PDA

View Full Version : Expedition Everest

Insanity Clause
03-31-2009, 04:26 PM
Does anyone happen to know the height requirement on Expedition Everest? I ask because I am wondering if my 7 year old son will be tall enough to ride this one. I am not even sure if he will want to. My kids have never experience thrill rides before but he said that he wanted to try it so I am just trying to make sure he even can.

Belster
03-31-2009, 04:29 PM
44 inches.

Enjoy!

DANAM
03-31-2009, 04:40 PM
My daughter was 4 when she went on it and loved the ride but was sooo scared of the yeti she will not go on it. I would at least tell him that the yeti jumps out before he goes, so he knows and is prepaired for it. My DH said he was a little shocked by the Yeti as well.

WDWfanatic742
03-31-2009, 04:58 PM
My daughter was 4 when she went on it and loved the ride but was sooo scared of the yeti she will not go on it. I would at least tell him that the yeti jumps out before he goes, so he knows and is prepaired for it. My DH said he was a little shocked by the Yeti as well.

You must have rode it when it was still fairly new. The yeti hasn't jumped at the coaster for at least a year or two. Last few times that I have ridden it, it has been put into "B" mode, which just has strobe lights projected on the yeti instead of the yeti actually moving towards you.

KylesMom
03-31-2009, 05:11 PM
The yeti hasn't jumped at the coaster for at least a year or two. It was working last July when we visited . . .

I believe DS was 8 when they first opened Everest . . . and he absolutely loved it!

Now, he didn't try Tower of Terror until 10 . . . :mickey: Go Figure!

LuvsTigger80
03-31-2009, 05:32 PM
You must have rode it when it was still fairly new. The yeti hasn't jumped at the coaster for at least a year or two.

When we rode it January of this year...the yeti "jumped" out at us....

WDWfanatic742
03-31-2009, 06:37 PM
Maybe I'm just unlucky then :funny:

JPL
03-31-2009, 06:52 PM
The Yeti has not worked properly for over a year now. The arm that reaches out towards the train is actually no longer fully attached to his body and he has almost ripped himself from his foundations. They can only run him in the B show mode which consists of a static pose, a fan and strobe lights to give the illusion of movement. The worst part about it is they have no idea how to fix him and the company that built the figure is no longer in business. In order to replace the figure the attraction will have to be shut down for months. I wouldn't expect it fixed any time soon.

DizneyFreak2002
03-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Maybe I'm just unlucky then :funny:

You are lucky... The yeti hasn't been in A mode for over a year... I was there in October and got the strobe lights... Like JPL said, it would take months to fix.. Nevermind the company being out of business, Orlando's management won't shut the ride down while the numbers are still high... Heck, none of the other effects work either..

WDWfanatic742
03-31-2009, 08:32 PM
I knew I wasn't going crazy :D. I'm just glad that I got to see it in A mode the first time that I rode it, because it does make a pretty big difference to the ending then just the strobe lights.

Insanity Clause
03-31-2009, 09:43 PM
Well at least I know my DS will be tall enough. It is so funny...he is looking so forward to doing all the thrill rides but my 10 yr DD says she absolutely will not do them.

cgriff
03-31-2009, 10:37 PM
Hi Insanity Clause. Glad your son will be tall enough to ride Everest during your trip. It's a thrill (especially that last drop out of the mountain--whooosh!)... I am sorry about the throng of posters here who are trying to bring down your 7-year-old son's experience before he's even had a chance to ride it. Trust me, the coaster is still as wild and as fast regardless the "mode" of the Yeti, SO ENJOY!

:coaster:

To: WDWfanatic742, JPL, DizFrk2002... It's always somebody's first time!

Meteora
03-31-2009, 11:14 PM
A brief thought--this is obviously entirely up to you, and you know your son best, but if you have any doubts about how he might handle thrill rides, you might want to try him on Thunder Mountain first, which for my money is the tamest coaster. I'm not a huge coaster person, and I did okay on Everest, but I was definitely shaking a bit when I got off. If he loves it, then full speed ahead for Everest. But if not, you'll know Everest is probably not the ride for him.

As for your DD...I wouldn't do the rides either when I was her age!

DANAM
04-01-2009, 09:53 AM
You must have rode it when it was still fairly new. The yeti hasn't jumped at the coaster for at least a year or two. Last few times that I have ridden it, it has been put into "B" mode, which just has strobe lights projected on the yeti instead of the yeti actually moving towards you.

Yes, it was when it was brand new. Is there anyone we can ask before we board what mode it's in.

MNNHFLTX
04-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Hi Insanity Clause. Glad your son will be tall enough to ride Everest during your trip. It's a thrill (especially that last drop out of the mountain--whooosh!)... I am sorry about the throng of posters here who are trying to bring down your 7-year-old son's experience before he's even had a chance to ride it. Trust me, the coaster is still as wild and as fast regardless the "mode" of the Yeti, SO ENJOY!Previous posters were not trying to bring down anyone's experience, just clarifying whether the yeti animated arm was working or not. Information is what we're all about here on INTERCOT. :mickey:

I agree that the ride is exciting, no matter what. To the original poster--I am glad that your son is looking forward to riding it. I'm sure he'll have a blast!

cgriff
04-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Previous posters were not trying to bring down anyone's experience, just clarifying whether the yeti animated arm was working or not. Information is what we're all about here on INTERCOT. :mickey:

The original poster only wanted to know the height requirement of the ride.
[By the way, Belster deserves some sort of commendation for answering the question just 3 seconds after the original poster asked it! YOU GO, BELSTER!]
:number1:

luvsdisney24
04-01-2009, 11:24 AM
I just wanted to say that I think having the Yeti in mode B with the strobe lights will be less intense incase you were worried about that being an issue for your 7 year old. I think the Yeti is still really cool and I like the post that suggested filling your 7 year old in on the fact that the Yeti will make an appearance and looks very much alive (even though the arm does not move...)

rubato
04-01-2009, 01:01 PM
If your son isn't sure about the ride, you might try watching the utube videos before you go. My son watched them for all the rides he wasn't sure about. He decided against this ride, because he was afraid of the Yeti. But, he finally rode all the other thrill rides and loved them. He was 8 at the time.

joonyer
04-01-2009, 01:39 PM
If he has never been on a thrill ride of any kind (especially a coaster), he will either love EE, and say "let's do it again!" or he will be terrified and won't get on another coaster for years, if ever.

For a seven year old, I'd think about starting him out on Goofy's Barnstormer in Toontown Fair at MK, and if he likes that, then try Big Thunder Mountain RR in Frontierland. If he likes that one, he should be OK with EE.

And if he loves EE, then someday he'll like riding the Hulk, or Dueling Dragons, or other really intense coasters at other parks.

GoofyMom09
04-01-2009, 02:59 PM
EE is an excellent ride, and is my favorite! It can be intense though. I agree that you might want your son to ride Thunder Mtn and Goofy's Barnstormer first just to see how he does. You might also want to warn him about the part of EE where it looks like the track has ended and you are going to fall off the mountain. It feels very real on the ride and could scare him if he doesn't know about it ahead of time. He might also want to know that it goes backwards and it gets dark.

WDWfanatic742
04-01-2009, 09:46 PM
The original poster only wanted to know the height requirement of the ride.

Right, but I was clarifying DANAM's post above my first post about the Yeti. I wouldn't want to go on the ride, expecting something that was mentioned before my original post, and then have it not to happen.

wire0monkey
04-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Does anyone happen to know the height requirement on Expedition Everest? I ask because I am wondering if my 7 year old son will be tall enough to ride this one. I am not even sure if he will want to. My kids have never experience thrill rides before but he said that he wanted to try it so I am just trying to make sure he even can.

There are a ton of videos of rides on YouTube. I made a list of the potentially scary rides and watched videos of each of those rides with my boys. That way they know what to expect, and can make decisions about it ahead of time.

They have given a big thumbs up for pretty much all of the rides, except for "Dinosaur."

MickeyandTink
04-02-2009, 11:27 AM
A brief thought--this is obviously entirely up to you, and you know your son best, but if you have any doubts about how he might handle thrill rides, you might want to try him on Thunder Mountain first, which for my money is the tamest coaster. I'm not a huge coaster person, and I did okay on Everest, but I was definitely shaking a bit when I got off. If he loves it, then full speed ahead for Everest. But if not, you'll know Everest is probably not the ride for him.

As for your DD...I wouldn't do the rides either when I was her age!

I would have to disagree about BTM. DD took her first trip to WDW when she was 6, almost 7. She loved Space Mountain, Expedition Everest and RockNRoller Coaster, but hated BTM because it was so rough. She got knocked into the sides of the car several times.

She's ok riding it now a few years later, but it's probably her least favorite coaster.