PDA

View Full Version : DHS star wars evening events?

thejens
04-06-2009, 01:46 PM
We plan to visit the studios twice during our upcoming trip, once before the star wars weekends starts and once during. This is my least favorite park so I thought we'd leave by late afternoon both days. Is there anything exciting we'd miss on the star wars day? I recall disliking the Star Wars Hoopla last time, and certainly could miss that. We liked the parade and wandering around seeing the characters. Of course the Jedi training was a highlight (if you're lucky enough to be chosen!) Thanks.

JPL
04-06-2009, 04:06 PM
The hoopla is the last event of the evening and there really isn't anything scheduled after that.

rkwctw
04-06-2009, 07:42 PM
We will be there for Star Wars weekend as well and have never been. What is Star Wars Hoopla? My daughter is a big fan and wants to do it all.
:mickey:

CaptSmee
04-06-2009, 08:24 PM
We will be there for Star Wars weekend as well and have never been. What is Star Wars Hoopla? My daughter is a big fan and wants to do it all.
:mickey:

It's a closing show that they hold each evening. Kind of like a variety show for Star Wars geeks, I mean fans. I thought it was funny and entertaining! Also, you can see or participate in Jedi Training Academy daily now.

thejens
04-07-2009, 01:47 AM
The problem with the hoopla in my opinion is that it is more of a spoof than a true Star Wars show. It could be funny for adults or even teens. For my kids, who adore Star Wars, it was disappointing to see Darth Vader disco dancing and hear the other characters make corny jokes. I guess it really annoys me because Disney is so careful to keep all the other characters "in character." The Jedi training is magical for kids. They felt like they REALLY faced and defeated the dark side. The hoopla to me was a travesty, undermining the spirit of the movies and of the day.
But I have been accused of taking things too seriously!!!

MOJoe
04-07-2009, 10:54 AM
To answer your original question, you already know about the parade, character meetings and Jedi Training. The other events include celebrity greetings (if you get in line early enough) Legends, a talk show featuring the celebrities, and the Padawan Mind Challenge, a trivia contest for the youngsters. Are these things exciting? For my youngest, meeting some of the Star Wars actors is the highlight of his trip. For yours........?

As to the Hoopla. I really do understand how you feel about this. For a young child, seeing Darth Vader dance could be like seeing dad eat the cookies and place the gifts under the Christmas Tree. But to call it a travesty is just unfair. Unfair to the majority who knows that, like Santa, Star Wars is a story.
I'm sorry that the Hoopla ruined the magic for you. But for my family, it is something we enjoy. We thought it was very fun and very entertaining. It is on our list of must do events this year. Because where else in the world can you dance along side R2D2?

Again, i'm sorry you were disappointed. You are so correct saying that Disney does a great job keeping the characters "real." But a little fun at the end of the day is really not that inappropriate.

Woozle
04-07-2009, 01:48 PM
We are going to be there for Star Wars weekend and my mom is a HUGE Vader fan (her office is all DV), are there opportunities where we would be able to get her pic done with him?

KylesMom
04-07-2009, 02:13 PM
We are going to be there for Star Wars weekend and my mom is a HUGE Vader fan (her office is all DV), are there opportunities where we would be able to get her pic done with him?
Absolutely - but be prepared. This was the single-longest line we waited for in June of '07 (for anythingl)! :mickey: Find out where he's going to be located at, and get there. Not sure where he was last year, but the year before he was across from the Backlot Tour.

thejens
04-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the info. The kids might enjoy the trivia. Yes, my kids loved seeing the character who are usually in character and are really fun. They loved getting autographs and we did spend a lot of time in lines! I am hoping maybe maybe we don't need to get so many autographs this year, but we'll see. We liked the parade and the Jedi training. I can see how the Hoopla might be fun for adults, but I still think it is un-Disney like. Imagine if Cinderella made risque gestures or if Snow White and the Evil Queen started doing the bump? It's just wrong!:mickey: