PDA

View Full Version : 500th POST: Biggest Grin Question

MOJoe
04-01-2009, 10:30 AM
For my 500th post, i would like to ask everyone to answer the question, "What has given you the biggest grin at WDW?" Not just a good smile - but an ear to ear, face hurting grin that stayed with you a while.

There have been several times this has happened to me, but the one time that my face actually hurt was watching the Hyperspace Hoopla at SWW in 2007.
We had just arrived at WDW, and went straight to the Studios. At the SW stage the John Williams music was playing, some characters from the movies began to mingle and dance with the crowd, (R2D2 was right next to us!) and on the platform there was a "dance off" between Luke, Vader and Chewey. It's hard to explain, but i felt like i had just walked into the best party - ever. And i was so caught up by all this, that i nearly wept with joy. That is when i noticed that my face was hurting from the huge grin!

So tell me some of your happy stories of giant grins. I can't wait to read 'em. :D

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Mine are both super-sappy!

The easy one for me, is when I got engaged at MK after Wishes! My now DH got down on one knee and proposed :)

The other super-smile was on our last trip, when we took my Mom for her first trip to Disney. We walked into MK and she paused for a minute, taking it all in, and then she started to tear up and said "it is just as beautiful as I expected". Well, we all started to tear up too, but the smile was bigger...she was so happy to be there, and we were so happy to be a part of it.

4ubie1
04-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Well I have had many of those "big grin" :D moments but one that stood out for me was when:

My family and I were taking a break from :walk: around the World Showcase and we noticed this band playing in the amphitheater across from USA. So we stopped and sat to catch our breath. We ended up staying for half an hour just watching these guys rock out and having a ball doing it. They would interact with the crowd and tease each other. You could tell they were having fun. The band is called Off-Kilter and their lead plays the bagpipes :pipes: and they all dress in kilts. I think they still play ever so often in WS. If they still do, I recommend trying to take a pic of them. If they see you, they totally pose for you..even going so far as to show alil leg.:thumbsup:

Luv Eeyore
04-01-2009, 11:31 AM
I don't know if this quite fits the question, but several years ago, DH and I went to WDW without the kids. We were eating at 1900 Park Fare and were casuallly watching the characters interact with the kids at other tables.

At the table next to ours was a special needs child, and it appeared the parents weren't quite sure how their son would react to the characters. The first one at their table was Mickey. The boy squealed with delight. Since he couldn't really reach up, Mickey got down on his knees so the boy could touch his face. I have never seen a character spend as much time with a child as Mickey did with this boy who was so happy. There was not a dry eye in the entire area. I think everyone stopped what they were doing to watch this encounter - it was the strongest Disney magic I've ever felt. Yes, our eyes were wet, but we were all smiling hugely, too. This memory still brings a huge smile to my face (and tears, too, but good ones).

DakandZakMom
04-01-2009, 02:18 PM
My biggest grin happened the first year we went to WDW. My sons and I had just moved across the country to get away from thier abusive father. :(While we were moving I promised my son that I would take him to WDW to give him something positive to think about.

When we finally got settled and got to go on our trip my son was very excited. When we first went under the arches my son turned to me with tears in his eyes and said to me "Mom you never break your promises. You are the best.". Needless to say there was a big smile and a lot of tears. We have been back every year since.

GoofyMom09
04-01-2009, 02:51 PM
My ear to ear grin moment would be when my husband and I got married at WL! :cloud9: Mickey came to the reception as a surprise for everyone (but me). It was fun to see everybody's expressions.

dumbo ears
04-01-2009, 03:00 PM
this is kinda hard for me but I haven't got a crazy happy grin like some of you have but I always smile when I see the signs that you go under when you get on property.

dreamscometrue
04-01-2009, 03:19 PM
I have a couple..The most recent was when I took my 80 yr old mom, her first WDW trip, back in 2006and she met Donald Duck, her favorite. He was so wonderful with her and spent extra time with her. I could not stop saying thank you with tears in my eyes. The other was at the Poly YEARS ago when my now 19 yr old daughter was celebrating her 6th BD at the character breakfast. Back then it was Minnie's breakfast and my daughter got to lead the parade with Minnie. Chip, Dale and Goofy made a big deal of her and then the waitress sang Happy Birthday to my daughter.
Big grins all around!

