PDA

View Full Version : dramamine for those scary/twisty rides???

tinkerddeedee
04-01-2009, 06:56 AM
Would it be a good idea to take motion sickness meds to go on the motion sickness rides:blush:
Has anyone done it?
Does it make you sleepy?
Does it really work?
:ack:

merlinmagic4
04-01-2009, 07:19 AM
I've never thought of that. I usually don't take any meds at all (except Tylenol every once in a blue moon) but I do avoid a lot of the rides. It's no fun to be sick all day! I'll be interested in reading any replies. Does dramamine have any side effects?

Cinderella's Lady in Waiting
04-01-2009, 07:24 AM
Some of us :blush: take Bonine (I think that's the spelling) . It's non-drowsy. Dramamine knocks us out:sleepin:

Stu29573
04-01-2009, 07:35 AM
Dramamine will drop me like a rock. I've heard ginger really helps, but I've never tried it...

drummerboy
04-01-2009, 07:41 AM
I go the Bonine route if I know I'll be on spinny rides, but sometimes even that doesn't help so I still stay off of things like the teacups. Some people say that even Bonine makes them too drowsy, but I don't get too bad an effect.

Michigander
04-01-2009, 08:28 AM
We have used the dramamine and we buy the non drowsey form. We find it works great! Give it a try see if it works for you and then at least you'll get to enjoy those rides once if it don't work for you you'll never ride them again even with dramamine or any other form of motion sickness medication! Good Luck!

barnaby
04-01-2009, 09:03 AM
I take Dramamine for seasickness. I start with a small dose (1/2 tablet) and if I start feeling sick I take more up to the recommened dose of 2 tablets. That works well for me because Dramamine knocks me out at a full dose, so less is better as along as it works.

However, taking small doses is tough when your'e doing rides because they are short.

Venus0880
04-01-2009, 09:07 AM
It also knocks me out, even the non-drowsy formula. If you do take it, maybe do it in the late evening. So if it does make you sleepy, you can just leave and go to bed rather than waste an entire day sleeping in the hotel. Good luck to ya!

DawsonAR
04-01-2009, 09:35 AM
We use Ginger. It works very well and doesn't make you sleepy.

cheeky monkey
04-01-2009, 09:38 AM
In the past we have given my DS a half childs dose of draminine when we travel up twisty roads in the mountains. It seems to get the job done but he is not wiped out when we get there. I bought children's bonine this time to have on hand.
I have found ginger pills to be very effective myself for motion sickness and they cut the edge off morning sickness. Too bad DS can't swallow a pill...

KatrinaJ91
04-01-2009, 10:41 AM
where do you get ginger pills? :blush:

MushuGrl
04-01-2009, 10:53 AM
I used the non-drowsy Dramamine as well. I have no trouble on rides and don't feel the least bit drowsy.

tinkerddeedee
04-01-2009, 11:10 AM
SWEET! This makes me SO happy!!!!:cloud9:
I've never heard of bonine, where can I get it?

luvsdisney24
04-01-2009, 11:15 AM
I think it would be a great idea, in fact, I have done it!! I suggest taking the non-drowsy formula. I would take it at breakfast time and be good to go for the parks. I would always take one before a day in Hollywood studios and sometimes before a day in Animal Kingdom.

DisneyFr33k
04-01-2009, 11:35 AM
It also knocks me out, even the non-drowsy formula.

:ditto: I can tend to get very motion sick.

There aren't that many rides at Disney really cause that much spin and twirl that can make one sick. Mission Space -ride green, not red and the primevil whirl at AK had me green coming off, but I felt better after walking around some.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

rubato
04-01-2009, 12:54 PM
I am so excited to read this. It never occurred to me to take motion sickness medicine for my problem with the spinning rides. My son's goal the last 2 years has been to make Mom vomit! (At least that's how it seems to me!:;)) Maybe I can actually ride the teacups if I take something.

