PDA

View Full Version : Yachtsman Steakhouse-opinions

TysMomTink
04-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Hi, I'm already thinking ahead for our Sept. ADRs and had a quick question. Would you spend 2 credits at the Yachtsman or would you go to Le Cellier for 1 credit? My husband and I are big steakhouse fans and would be willing to use 2 credits-plus for an awesome meal and overall experience. So considering food, ambiance, and the fact that we'll have our 2 year old with us, do you think we should try it or go with Le Cellier? We've never been to either (last year waited way too late to make ADRS== won't make that mistake again!!!)

Fangorn
04-01-2009, 07:29 PM
I may be in the minority here, but if you're looking at the overall experience, I'd recommend going to the Yachtsman instead of Le Cellier.

Le Cellier is nice, and the food is fine, but I frankly don't understand what all the hype is about with the place. It's also a lot easier to get an ADR for The Yachtsman than for Le Cellier.

The Yachtsman is a lovely place for a meal. The decor is understated, and in my experience the service has always been impeccable. The last time we were there (Sept. 08) we had our 1 year old granddaughter with us. The staff stopped by the table frequently to smile at the baby (she is, of course, a most lovely and engaging child). We, or rather she, was treated like royalty.

The food is excellent. Probably not actually the best steak at Disney (that honor arguably belongs to Shula's at the Dolphin) but it's in the neighborhood.

I think it's definitely worth going to The Yachtsman, particularly if you're getting the DDP for free in September. You won't regret it. You also most likely won't be very hungry the next day so you'll not miss the TS credit either.

If possible, check to see if Oscar is serving that evening and ask to sit in his section. He is an incredible waiter and you'll feel like you've been with an old friend all evening by the time you leave.

Enjoy!

Steve

ibrowse17
04-01-2009, 07:53 PM
YM is one of our favs, and a must have on each trip. The atmosphere and food are great, and we always enjoy the walk from Epcot to the YC/BC. I suggest you try the YM at least once, I know it will be worth it:thumbsup:

spoiledraf
04-01-2009, 09:29 PM
We have ADRs for two nights during our visit. Guess thats a positive opinion.

DebK
04-02-2009, 02:08 AM
The Yachtsman is one of our must-dos each trip.....:thumbsup:

TysMomTink
04-02-2009, 08:46 AM
You've convinced me!! Thanks!

DisneyHoneymooners
04-02-2009, 09:46 AM
We were unsure of the Yachtsman Steakhouse but tried it last year for the first time. Now its a can't miss for me and my DW who's not the biggest red meat fan to begin with. We loved it.

javamama
04-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Our Planner at the Poly said don't miss YM, so I booked it too this year:mickey:

Checkers
04-03-2009, 09:50 AM
:mickey:Another vote for YM! We will be going in Sept. and staying at the BWI and YM is a priority for us.

BigWes6
04-04-2009, 10:31 AM
We are also BIG YM fans ! The oak fired ribeye is to die for ! I also agree with another posters remarks about Oscar , he took care of us and made us feel like a million bucks !!!

LudwigVonDrake
04-04-2009, 03:15 PM
I have a friend who swears by the Yachtsman :eat:

TeddysMom
04-04-2009, 07:59 PM
I know we are in the minority by a mile but, we hated Yachtsmen! I read Intercot and have for years but don't post - but I really had to add my two cents here.

We are big signature dining fans and have always done meals using the DDP. Last December we gave up Citricos to try YM as it had been highly recommended. My steak (rib eye) was so fatty there was little meat on it. My son's fillet was overcooked (he orders rare), my husband's meal was okay. It took forever to get the waitress' attention for rolls (she didn't bring them until after our appetzers) she was unattentive when I wanted another drink, we couldn't get her attention for dessert and when she finally did come over and ask us about dessert we were so done we just wanted to pay and get out of there. We then waited 15 minutes and finally just asked the hostess to get us our check.

I think we could have overlooked (or even sent back the bad food if we could have gottn her attention) if the waitress had been more attentive. She was VERY attentive to the party of 8 she was falling all over to serve bottles of wine and drink after drink but my family got the worst service and food we have ever had almost anywhere but certainly worst in Disney - maybe it's because my husband and son ordered tea and soda instead of alcohol!

This is the ONLY place I would not only not recommend - I would warn against - and that's sad because every other place in Disney is exceptional. We have visited almost twice a year for the last four years and our favorites (in alphabetic order because I would have a difficult time ordering by preference) are:

Artist Point
Boma
California Grill
Citricos
Jiko
Narcossee
Teppan Edu
Yak & Yeti

We will be back at Wilderness Lodge June 5 - 12 and will be trying out the new AKL Sanaa! This will be our first dining plan visit so it should be interesting!

TeddysMom
04-05-2009, 09:58 AM
We are big signature dining fans and have always done meals using the DDP.

I meant we have always used the DDE (I am a Passholder). This trip in June will be our first time using the DDP.