PDA

View Full Version : How many to start with?

scrapbookmom5174
04-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Okay, I've taken the plunge and have bought two different lots off ebay so we can have tradeable pins for our FIRST TRIP EVER to WDW in August. I have lanyards for the kiddos. We will be at WDW for 7 days and I am wondering how many "tradeable" pins should have for our trip per child? DD(10) is super excited while DD(7) and DS(10) are starting to think this is a cool idea as well. I want to have enough on hand so they will have enough to trade each day we are at WDW.

Thanks!!!

gerald72
04-04-2009, 07:40 AM
I try to put 12 pins on each kids' lanyard. They fit nicely. They can always trade the same ones again

Splash_Lover
04-05-2009, 11:14 PM
your kids will have so much fun but don't forget to take some for yourself, it is fun and addictive. Also, you will see some great pins that you know will be collectable and the kids will go for the generic pins instead, another reason to have your own.

ask in the shops if they have pins to trade if you don't see the CM's wearing any as some are kept out of site but brought out when asked for.

JPL
04-06-2009, 04:09 PM
I usually try to head down with about 30 traders for myself and most of the time come back with a few left over but then again I am a picky trader :blush:

Magic Smiles
04-06-2009, 10:27 PM
There are so many pins available that I don't think you can have too many traders when first starting out. I think that you will have to put a limit on how many. :mickey:

FaithTrustPixieDust
04-07-2009, 09:44 AM
We just started this on our last trip. My hubby had a great strategy that I think is worth passing on:

Give them about half the pins on Day 1 to start their trading. Each day, give them one more pin. Sometimes we used it as a motivating reward for good behavior when they were starting to get tired and cranky . . .

It worked very well for us, and we'll probably use that strategy again next year.

tmosier
04-07-2009, 10:51 AM
For the pins that your kids really like, be sure to purchase the pin backs that lock! The locking-type pin backs aren't 100% secure, but they are much better than the regular backs that come with pins.

MickeyandTink
04-09-2009, 02:55 PM
We just started this on our last trip. My hubby had a great strategy that I think is worth passing on:

Give them about half the pins on Day 1 to start their trading. Each day, give them one more pin. Sometimes we used it as a motivating reward for good behavior when they were starting to get tired and cranky . . .

It worked very well for us, and we'll probably use that strategy again next year.

We have done the same thing the last couple of years. We have given them a lanyard and 3-4 pins the first day, then 1-2 more pins a day until they have a total of 10-12 pins. Of course, DD usually finds some way to get DW or I to give her another pin or two for trading since she's found a "wonderful" pin, but doesn't have any already on her lanyard she can bear to give up. :D

I would say plan on a minimum of at least 10-12 for each child and 6-10 for each adult that wants to do it. I will warn you, it can be VERY addictive (and a whole lot of FUN).

tys_mommy
04-09-2009, 03:05 PM
MY DS usually trades about 10 - 15 pins a day. Then lanyards get heavy so we only put about 8 on at a time. I keep ziplock baggies in my backpack, one with extra traders and one to put the pins that he wants to keep after trades in - he only wears those that he doesn't mind trading. Granted this is pretty easy for just one child, next trip when younger DS begins trading we may have to rethink the way we do this.

tink2006
04-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Keep a look out for CM with green lanyards. They can only trade with children (under12, I think). They sometimes have nice pins but more importantly, they take the time with the little ones.

Happy trading!

TheVBs
04-11-2009, 07:25 PM
My oldest DD has done this the last two trips. But this will be the first time I'm bringing some trader pins I bought pretty inexpensively. Last year she bought a few pins that were a little more pricey, then traded them! I learned my lesson. This year our youngest DD will be doing it too. I have to say, I'm actually tempted to try it myself! :D

dmosher
04-12-2009, 02:41 AM
I would say 5-10 total should be enough for th trip, when you start out anyway. But what do I know, I rarely actually trade them. I just like owning certain ones, so I just buy them. Though admit-tingly I do have a few on hand to trade, should I see one I REALLY like.
:pipes:
D