GrumpyFan
04-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Bonine should be available in most drug stores and pharmacies. You might also look for Ginger gum. It's what the Blue Angels give the ride along guys when they're doing air demos. I know it's available at Amazon, haven't looked at my local stores though.

joonyer
04-01-2009, 02:28 PM
I take Bonine when I am going to ride Mission Space (orange) with my boys, who love it. The Bonine really helps and has no drowsy side effect. I won't get on the Teacups, even with drugs! :dizzy:

Meteora
04-01-2009, 04:08 PM

Any health food store should have it. They come in a bottle, like vitamins. They work really well. So does bonine, but ginger is more natural and therefore less of a "medication." It's just about personal preference.

cheeky monkey
04-01-2009, 05:18 PM

I can't remember if we got them at Whole Foods or GNC-but one of the two.

cheeky monkey
04-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Bonine should be available in most drug stores and pharmacies. You might also look for Ginger gum. It's what the Blue Angels give the ride along guys when they're doing air demos. I know it's available at Amazon, haven't looked at my local stores though.

Ginger gum? What a great idea-I'll keep my eye out for that. That would be the perfect soultion for my non-pill swallowing DS :thumbsup:

trennedy
04-02-2009, 09:24 AM
I also tend to get very motion sick and when we went in October I tried something different.

I used a wrist band that puts pressure on "pressure points" on my wrist and tried it for tower of terror, expedition everest and rock n roller coaster, and a few other rides which were rides that normally I would love to go on, but would make me :ack:. I felt fine and we went on the rides over and over again.

I got the band during a hip surgery. The hospital said they were trying them instead of medication for patients who had difficulties with anesthesia. So I said I would try it. Not only did it help with surgery, I also will keep it in my Disney bag now!!! No pills for me!

PrincessJadesMom
04-02-2009, 04:11 PM
I get patches from my doctor that go behind my ear. They're called Transderm Scope patches and they work great! Each patch lasts for 3 days. :mickey:

javamama
04-02-2009, 09:14 PM
I have vertigo, I control it w/physical therapy exercises---so it's under control 99.9% of the time(thanks to a middle ear infection as an adult:ill: ) So I was nervous last year about riding Mission Space and RNR, anything upside down makes me nervous that it will act up again. So I can take anivert(sp) it's a perscription medicine for the vertigo---I honestly had no issues what so ever. My meds are the same thing as the OTC dramamine mine puts me to sleep for a long time--don't take the regular strength one you won't be able to function very good in the long run.

WDW_Obsessed
04-03-2009, 03:21 AM
I used a wrist band that puts pressure on "pressure points" on my wrist and tried it for tower of terror, expedition everest and rock n roller coaster, and a few other rides which were rides that normally I would love to go on, but would make me :ack:. I felt fine and we went on the rides over and over again.

I have also used these bands for morning sickness, and they worked well for me too. The brand I used was called Sea Bands, and I used them with the ginger tablets, so I'm not sure if one was better than the other, but I do know it took care of most of my nausea and vomiting. I definitley think it's worth a try as the Dramamine, even the non-drowsy formula, puts me to sleep for hours.

playdead88
04-03-2009, 06:05 AM
ask your doc for transderm scopolamine patches - they go behind your ear every 3 days and dont make ya sleepy - we write rxs for them all the time for people going on cruises and surgeons use them after a patient has ear surgery - they're great and not $$

Daddy Mouse
04-03-2009, 12:36 PM
DW is considering this for rides like MS and Star Tours which make her queasy. I'm not to thrilled about her taking it though. I take some before flying

tinkerddeedee
04-04-2009, 07:42 AM
where can we get the wrist bands? this sounds cool! Spoke to my pharmasist and he said that dram. and bonine will make me drowsy so I def. don't want to take that!
I would LOVE to try the star tours and ms and soaring, but I KNOW it will make me sick!!!! So my mission is to find SOMETHING!:medic:

trennedy
04-04-2009, 10:08 AM
where can we get the wrist bands? this sounds cool! Spoke to my pharmasist and he said that dram. and bonine will make me drowsy so I def. don't want to take that!
I would LOVE to try the star tours and ms and soaring, but I KNOW it will make me sick!!!! So my mission is to find SOMETHING!:medic:

Go to Amazon.com and search "bio band" that is close to what I got from the hospital. Read what people said about them and see what you think. Then see if any pharmacy near you carries them or maybe a Shopko/Target/Walmart. Good luck, because they worked really well for me!! Have a great time!

PrincessJadesMom
04-04-2009, 11:09 AM
I get motion sickness too. I tried the Star Tours and that made me sick, but Soarin' was fabulous and didn't make me sick at all. I won't even try Mission Space.:ack: