PDA

View Full Version : Question about GAC card regarding autism - conflicting information

dntccc
04-06-2009, 01:50 PM
I have received some conflicting information from WDW cast members and a WDW guest relations representative regarding one of the GAC rules. On our last trip (March 2009) we got a GAC card for our son who has autism. The only rules we were given by guest relations when we got the card was to show the cast member the card and then we would be directed to either the FP lane or an alternate entrance (which turned out to be the W/C entrance most of the time). We assumed that our son had to be with us to use the card. Anytime my wife and I wanted to ride something he either could not due to height requirements or would not ride, we would either use the standard entrance and child-swap or we would get Fast Passes. A few times when we used the card, the cast member checked to see that our son was with us. One time I asked a cast member about how to use the card at the Nemo ride (this was because she just told us to go through the normal line since the wait was minimal but I was curious if we could use it on the ride if the wait was long) and she said as long as our son was with us. However, on our last day at WDW, at the Rock-n-Roller Coaster at HS, a cast member supervisor (I can not remember what his exact title was) told me that our son did not have to be with us to use the card, and that the cast members who told us otherwise were incorrect. He said that the purpose of the card, in our situation, was so that our son could avoid long waits (and crowds). He said that when my wife and I would ride a ride that he did not want to ride, without the card, he would still have to potentially wait a long time, thus defeating the purpose of the card. He asked me if I could remember the cast member that had said to me that our son had to be with us, and at the time I could not. He said that if it happened again to ask for a cast member supervisor. He also gave me his name and told me to refer to him if I had any trouble.

After the trip, I sent an email to guest relations about another incident that happened on the Tower of Terror. I decided to comment on the GAC as well. A representative contacted me via phone about the Tower of Terror. She did not know about the GAC incident, and I told her. She said that the cast member at the Rock-n-Roller Coaster (HS) was incorrect, and that the other cast members were correct. She said that several years ago, what the cast member at HS told me used to be the case. However, she said that people would abuse this rule, and thus, they changed the rule. She agreed that she thought it should be that way, and she said that in those cases where our son does not want to ride or can not ride to ask the cast member anyway about using the GAC for an alternate entrance and sometimes, they will let you.

Does anyone on this site know what the actual rule is regarding this?

wdw_bound
04-07-2009, 10:18 PM
since the card is issued for our daughter, we have only used it with our daughter.

On occasions that I wanted to ride something without her, she and DH would go do something else and I would meet back up with them. I would feel very uncomfortable doing otherwise. If it were an attraction that DH and I were both interested in, we would utilize the child swap.

We have a handicap tag for parking. We only use it when she is traveling with us. IMHO, this amounts to the same thing.

I am however, not surprised that you received conflicting information from CMs - we have heard different info multiple times on the same trip. At POTC, we can almost guarantee that will happen. On our last trip, she stayed in her special needs stroller until it was time to board the boat. After a brief stop to buy pirate ears, we went to get back in line, and I was asked "Can she walk? If she can walk, you need to park the stroller." But we have a GAC, and have just used the stroller in line. "They should not have let you. If she is capable of walking she needs to walk - it's not very far" We have a GAC and will be using the stroller in line. "If she can walk..." While Disney does a better job than anyone else enabling folks of all abilities to enjoy a magical vacation, they do have staff that are not completely up to speed, and, somehow, they seem to be the ones who come off as knowing what they are talking about better than anyone else.

Hayden's Dad
04-08-2009, 09:47 AM
I would have to agree with the above post. The card was issued for our son and in essence is his so I would feel uncomfortable using it without him.

On our last trip, she stayed in her special needs stroller until it was time to board the boat. After a brief stop to buy pirate ears, we went to get back in line, and I was asked "Can she walk? If she can walk, you need to park the stroller." But we have a GAC, and have just used the stroller in line. "They should not have let you. If she is capable of walking she needs to walk - it's not very far" We have a GAC and will be using the stroller in line. "If she can walk..."

I would have to have found a supervisor for this one. Did you have the red sticker stating that her stroller is used as a wheelchair? Make sure you have that. We had similar situations at Toontown for the characters but thankfully it was only once.

dntccc
04-09-2009, 09:22 AM
I would have to agree with the above post. The card was issued for our son and in essence is his so I would feel uncomfortable using it without him.

We assumed that our son had to be with us to use the card and did not attempt to use it otherwise until we were told by the cast member supervisor at HS that we could. I was posting this to ask if anyone on this forum knew what the correct rule was. As I said, we received conflicting information from cast members and from the representative that called me.

gerald72
04-19-2009, 08:15 AM
I believe the child has to be with you. If not, it is abuse because he is not waiting at all, and could be off doing something fun.

alaMode
04-19-2009, 01:05 PM
we don't need to use the GAC without him.

When we want to ride something and he doesn't, we get FPs or wait in line.

Tess

dntccc
04-20-2009, 03:47 PM
I believe the child has to be with you. If not, it is abuse because he is not waiting at all, and could be off doing something fun.

I disagree. It would not necessarily be abuse depending on the child. Our son does not handle long waits very well. So in the event that he did not want to ride a ride or could not ride, if my wife or I had to wait in the normal line, he would have to wait for the same time until whichever of us rode were done, which could potentially be a while. Not all attractions at DW are where there is an alternative near by that a child could do. The cast member supervisor and the guest relations representative that called me also agree that it is not abuse. The guest relations person said that the rule changed because people did abuse it but she agreed that she thought it should still be that way.

alaMode
04-20-2009, 05:43 PM
My DH LOVES Tower of Terror, but my DS doesn't...that sensation just isn't his cup of tea!

My DH gets a FP or waits in line for ToT, while my son and I ride something my son enjoys. My son uses his GAC and I accompany him. We make plans to meet up with DH or DH calls us when he's almost on ToT and we keep doing what DH enjoys until we can meet up with DH at ToT.

I understand what you are saying about your son waiting for you to get off a ride, but IMO the GAC should be used by the person who actually requires the assistance while enjoying an attraction.

Tess

joanna71985
04-20-2009, 07:51 PM
I've always been told that the person, who the GAC is for, has to be with you to use the GAC.

brigidfirst
05-29-2009, 01:02 PM
I must ask. But what is a GAC card?

joanna71985
05-29-2009, 07:43 PM
I must ask. But what is a GAC card?

A GAC is the Guest Assistance Card. It is a card that shows CMs if guests have any hidden disabilities, or things like that (like need to be out of the sun, using a stroller in the queue line, ect).