gueli
04-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Similar story to the special needs child- but watching Cinderella in her huge evening gown gracefully get down and sit with a wonderful toddler. Made me think of how Walt Disney would feel- and watching this child, with a squeel and glee- interact with Cinderella...Just made me happy.
PS Nice 500th post. (now on to the 1000....)
:mickey:

*Liz*
04-02-2009, 12:13 AM
When my fiance proposed to me inside the Mexico pavilion! Couldn't be happier! Next biggest grin will be in 2011 when we get married there! :cloud9:

RSGBSG2002
04-02-2009, 12:22 AM
When my fiance proposed to me inside the Mexico pavilion! Couldn't be happier! Next biggest grin will be in 2011 when we get married there! :cloud9:

Yes, I did. Yes, we will.:cloud9:

MOJoe
04-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Thank you to all who replied.

I didn't really expect the tearjerkers.
Guess i should have.
Happy trips all. With lots of grins. :D

Joe

Iteachpc
04-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Well this isn't a tear-jerker, but it sure made me smile, no actually laugh hysterically! I was at DHS with DD14, DS8 and my niece15. DS, niece and I got on ToT. Both kids were very excited. Well, we start going up and then the first big drop comes. My niece starts screaming like nobody's business. She is sliding down out of chair she is screaming so loud. The ride goes up and down and she continues to scream at the top of her lungs. DS has a stunned look on his face and I am laughing and laughing and laughing. It was the funniest thing! I'm sure my DD who did not ride could hear her screaming on the street below. It still makes me smile to think about it. Wonder if I'll be able to talk them into another ride on our next trip?

Cinderelley
04-08-2009, 05:20 AM
Every time I get on BTMRR! My oldest DS still talks about it.

teambricker04
04-08-2009, 10:26 AM
I always get weepy when something makes me smile when I am at WDW :mickey:

Last May we stayed at the BC. We played in the pool everyday. One day we played and I had DS#2 (Who was 11mo at the time) sitting on my lap in the shallow water when DH looked over and said, "Uh, he's asleep." He was so happy and content playing and didn't want to miss anything that he fell asleep right there in the pool. We took him to the chairs and laid him out, covered with a towel. DS#1 laid in the chair next to his brother and promptly fell asleep as well. DH went and got us drinks while I snapped some pictures. Nothing sweeter in my memory than those little boys, all relaxed and sleepy, decked out in disney swim wear and covered with disney towels. They were in their happy places and so were DH and I!!!

Jeniflower
04-08-2009, 11:22 AM
My best and biggest grin was on the last day of last years holiday. we had spent the morning at MK and where just leaving. I was full of the cold and feeling miserable. But i stopped to get a last minute purchase in Main Street's emporium. i was queing when I heard a little voice behind me. "Mommy look its the little mermaid". I floated out of the park after that :tink:

kemps@wdw
04-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Mine is more than just an ear-2-ear grin, it's an all-out gut bustin laugh. :silly::haha::funny::rotfl: Picture this (for those of you familiar w/the Hoop-Dee-Doo), my slightly inebriated, happy-2-B-here, DH as Davey Crocket's "angel"!

wdwfansince75
04-09-2009, 09:02 AM
My many grins come from trips with DW, our 4 DK's, and 7 DGK's. I started to do a 64 grin bracket to pick the very best.....Included would be every character meal we ever had.....especially the one when the previously very shy DGD#3 (then 3) came out of her shell....forever! We were at 1900 PF, and she absolutely embraced Pooh....and when Pooh started to leave the table, she shouted....."You get back here, right now!".....
Also one of my number one's would be the time DW and I were doing DHS by ourselves (we thought), and decided to enjoy Muppets 3D.....as we were watching the show, we heard a laugh that could only be DGS#2 (then 6).....and it was!

All the memories spawn grins....some more so in reflection....One that was a pleased grin then that earns a jaw hurting grin now was the time DGS#3 and DGD#2 joined me on ToT....leaving their older brothers on the ground.....DGD#2 observed...."This rocks....I'm doing something Johnny is afraid to do!".....DGS#1 wouldn't ride ToT at age 14, but just 4 years later, he wears both jump wings and a tan beret, and is an Army Ranger!