PDA

View Full Version : Best plan of attack for MK with kids?

hope23
04-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Hello all-

We are going end of April with DS 5 and DS 3 and want our time to be fantastic regardless of crowds, so I'm wondering what you think is the best plan for enjoying Magic Kingdom with younger kids? We're interested in doing kid-favorite rides in a good order to enjoy as much as possible. What do you think? Where to go first? Where to avoid at certain times? Good order in which to go through the park? Whatever... Thanks!!:mickey:

brer frog
04-02-2009, 06:20 PM
My best advice is to pick a few rides to do, and then go do them and any in between. I pick a park to go to then decide on what rides based on what we want to do and how long the wait is. If you don't have a set schedule or a list of things to do, it will be a much more relaxing vacation, and you might stumble across stuff you like by mistake.

TwinniesNMeLoveWDW
04-02-2009, 06:23 PM
With kids that young, I would recommend getting to the MK early and then heading straight back to fantasyland. That's where most of the rides that appeal to younger kids are, and the lines there can be really bad later on. Little kids also like toontown fair, but I've found that area is better later in the afternoon or evening.

TwinniesNMeLoveWDW
04-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Oh, also, I strongly recommend taking a swim and nap break after lunch. My kids did so much better when we got an early start, did the rides they wanted before the lines got too long, then went back to the hotel to swim and sleep. After dinner we went back to the parks, and this worked out really well for them when they were little.

GoofyforFun
04-02-2009, 07:14 PM
A tip we saw on a site and that we used last time was head straight back to Dumbo (ride it twice). It really did work well, everyone seems to slowly go into park.. Then maybe Adventures of Pooh and over to the Teacups?? I believe we went on IASW and over Mickeys Philharmagic 3-D movie ( not sure if you kids will be scared of the 3-D??) Then over to Liberty Square and the loop around counter clockwise. Any way is god once you get in early.. :mickey:

irish1967
04-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Oh, also, I strongly recommend taking a swim and nap break after lunch. My kids did so much better when we got an early start, did the rides they wanted before the lines got too long, then went back to the hotel to swim and sleep. After dinner we went back to the parks, and this worked out really well for them when they were little.

We still do this with our 11 (almost 12) year old and 9 year old. The break in the middle of the day is key!

Also, try to keep as close to their normal schedule as possible - well rested children are happy children and happy children mean happy adults!

Don't talk up any specific ride, show, or situation. We once took my niece (3 at the time) and promised her she would meet Pochahontas. We couldn't find her. My DN's most vivid memory of the trip (she is now a junior is high school) is that she DIDN'T see Pochahontas!

Have a great trip!

beksy
04-02-2009, 09:16 PM
I've heard from different places that your best bet is to head straight for Dumbo. Then I'd probably head to Peter Pan since it tends to get busy and stay busy or Winnie the Pooh. I agree that the naps/swimming/down time is essential. When we were visiting as kids, we would get hot and tired and really looked forward to some pool time. Then we would go back after we ate and it was cooler and seemed like the crowds were more manageable (this could be my imagination but that's how it seemed!). Since my sister is 6 years younger, I could do more and last longer than her. Most days Mom and Dad would take turns taking me on rides she couldn't or didn't want to do while she was resting or having a snack. We found TTA, CoP, Country Bears, and the Presidents to be great places for her (and Dad) to take a quick nap. I think they once rode TTA about 10 times while we were waiting for Space Mountain (back in the days before fastpass!).

Momto3littlemice
04-03-2009, 06:49 AM
I would second the idea to make sure you are there BEFORE the park opens. (We will be there... end of April!!) I would say about 20 minutes before rope drop would probably be okay. At the MK they also have a fun opening show before rope drop so the kids should enjoy seeing Mickey come in on the train to open the park for them. Then hustle to Fantasyland and start with Dumbo. (we will be there too!) and then to Pooh or Peter Pan. (we don't do Peter Pan so I can't say for sure but it does get very crowded). Then another good idea is to go ahead and meet Ariel before the crowds really pick up. I can't stand to wait in line for characters for more than a couple minutes so we do this too. (although can't be sure exactly what time she will arrive) Finish up whatever else in Fantasyland you want to do before the rest of the crowd arrives. The kids will like this area best, so better to get it done early without too much waiting! Maybe we'll see you there! :mickey:

Insanity Clause
04-03-2009, 11:05 AM
I would definately recommend getting there as early as possible and if you are staying on property to take advantage of any early hours that are offered. MK always seems to be the most crowded of all the parks so I would try to go early and definately go back to the resort and have the kids and you take a nap or at least relax. The pool is always a great place to recharge.

wire0monkey
04-03-2009, 11:24 AM
We never start in Fantasyland, but we usually end the day there. We start in either Adventureland or Toontown and then work our way through the lands to the middle of the park (Fantasyland).

