PDA

View Full Version : U2 360 Tour

DanDisney
04-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Is anyone going to see U2 on there tour this fall? I am going to see them on Oct 1st in Charlottesville,Va. I am so excited! I got General Admission field tickets. I am not the biggest U2 fan but they are always a band I've always wanted to see live. It would be cool too see if anyone else was going to the C-ville show or any other show on there tour!

Ian
04-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Moving over to our Music forum ... hang on to them hats and glasses!!

Ian
04-07-2009, 04:13 PM
I have tickets to the D.C. show, but I may end up selling them and going to Tampa instead.

Have to see how it all plays out. One way or another I'll be seeing them at least once and maybe more than once if they come to Philly or if I decide to go to D.C. and Tampa.

Although, I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of the new album thus far. It's a little too much like what I like to call "The Dark Days" of U2 when they were releasing weird synth pop stuff like Lemon. :ack:

murphy1
04-07-2009, 04:33 PM
I have decided since seeing them three times now (once here in Atlanta, twice in Tampa), nothing will top Joshua Tree tour(I really didn't care for the POP tour). I loved them the first ten or so years and I think Bono is a great humanitarian. I listen to Rattle and Hum everytime I drive down to Florida. Ian, I totally agree on Lemon, yuck!! I do love The Edge!

Ian
04-08-2009, 07:11 AM
See, I saw them once on the Unforgettable Fire tour and five times on the Joshua Tree tour and, while I agree those were far and away the best shows, I actually thought the How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb tour was fantastic.

They sounded awesome, went back to playing some of their older stuff, and put on a top-notch show.

But I dunno ... I'm just not connecting with this new album.

barnaby
04-08-2009, 09:48 AM
I agree the Zooropa and Pop albums were pretty weak.

I like the new album alot. I think its good mix - has good sonic synth pop like the title track and "Get on your Boots" and older sounding, melodic stuff like "Magnificent" and "Moment of the Surrender".

One thing about U2 that I find very refreshing is that they are possibly the biggest band in the world and their last couple albums have become more spiritually-linked. That is a gamble commercially on their part in my opinion if you look at how secular or apathetic to spirtuality that many people are nowadays. Heck, if you look at the lyrics of songs like "Yahweh" and "Magnificent", they are basically are basically modern hymns.

I hope to go see them when they come to the Philly area.
Also, I read an interview with Bono and he mentioned they is a good chance they will put out a second album this year because they wrote so much new material for this latest album.

murphy1
04-08-2009, 09:56 AM
I will have to give their last album a listen then. I remember going to Pop and we just about died laughing over Bono coming out in this outfit ready to box, it was stupid. And Unfogettable Fire is one of the best albums ever.

Ian
04-09-2009, 07:43 AM
One thing about U2 that I find very refreshing is that they are possibly the biggest band in the world and their last couple albums have become more spiritually-linked. That is a gamble commercially on their part in my opinion if you look at how secular or apathetic to spirtuality that many people are nowadays. Heck, if you look at the lyrics of songs like "Yahweh" and "Magnificent", they are basically are basically modern hymns.I agree. Although I suspect it flies over most people's heads, which is why it doesn't hurt them commerically.

Honestly, they've been like this since they formed. I mean they used to close every show with "40", which is nothing more than a recitation of Psalm 40 set to music.

I hope to go see them when they come to the Philly area.Are they coming to Philly? I haven't seen any Philly dates announced?

And Unfogettable Fire is one of the best albums ever.I agree totally. It's very unique sounding. Like nothing else.

barnaby
04-09-2009, 09:47 AM
I agree. Although I suspect it flies over most people's heads, which is why it doesn't hurt them commerically.

Honestly, they've been like this since they formed. I mean they used to close every show with "40", which is nothing more than a recitation of Psalm 40 set to music.

Agreed there on both points. Definetely goes over most people's heads and Bono has always written lyrics with a spiritual feel ie. 40. I just think they have gotten even more religiously-rooted.

Are they coming to Philly? I haven't seen any Philly dates announced?

Nothing announced, but I figure they will because they always do.

DanDisney
04-12-2009, 12:47 PM
I agree too, I love the new album! It has alot of good songs. Its one of the best albums ive heard in a long time. Funny because this is the only whole u2 album ive listened too. You really have to listen to the whole album,not just 30 second snippets on itunes. I wonder also if some people might be avoiding it because of bad reviews.

U2 is supposed to be touring next year in 2010, so they will be hitting alot of places they didnt hit this time such as Philly. Also U2 just signed a 12 year deal with live nation so I guess they will be touring for awhile. That will bring them into there 60's, which is kinda weird. But I guess if the stones can do it, I guess they can!

Ian
04-13-2009, 10:34 AM
I agree too, I love the new album! It has alot of good songs. Its one of the best albums ive heard in a long time. Funny because this is the only whole u2 album ive listened too. You really have to listen to the whole album,not just 30 second snippets on itunes. I wonder also if some people might be avoiding it because of bad reviews.That's definitely not the case with me.

Outside of Pop and Zooropa (which I won't listen to at all), I listen to every other U2 album from start to finish when I put them on.

So I listened to this one from start to finish after I first got it and it just didn't do it for me. There's a few songs that I like a little bit, but others I just don't care for at all.

But in fairness, I should admit that when I first listened to Achtung Baby I didn't like it either. But it grew on me until now it's one of my favorite U2 albums.

Frog
04-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Whether you like the albums or not, you have to admit, their shows are a lot of fun to attend!