PDA

View Full Version : Seas Aqua Tour

Keneva
04-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Has anyone done the Seas Aqua Tour? It would probably be me (DH49) and my DD8. Is it worth the price? Do you have to tread water the whole time or do you have something to float around on? How crowded can the tour get? Any other comments? Thanks for your insights.:shark:

Strmchsr
04-04-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm doing it with DS8 this May. I know only a limited number of folks are allowed, you're in the tank for about 30 min. and everyone I've talked to who has done it says it's definitely worth it.

poeticeclipse
04-06-2009, 12:08 PM
DH and I did it last May for our 1st anniversary present :) And let me tell you... we would do it again in a heartbeat! It was so worth it.

We met at guest relations at a specific time (around noon) and we were the only two of the day so we had the tank to ourselves. The CM that showed us around was a really great guy. Very informative and since we are laid back people I think he fed off of that and relaxed some with us. We got to see so many behind the scenes stuff. You really don't understand how much work goes into the pavillion until you see it for yourself. After our "tour" we had to watch a short video about the tank and the creatures inside. Read some papers over the dos and don'ts. Then signed our name a few times and we were off to get into our wetsuits. The locker rooms were really nice and they had our stuff all set up and waiting for us. Our CM guided us through the "public" area so everyone gets to see you in your wetsuits. Then we went up the stairs to the top of the facility where the entry to the tank is. We met our dive master and another CM that was there to help. So, 3 CMs total. We put on our fins and got into the water. There is this little ledge you stand on when they take your picture. They actually took like 3 of us. Two with flash and one without. I think they only did that because we were the only people for the day.

The actual "dive" was awesome! Your wetsuit basically has a built in life jacket so you automatically float. You can't dive down. You have your tank on your bank and your regulator in your mouth. It took me a few attempts to get the hang of it. My husband on the other hand went in like a pro! haha. You get a half hour to yourself to do whatever you want. If you want a dive master to go around with you, i'm sure they will. We had a great time but it went by so fast!! I'm hoping we can get SCUBA certified so we can actually dive down next time.

Do it! It's worth it!

Laughin' place
04-06-2009, 12:56 PM
We went last June (DW, and our four sons, ages 15-12). The previous poster Stacey gives a great description. We had an awesome time, one of those really special and memorable experiences. The boys talk about it all the time, and one of them just admitted to me that he was afraid of the fish and environment before he tried it (LOL). I can highly recommend it, and hop you have a great time.:thumbsup:

Figment1988
04-06-2009, 12:57 PM
one thing to know about the Seas Aqua Tour, even though masks are issued, i would suggest bringing a personal dive mask (this is allowed, provided that the mask's lenses are made of glass). as for the experience: it's worth every penny. take it from me, i've been doing this for 6 years straight, and with my upcoming dive in july, it'll be my "lucky 7th aqua tour"

RedSoxFan
04-06-2009, 04:12 PM
DS17 (16 at the time) and DH did this last October. They had the best time and DS wants to do it again. He still talks about it 6 months later (he wants to be a marine biologist and is obsessed with fish).

queenstorm24
05-22-2009, 09:48 AM
My kids are interested in going (ages 11 &9). Do they both need an adult to accompany them on the tour, or can my husband accompany both of them?

Figment1988
05-22-2009, 04:55 PM
My kids are interested in going (ages 11 &9). Do they both need an adult to accompany them on the tour, or can my husband accompany both of them?

regarding this matter, it's recommended that they're accompanied with an adult. some things i forgot to mention, 1. when you're in the water, the staff will tell you to avoid a certain boundary of the aquarium (which essentially is to be some feet away from the Dolphin barrier) the second thing is that no matter how enticing the sea life is, they'll strongly discourage you from touching the fish and especially the turtles (even though they're in a protective habitat, they're still protected under Florida Law)

Strmchsr
05-22-2009, 05:47 PM
the second thing is that no matter how enticing the sea life is, they'll strongly discourage you from touching the fish and especially the turtles (even though they're in a protective habitat, they're still protected under Florida Law)

Actually, it's more than just discouraging you. A couple of weeks ago we had to sign a form saying we would NOT touch the turtles as it was against the Law in Florida to interfere with the turtles in any way. If you reach out to touch them they'll pull you out of the water immediately.

queenstorm24, just your DH will be fine. You don't need to adults for the kids. Just 1 will be okay.

Having done the tour now, I'll definitely agree that it's more than worth it. Especially since every penny of profit from the tour goes to the Disney Wildlife Conservation Fund. It was a blast and DS8 said it was a highlight of his life. Very cool experience for both of us. Next trip he'll be 10 and open water certified so we'll do DiveQuest and report on that. :mickey:

Keneva
05-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the reply's. But... What about the sharks? Are they separated from where we would be? My wife is very concerned about this and thinks my daughter and I will be shark bate.

poeticeclipse
05-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the reply's. But... What about the sharks? Are they separated from where we would be? My wife is very concerned about this and thinks my daughter and I will be shark bate.

They feed the sharks before you go in for your dive. Also, the sharks stay in the bottom of the tank basically. I never saw one come close to me. The tank is really deep and you are quite far away from them but yes, you are in the water with them.