PDA

View Full Version : Voices of Liberty--Ick!

PeterJ911
04-06-2009, 04:28 PM
This might be just me, but the Voices of Liberty at the American Adventure pavillion completely annoy me. Note that I am a musician/singer and appreciate close harmonies as much as the next person, and have done a lot of choral singing over the years, so I know some of what I'm talking about. Everything the VoL sing, they put a "pop" spin on. Every note--especially in the higher voices--gets the "swoop" treatment and ends up sounding so saccharine it makes my teeth hurt. We were just there last week and listened to them (couldn't avoid it), and they sang what could have been a nice arrangement of one of my favorite songs of all time--"Shennandoah." But they butchered it. Cripes, people--you're technically very good! Just sing the darn songs straight!

PetefromRI
04-06-2009, 06:05 PM
My wife and I both love this group.My wife also has an extensive background in choral and she absolutly loves them.To each his own I guess.We're looking to see them in May.

readytogo2
04-06-2009, 07:08 PM
ive got to agree with you PeterJ.

DreamFinder2
04-06-2009, 07:10 PM
My DW (who is a singer and vocal instructor) and I like VoL, but agree with the over-the-top sweetness sometimes. If you forget any vocal training you may have ever had, they're kind of fun to listen to. But, if you're there to critique them, it could be a long 25 minute performance :blush:

Having said that, the VoL are the only reason we ever go into the AA pavillion, since we think the attraction itself is boring :mickey:

Dulcee
04-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Oh, We've always loved the Voices of Liberty and usually make it a point to seek them out. I've always appreciated them taking classical arrangements and making them their own... makes it more interesting for the listener i think..

hubbyofadisneyholic
04-06-2009, 07:52 PM
To each his/her own...but I am there to enjoy not critique.
If I'm in a critical mood, there are plenty of more obvious things to nit-pick. ;)

CaptSmee
04-06-2009, 08:13 PM
I enjoy Voices of Liberty but have found them often quite boring and more old fashioned sounding than contemporary. American Vybe were contemporary, and I miss them very much. :(

Tigerinvestigator
04-06-2009, 11:14 PM
We heard them sing "ole man river" last trip and it was terrific. Being from the Memphis area it has a special place in my heart.:thumbsup:

"DoYouHaveYourParkPass?"
04-07-2009, 12:59 AM
:mickey: Well I'm not a music expert but I love to go and hear the VoL - try to see them a couple of times during my stay if I can. I'm looking forward to introducing my DGD to them in a couple of days.

thejens
04-07-2009, 01:41 AM
I prefer the barbershop quartet that sings on Main Street! They can't be beat for all-American close harmonies.

EPCOTGAL1
04-07-2009, 06:46 AM
Well, I am a musician and choral singer/soloist as well and I cannot miss them and drag my family in there each and every time. Sometimes I'm not successful at this because they get a "beverage" :beer: and gee, they "can't go in there with a beverage"... I listen to them and have to "forget" everything I learned as a choral member (no scooping, etc.). BUT, that is how their music is arranged and their harmony and pitch is usually "point on". They are very pleasing to listen to but it's not for everyone. My favorites are "When you Wish Upon a Star" and "Let there be Peace on Earth". As for their 1st Sopranos...?? well, the fact that they must hit a high E(flat) give a 1/2 step either way (assuming my piano needs tuning) is quite something! I have never been able to catch the Barbershop in MK but I do miss Four for a Dollar at HS - I thought they were great before BatB. All are very talented!

CaptainSad
04-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Ok, Have we all become Simon Cowells? Gosh people, if you don't like it don't go. There are millions of people that enjoy the Voices of Liberty like myself. I enjoy them doing songs for the Christmas season also. They are just singers. If you want to be a judge, they have that American Idol Wanabee garbage over at DHS. Talk about ick...

drummerboy
04-07-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm with PeterJ911 about the pop 'swoop' being thrown in. It's fine for contemporary songs (and preferable for many of them) but out of place in traditional songs. Same goes for classical singing in pop songs--I remember when renowned opera singer Beverly Sills tried to sing the pop song, "Downtown"; it was awful. "On Golden Wings" is my favorite song from AA, but the more recent version that puts pop singing with an orchestral background is a bit strange to me.

The fact that someone is bothered by the way it's sung doesn't translate into a 'critique' to me. As someone said, to each his own, and it simply means that it doesn't appeal to the OP.

brownie
04-07-2009, 09:27 AM
We enjoyed listening to them, but I believe we've only heard them at Christmas. As long as it sounds good to me, I'm okay with however they sing it (no musical training for me!)

Bass T-bone
04-07-2009, 12:03 PM
This might be just me, but the Voices of Liberty at the American Adventure pavillion completely annoy me. Note that I am a musician/singer and appreciate close harmonies as much as the next person, and have done a lot of choral singing over the years, so I know some of what I'm talking about. Everything the VoL sing, they put a "pop" spin on. Every note--especially in the higher voices--gets the "swoop" treatment and ends up sounding so saccharine it makes my teeth hurt. We were just there last week and listened to them (couldn't avoid it), and they sang what could have been a nice arrangement of one of my favorite songs of all time--"Shennandoah." But they butchered it. Cripes, people--you're technically very good! Just sing the darn songs straight!

Amen...

I know exactly what you mean. I am a fellow musician as well. Another example of distorted music/harmonies is everybody's interpretation of the "Star Spangled Banner" I just want to hear it sung cleanly without all the ornamentation. It's hard enough to sing as it is...

NJGIRL
04-07-2009, 12:30 PM
I have to disagree. I love them. I am not a musician or a singer and normally I don't listen to that kind of music but I LOVE the Voices of Liberty and listen to them every trip.

MNNHFLTX
04-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Sorry they struck a bad chord with you (no pun intended). I have heard what you are talking about but all the times I have listened to them perform they have sang enough traditional tunes the "traditional" way that I have never found them over-the-top. And the way they engage the audience, young and old, is heartwarming.

Mousemates
04-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Voices of Liberty :thumbsup:

Off Kilter :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ThanxForNoticin
04-07-2009, 07:11 PM

This is an opinion board and everyone can speak their view. But I truly believe you are very much in the minority on this one. I come from a Barbershoppers background, and VOL are always a highlight of our trip. We will often go to hear them more than once when we're at EPCOT. Their talent and the songs they sing are always inspiring. And their Christmas performances?? I usually get goosebumps. I'm sorry you don't enjoy it.

DizneyFreak2002
04-07-2009, 07:28 PM
I don't usually hang around to listen to VoL sing.. But, when I do, I think they are very good...

cindchan
04-07-2009, 07:57 PM
I sung in choir in high school, did musical theatre for over 15 years, have played piano and guitar. I like Voices. Have there been better groups? Yes. But for crying out loud! Stop looking for things to critique and just settle back and enjoy. I just simply love music, and so long as it doesn't make my ears bleed (like AI), I'm content. :sing:

It's Disney, folks. Stop griping and just enjoy. :D

GrmGrninGost
04-07-2009, 08:30 PM
The Voices of Liberty are great! (IMHO) Since we finally heard them, they are a can't miss for me!

Oh, by the way, count me as another vote for wishing 4 for a Dollar would be brought back! They were my favorites!

DisneyGlutton
04-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Having said that, the VoL are the only reason we ever go into the AA pavillion, since we think the attraction itself is boring :mickey:

Seriously?! I'm not a jingoist, but AA gives me chills, especially the Civil War part of the show. I like VoL b/c it distracts my fellow guests so I can get closer to the theater entrance and get my aisle seat;)

DreamFinder2
04-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Seriously?! I'm not a jingoist, but AA gives me chills, especially the Civil War part of the show. I like VoL b/c it distracts my fellow guests so I can get closer to the theater entrance and get my aisle seat;)

I know, I know...I'm just not much of a history buff, so it kind of turns me off. The show is well done, to be sure. To each his/her own, I guess. :D

ThanxForNoticin
04-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Oh, by the way, count me as another vote for wishing 4 for a Dollar would be brought back! They were my favorites!

I'm with you on this one, too. I really enjoyed those 15 minutes before Beauty and the Beast - fun and entertaining.

Boojum
04-08-2009, 02:30 PM
I love VoL, as well as the AA pavilion.

Going slightly off topic: when we were there this past October, we were watching and listening to VoL. The lady who is the leader/coordinator/whatever of the group asked us to applaud the members of our armed forces.

Well, some of the people watching and listening actually found it necessary to start booing at this point--I was flabbergasted, but VoL handled it well. They immediately started singing "God Bless America," and the cheering and clapping drowned out the booing.

Goes4FastPass
04-08-2009, 04:03 PM
I think VOL has certainly gotten more scoopy-poppy over the years.

My wife and I attended our 3rd or 4th Candlelight Processional last year. I couldn't quite express why the music style didn't ding me. Then my wife summed it up: "It's very Lawrence Welk-ee".

But I'm not really sure VOL should be "serious". I don't think people go to WDW to listen to concert hall music.

Simba's Mom
04-08-2009, 06:05 PM
At least you admitted that they are technically very good. DS was a musician for Disney and they had several weeks of rehearsal with Disney before they were allowed out in the parks. Disney wants a certain "way" of singing (or in his case, playing). You might hear the VOL put a very different slant on things in a different venue.

dolphinmickey9170
04-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Ok, Have we all become Simon Cowells? Gosh people, if you don't like it don't go. There are millions of people that enjoy the Voices of Liberty like myself. I enjoy them doing songs for the Christmas season also. They are just singers. If you want to be a judge, they have that American Idol Wanabee garbage over at DHS. Talk about ick...:ditto:

brianjdu4
04-09-2009, 02:37 PM
It's just you.

MNNHFLTX
04-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Moderator Warning--

I just want to remind everyone that people should certainly be able to post about what they dislike at Disney World, as well as what they like, without being criticized by others. As is demonstrated by several posts in this thread, the OP is not alone in their opinion. So whether you agree or disagree, please do so in a way that is respectful to your fellow INTERCOT members.

big blue and hairy
04-09-2009, 06:54 PM
I think they are terrific. I understand what you're saying about scooping, and the saccharine sound, but really...where are you? Disney is all about saccharine...:D

from MNNHFLTX Sorry they struck a bad chord with you (no pun intended). Suuuuuurrrre...likely story...;)

:sulley:

acetate
04-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Loved Voices of Liberty. Wish I had bought theor CD. Maybe next trip in December.

PeterPan
04-11-2009, 12:57 AM
I have been coming to Intercot for years. Never once have I seen a post that was critical of Voices.

I respect your right to an opinion.

As a way of qualifying my opinion, let me just say I am not just a musician, I am a professional musical who has earned his living being a choral director all my life. I have three degrees in Music from major Universities.

The Voices of Liberty are among the finest choral groups in America, period.

You may disagree with the style - I can understand that - but as far as their execution, it is flawless. They are a reflection of ONE MAN - Derric Johnson. The way The Voices of Liberty sound is totally shaped by the vocal philosophy of this one man. Voices produce his signature sound, a sound he has been famous for for many years. He is a premier vocal arranger, director, stylist, technician.

MILLIONS are delighted every year by the thrilling sound of this spectacular group. Out of the millions who are delighted, it only stands to reason that there will be a few who take exception to the sounds that Voices make.

I am TRULY sorry you find Voices to be annoying. I can name any of a dozen MUCH more annoying styles of music that are out there - some that actually make me ill.

The sounds that Voices make never fails to thrill me to the very core of my being.

TheVBs
04-11-2009, 08:34 AM
We've never heard them sing, but after reading all the praise here, we're definitely going to have to make a point to catch them! :mickey:

Daddy Mouse
04-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Voices of Liberty :thumbsup:

Off Kilter :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I agree! as punishment for all the Simon Cowell's of the world; you will have to listen to me sing for one song. Guaranteed to bring tears (not of joy) to your eyes.

handmaidenofprincesses
04-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Going slightly off topic: when we were there this past October, we were watching and listening to VoL. The lady who is the leader/coordinator/whatever of the group asked us to applaud the members of our armed forces.

Well, some of the people watching and listening actually found it necessary to start booing at this point--I was flabbergasted, but VoL handled it well. They immediately started singing "God Bless America," and the cheering and clapping drowned out the booing.

The behavior of some people in these situations is downright pathetic. I'm gad the VOL handled it tactfully...

The Voices of Liberty are among the finest choral groups in America, period.
:ditto:

Like many others on here, I *love* VoL, and I too am a musician (in my case, I'm choral singer and I'm also being classically trained as an opera singer) Yes, there are a few scoops that wouldn't have been used in traditional arrangements, but they aren't playing to a traditional audience either.

They're playing to a bunch of people in a theme park, most of whom would probably not be popping "Shenandoah" or "Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair" into their CD players at home. They're there to entertain a crowd of people who are most likely hot and tired, waiting for the show to begin, people from around the USA, and the world, many of whom probably prefer hip hop and rap to choral music. The music has to hold the attention of the crowd without losing the authenticity and historic feel that makes it traditional American folk music- and that's what Derric Johnson's arrangements do; it updates the music- utilizing beautiful harmonies, excellent dynamics and, yes, the occasional scoop that makes every classically trained musician's brain backfire- so that it touches the hearts of the sweaty, impatient theme park crowd and brings that music and the history that makes it so uniquely American just a little bit closer to them... And I think it's wonderful.

stitch34
04-11-2009, 06:32 PM

I am another vote for 4 for a Dollar. I enjoyed them so much...even as much as the B&B show. I'm so upset they're are no longer there.:(

That being said, I also come from a music background and have only seen VoL one time but thought they did a very good job. :thumbsup:

Granny Jill A
04-14-2009, 03:18 PM
I loved listening to the VOL singers several years ago, but the next trip was a disappointment. They embellished some of their songs, and I drifted away at that point.

I'm a purist when it comes to music. I like to hear the song the way it was written, thank you very much. This habit of adding extra notes so the young ones will stay to listen, is most irritating.

What's next? Beethoven's 5th - dah-dah-dah-dahhhhh - beep boop dah boop, bop?

SBETigg
04-14-2009, 03:30 PM
What's next? Beethoven's 5th - dah-dah-dah-dahhhhh - beep boop dah boop, bop?

Didn't someone do a disco version of that in the seventies?

BluewaterBrad
04-14-2009, 03:33 PM
We love the Voices of Liberty. Usually try to see at least twice per trip!!:mickey:

TheRustyScupper
04-14-2009, 04:16 PM
1) Wait a minute.
2) Can you hear it coming?
3) My 2¢ rolling, rolling, rolling down hill.
4) You KNEW I'd have an opinion.
5) Didn't you?

6) In my singular opinion
. . . the singers have pretty darn good voices
. . . they harmonize quite well
. . . they sometimes are generous with the hand gestures
. . . the songs have been arranged "creatively"
7) Overall
. . . I really enjoy their singing
. . . sometimes I would prefer a different arrangement
. . . we will continue to go back to hear them each trip

ShanPooh
04-14-2009, 04:26 PM

Hooked on Classics - brought to you by K-Tel Records

Pardon me, my age is showing :blush:

maxrebo77
04-14-2009, 04:43 PM
I love the VOL. A perfect beginning to the AA show which always brings a tear to my eye. They always remind me too of the "pretty part of the show" at HDD.
Excuse me, I have to listen to my cassette of Golden Dreams now.

:thumbsup:

Granny Jill A
04-15-2009, 03:35 PM

Oh yeah.... I forgot about that one. Darn - now I can't get it out of my mind.

LauraF
04-16-2009, 09:54 AM
I and my BF both enjoy listening to their harmonies (and we're both professional choral singers). We know VOL's arrangements are contrived - that's the POINT. The chord progressions are very predictable, and often one or both of us are humming lightly under our breath the next modulation. (Quietly enough not to bother anyone, thanks.)

It doesn't make them any less fun. Just because my director would shoot me if I tried any of those vocal acrobatics makes it a naughty pleasure to go listen. :D

big blue and hairy
04-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Hooked on Classics - brought to you by K-Tel Records

Pardon me, my age is showing :blush:
Actually, I think the reference was to A Fifth of Beethoven, by Walter Murphy and the Big Apple Band.

:sulley:

TikiGoddess
04-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Like many others on here, I *love* VoL, and I too am a musician (in my case, I'm choral singer and I'm also being classically trained as an opera singer) Yes, there are a few scoops that wouldn't have been used in traditional arrangements, but they aren't playing to a traditional audience either.

They're playing to a bunch of people in a theme park, most of whom would probably not be popping "Shenandoah" or "Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair" into their CD players at home. They're there to entertain a crowd of people who are most likely hot and tired, waiting for the show to begin, people from around the USA, and the world, many of whom probably prefer hip hop and rap to choral music. The music has to hold the attention of the crowd without losing the authenticity and historic feel that makes it traditional American folk music- and that's what Derric Johnson's arrangements do; it updates the music- utilizing beautiful harmonies, excellent dynamics and, yes, the occasional scoop that makes every classically trained musician's brain backfire- so that it touches the hearts of the sweaty, impatient theme park crowd and brings that music and the history that makes it so uniquely American just a little bit closer to them... And I think it's wonderful.

:ditto:

I cry every time I hear VOL sing. Can't make it through "When You Wish Upon a Star" without a tissue. I'm a choral singer -- music teacher -- trained vocalist... and I just love the group.

Kathy

Goes4FastPass
04-18-2009, 08:55 PM
I think criticizing the VoL and/or explaining why I have the credentials I think I have would put no zipadee do dah in my day.

If I told my old voice teacher that VoL scoops he'd say, "When did you forget how to relax and have fun?"

Rhetoric2000
04-20-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm glad I'm not alone in this.

I actually used to like Voices of Liberty - they never did it for me like 4 for a Dollar - but they were enjoyable.

But a few years ago I don't know whether something changed or its just me but - as the OP said - everything just started to sound uber-saccharine; and including singing impressive passages purely because they sounded difficult and not because they were actually serving the song. This Christmas I actually went into the museum part to get away from it.

I will readily admit that they remain flawless in the actual execuation - but what they are executing these days is something that I find really, really difficult to listen to.

Gator
04-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Dude, I've been singing fourpart gospel for over 20 years. And not some lousy wannabe band - we've had nationwide recognition for countless years....so you could say I'm an expert in the field of harmony. And you're TOTALLY WRONG about the Voices of Liberty. I hear great groups all the time and they barely move me. But the VOL bring me to tears nearly every time. You think their version of Shenhendoah is bad? That's crazy. That's their best song. They're incredible when they do it. Why would I want to travel to Epcot to hear someone just sing the way a song was written...plain and bland? I can hear any local part time choir sing plainly and poorly. Maybe that's the stuff you like. Do you really enjoy junior high school bands?

deedeenmickey
04-20-2009, 08:21 PM
I know nothing about music but I love the VOL. I am usually embarassed by the tears rolling down my face.:cloud9:

brad192
04-21-2009, 12:58 AM
You have to understand it's all about the delivery of the performance.

I've sung in choruses as small as 4, and as large as 250 since I was 13. What was impressed upon me in each & every situation was -

1. You've got to tailor your performance for the audience you're performing for.

2. You've got to be technically wonderful.

3. Ya Gotta SELL IT!

VOL does ALL of these things with their performances, and the arrangements are a big part of that. Derrick Johnson's arrangements are perfect for the venue they were created for. Indeed, they are NOT anywhere near "choral perfection", but they convey a distinct message.

* Choral music can be fun.

* The messages conveyed within American music are both beautiful & moving.

* They evoke an distict, strong emossion from the audience.

What more could a performer, or arranger, want?

Sure, VoL aren't the perfect "Choral Group", but I still think they're one of the best in delivering thier product.

VoL ROCKS!

Wendy on Pixie Dust
04-21-2009, 01:54 PM
VoL are okay but I agree with Capt Smee - we really loved American Vybe and wish they would return!

Floridian Yeti
04-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Cripes, people--you're technically very good! Just sing the darn songs straight!

Personally, I think you nailed it. Just my two cents, but I have Peter's back on this one.

It seems I enjoy VoL's style less every time I hear it. If I were watching TV and a choral group with a similar delivery came on, I'd probably change the channel, but only after making some snide (yet very witty and insightful!:thumbsup:) comments.

Mickey91
04-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Gee Wiz... lighten up a little...If you don't like VOL then don't go when they are singing. They only perform at certain times and aren't hard to miss. But, you are missing the point of the group. They bring life into the old folk songs of our beautiful country for both Americans and those just visiting. The fact that you have started a thread about them proves that they are unforgettable as are their songs. I hope their message lives on in all of those living in and visiting the US. It is a beautiful history of where we started and where we are going.

maxrebo77
04-25-2009, 03:31 AM
Well said.

AHOTE
04-25-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm neither a professional singer or a music major but I know what I like. I've always enjoyed hearing the VOL sing but the most memorable performance I ever witness was on 09/11/2008. They sang as part of a wreath laying ceremony at the flagpole on Main Street. There were very few dry eyes that day and their voices added something very special to that event. I'll never forget that day. :flag: