'hanas is family-style w/great food and lots of it! Huge skewers of shrimp and meat pit-cooked and brought to your table w/plenty of sides. Some fun antics for the kids and a great view of the MK. You can view Wishes from there or stroll down to the beach and enjoy looking over the Seven Seas lagoon. (be sure and try the pineapple and warm carmel sauce). :cloud9:

dancin Disney style
04-12-2009, 12:01 PM
We love O'hana. It's our must do for every trip.

I equally love the breakfast and dinner but my family loves the breakfast more.

The bread pudding at dinner is to die for. I would love to just have a big bucket of that and nothing else.

Ask for a table in the grill room if possible. Then you can see them grill the big skewers.

i'm grumpy
04-12-2009, 05:32 PM
I want to go to prime time but our servers weren't so entertaining the last 2 times. :(

Loved O'hana but I don't see the pineapple bread on the menu. :confused: