PDA

View Full Version : WDW & SeaWorld

GrumpyFan
03-31-2009, 04:16 PM
A short while back, there were a couple of news items posted about Disney inquiring into buying SeaWorld. I think it was pointed out that they're probably not really interested in buying them, but that they just inquired so they could get a look at their financials. Anyway, it started me to thinking about what if they really were interested, and if they did buy SeaWorld how would they fit them in? So, this thread is just my own crazy thoughts about how I think they would possibly fit the Busch parks, and more specifically, SeaWorld into WDW.

First, I want to start off by saying, I don't really see them buying the Busch parks. Disney has never bought other parks, and the Busch parks have their own feel, that's very different that Disney. Plus, Disney has made a huge capital investment in DCA and thus all their money will be tied up in that for several years.

But, at the very least, If Disney went out on a limb and somehow managed to buy the 3 US SeaWorld parks, I think it would be a potential plus for them. With the exception of Orlando, the other 2 parks have much to offer, and while it would take quite a bit to "Disney-fy" them, I think it would work to their advantage, and maybe even fit in with their Nature initiative. As for Orlando, I could see them keeping it as is for a few years, but then maybe trying to move or rebuild it in some form on Disney property, maybe adding to AK and/or Epcot Seas. Or, they could even build a US version of the Tokyo Disney Sea park and combine elements (and animals) from SeaWorld. Once they had moved or rebuilt the attractions from the SeaWorld Orlando park, they could sell or lease the land which would turn a decent profit in itself.

I know, I know, It's a stretch and quite a crazy idea, but then we are talking about a company that's done some things that were considered crazy at the time in their past. I really don't see this happening today though, the company is adverse to taking big risks, and this would be a big, and expensive risk.

So, what do YOU think? IF, you were in charge of Disney, would you buy the Busch parks? And, if so, how would you incorporate them into the rest of the company?