Here's what we do on our first day at MK:
We get to the park as early as we can and take the WDW railroad (the steam train) over to Frontierlandr. We ride these rides, more or less in this order:

1. Big Thunder Mountain railroad
2. Splash Mountain
3. Pirates
4. Jungle Cruise
5. Magic Carpets of Aladdin
6. Haunted Mansion
7. Small World
8. Peter Pan's Flight
9. Pooh

We work in shows and parades as we go. We hit Main Street on the way out.

We usually take a break then, and go to another park in the evening.

The second day at MK we take the steam train over to Toontown and do the rides/attractions in this order:

1. Barnstormer
2. Mickey's house/Minnie's house
3. Indy Speedway
4. Buzz
5. Buzz
6. Buzz
7. TTA
8. Monster's Inc.
9. Buzz

Then we add on any "re-dos" from the other schedule like Pirates, or Jungle Cruise, or Splash Mountain.

We're adding Space Mountain and Stitch's Great Escape this year because my kids will be almost 7 and 5, and they want to do those attractions.

Giggy
04-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Mickey's Toontown Fair is a great place to start, especially with little ones. It really gets you in the Disney mood as it is pure 100% Mickey and the gang.

We have always started there, it is a convenient place to get to as it has its own station. A great place to meet characters and also has Goofy's Barnstormer, a rollercoaster that little ones can do but parents can of course also go. It is also close to Tomorrowland which I have always found one of the most exciting parts of the park. They would probably be too little for Space Mountain but that may be closed anyway. The 5 year old would however most likely LOVE Buzz Lightyear's Spaceranger Spin and actually helping Buzz to defeat the Evil Emporer Zurg.

Fantasyland contains a lot of the rides that young kids would go for and is also located by Mickey's Toontown Fair. Alternatively it is an easy place to start at as well as it is simply a case of walking up Mainstreet to the Cinderella's Cast. From here you have big hits such as Mickey's PhilharMagic, Peter Pan's Flight, Dumbo and It's a Small World.

Good luck with however you choose to tackle it, there are plenty of ways to choose from. :mickey:

Friend of Figment
04-03-2009, 12:09 PM
You might look at the dumbo in a day or die plan in the Unofficial Guide. It is totally child focussed.

thejens
04-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Good advice here. I followed Unauthorized Guide and it was excellent! Definitely get to parks at opening and head to Fantasyland first. If you don't want to go to resort in middle of day (I hate to waste time on busses, travelling back and forth etc.) you can let the kids splash around at Donald Duck's boat. Bring a change of clothing. We do this at Epcot too. Then the kids get into dry clothing, we have dinner, and then are ready for more rides and fireworks and parades etc. If there is anyway you can persuade them to see characters at character meals instead of standing in endless lines this will allow for more fun and less waiting around. Have fun!!

illini
04-04-2009, 11:54 AM
You might look at the dumbo in a day or die plan in the Unofficial Guide. It is totally child focussed.

Yes, definitely.

Also, though I normally avoid morning EMH like the plague, in your case it would probably be a good idea. You could go to another park after your midday break instead of back to the MK.

WDW_Obsessed
04-04-2009, 01:29 PM
We don't have kids yet (in another 4 weeks we will!!!:clappy::yay::baby:) but when we have taken our nieces (5 and 3) we went straight back to Dumbo and did all we could in Fantasyland during the EMH. That worked great for us, and we got to see everything the girls wanted to see by the time the masses arrived. I also agree STRONGLY about taking a swim and a nap...the one day we skipped it and stayed in the parks ended with tears and fits and exhaustion. Not to mention a missed ADR!

Also, when we were there with the kids (2006) they had one day where there were evening EMH, but also had Fantasyland only open for a morning EMH. Does anyone know if they still do that. That was pretty cool for us...:mickey:

PetefromRI
04-04-2009, 01:37 PM
I'd say if you get there by opening,go back to the pool around 11 or 12 and relax.I also recommend that with small children,it's gonna be about them,not what you want to see.Don't try a commando style with little ones or you'll all be yelling at each other by midday wondering what you were thinking when you planned this trip.The afternoon break is a Godsend!