PDA

View Full Version : Rope Drop

GoofyMom09
04-03-2009, 12:12 PM
I have never been to a rope before at any park. I am thinking about going to one at MK when we are there in April since my kids wake up at dawn anyways:D How many people show up before the park opens? Do you really beat the crowd and get on rides with little wait time or do most people do this? Thanks!

joonyer
04-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Before the turnstiles are opened, it will seem like a pretty large crowd, as everybody is stacked up against the gates waiting for opening. But once the park is opened and all the guests are allowed to disperse, it will seem nearly empty for the first hour or so, especially on an EMH morning (8am).
WE have done this several times and you can literally do every ride/attraction in the park (if you don't dally around) well before noon.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
04-03-2009, 12:49 PM
I agree totally, but would like to add that when you go to Studios you make sure and fastpass Toy Story. As has been mentioned quite a few times, the lines get extremely long and fastpasses are gone for the day by 10 am.

Gregandmel
04-03-2009, 01:31 PM
I agree that it will "seem" really crazy before people are free to roam around the park. But it's true that once they are OFF - then it thins considerably. Just remember to HAVE A PLAN on what you want to do. Don't zig-zag across the park. I always tell my family that we are going to "walk with a purpose" the first several hours to the main big ticket rides, then we can back trek and stop & smell the roses (so to speak)

Zawadi
04-03-2009, 01:33 PM
The rope drop shows in both MK and AK are worth watching.

In MK the characters come in on the first train and perform to the area by the turnstiles. In AK they open the park in front of the Tree of Life lokking back over the vridge towards the Oasis.

MOJoe
04-03-2009, 02:13 PM
If you are at park opening, then yes, you do beat the crowds and ride with no wait. At MK it is best to head straight to Fantasy Land, and then hit the other headliners, getting a Fastpass for one while riding another.
And at AK you can ride Everest at least 3 times before the queue fill up.

How many people are there? They will be numbered in the hundreds, but not in the thousands.

Even though my family prefers to close down the parks, we will always open up a park at least twice on a WDW trip. Have fun!

epceddie
04-03-2009, 02:36 PM
My wife and I had 8:05 reservations at Crystal Palace one day on our last trip in January. After we finished eating, we headed over to Tomorrowland for Buzz Lightyear.
On our way, I stopped in the middle of Main Street U.S.A., which was just about empty, to get some photos.
As we were crossing the bridge to Tomorrowland, I looked back and saw a wave of people surging up Main Street. It was a flood of people and by the time we got to the rope drop, there was a big crowd of people behind us.
When the park opened, everyone headed to Space Mountain and we were able to ride Buzz Lightyear six times in a row with no waits.
Getting into the park early for our breakfast reservation proved to be one of the highlights of our trip.
For a couple of minutes standing in the middle of Maine Street U.S.A., we really felt like we had the whole park to ourselves.

dumbo ears
04-03-2009, 04:05 PM
ya you can definetely ride more parks when you get there at rope drop. Ive gone the the one at MK and I loved the stuff they do

rkwctw
04-03-2009, 06:45 PM
The rope drop is fun and the shows at MK and AK are worth seeing. We rode EE three times in a row without using a FP. We then went to KS and only had to wait 15 minutes. At MK you can walk on all the rides except for maybe Dumbo. We will be there during the time that SM is down, but normally the line there is short as well. All of this is done without the use of FP's.:mickey:

bouncer
04-03-2009, 07:14 PM
how much time do you allow before rope drop? I mean, if xtra magic hours are 8 am what time to you plan on arriving?

trudisneygal
04-03-2009, 09:12 PM
They are still doing the Opening Ceremony at MK even though the park is opening at 8am correct? I hope so, I always make this a must see when we're there!

WDW_Obsessed
04-04-2009, 09:37 AM
We always love the rope drops...as long as you're one of the first groups of people there. The opening ceremonies at MK and AK are really fun, and I think your kids will enjoy it. However, we always try to be one of the first people out at the bus stop because the lines behind the rope do get pretty long and it's harder to see what's going on up there. We always double check to see what time the busses start running to the park w/the rope drop (I think it's usually an hour before the park opens) and get out there bright and early. Have a fantastic vacation!!:thumbsup:

JPL
04-05-2009, 12:21 PM
At crowded times of the year you can often get more done in the first hour than you will in the next 4 hours after the crowds start to build:thumbsup:

Hull-onian
04-05-2009, 12:46 PM
I agree totally, but would like to add that when you go to Studios you make sure and fastpass Toy Story. As has been mentioned quite a few times, the lines get extremely long and fastpasses are gone for the day by 10 am.

Thanks for the fast pass tip. We will try and do Toy Story right away at Hollywood Studios. We have done everything in the Hollywood Studios Park, so now we something new to look forward to. Can't wait.:thumbsup:

MrPeetrie
04-05-2009, 11:21 PM
My daughter is 5. I've heard stories of CMs getting run over. I don't know how true they are. Are rope drops safe if you have a 5 year old?

brownie
04-06-2009, 07:37 AM
We've always gotten to the parks prior to opening. It does help on the first few rides on non-morning extra magic hours days.

poeticeclipse
04-06-2009, 11:50 AM
My daughter is 5. I've heard stories of CMs getting run over. I don't know how true they are. Are rope drops safe if you have a 5 year old?

Normally, the CMs walk you to your destination. You can't go past them but you can definitely keep up with them. With the case of say, AK... there are groups of CMs to walk you through each land and then "release" you at a certain point. THAT part can be nuts but if you're kick and move with the crowd, you'll be fine.

MrPeetrie
04-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Thank you.

KAJUNKING
04-06-2009, 03:03 PM
weve only made it to the rope drop once because we usually stay at the parks late, but it was so worth getting there early, and we will sure try to make a few early mornings this trip

castlelady36
04-06-2009, 04:22 PM
We have always done the rope drop at MK and are able to ride all of Fantasy Land, HM, SM, BTMR all before 12pm. It always amazes me how quiet it is and when we walk through Fantasy Land later in the day the waits are pushing an 40 mins to and hour for rides like Pooh and Peter Pan. Truly worth getting there early if you can do it.

kemps@wdw
04-06-2009, 11:44 PM
We are a faithful "rope drop" family. We are at ALL our preferred parks @ rope drop EVERY day. WE usually arrive an hour before so we can be @ the rope. Not only does it allow us to do all we want w/little or no wait, and get done by midday, we get our FP AND ride for double whammies! Not to mention, it's the ONLY way we were able to be selected "Family of the Day"...twice! :thumbsup: