PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with Tech Support

beksy
03-31-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm not sure what happened but somehow my bullets in Word 2007 got out of alignment. All I need is someone to tell me how to get them back to the default but you would think I'm asking for the answer to global warming! :mad: Every help program I go through leads me to a live representative that either direct me to someone else or, my personal favorite, told me it couldn't be done in 15 minutes but for $200 they would handle my problem. I'm ready to bang my head against the wall or maybe go back to college and major in something to do with computers. :(

thrillme
03-31-2009, 02:01 PM
My most preferred answer is "have you rebooted".

Alas...rebooting is probably not your problem and I doubt Global Warming is either. It's most likely the magnetic spikes from the sun spots.

It's hard to diagnose exactly what your problem is but...You can try HIGHLIGHTING the lines of bulleted items and then look at your "ruler" bar there should be a little triangle that you can move to get them all in alignment.

Another really easy trick is on the HOME tab there is a Format Painter (little paintbrush). Highlight the one line that you "like" and then double click the brush. Highlight and click each offending line. Click the brush at the end to turn off the feature.

Also under the HOME tab in the Paragraph section you'll see a PARAGRAPH marker symbol. The world hates to see these markers in a document I love them because when the feature is turned on you'll see if you have too many tabs, spaces or a change in fomatting. (Word Perfect used to be really sweet with this).

I WAY understand your frustration with tech support on that. SIGH...I had quite a time once when one of our old servers (Novell) got locked up with an old password. They wanted to charge out the wazoo to fix it or even just "discuss" it. I solved my problem by telling all the users to get their data off of it and I shut it down PERMANETLY.

bicker
03-31-2009, 02:56 PM
None of the office application providers provide free tech support for settings like that. :(

VWL Mom
03-31-2009, 06:15 PM
I'm working off Office for Mac so I'm not sure if this is the same for you. On the toolbar select Format; then go down to Bullets & Numbering - this will open the formatting window - there should be a box to customize where you can enter in your preferred settings.

garymacd
03-31-2009, 10:58 PM
Like Thrillme says, highlight your bulleted lines, then on the home tab at the top of your page you will see the Bullets button. Right beside it is a small down arrow. Press the down arrow and select the bullet style you like.

If the bullets default has changed, I don't know how to change it back to a default round dot, but that should be the first bullet on your list of bullets. It shouldn't change. I just tried to move them. They don't move and re-arrange.

If you need to reset your bullet indents, highlight the entire document. Make sure you save here before you go on. Press the bullet button. Your entire document should now be bulleted. Then hit the bullet button again and they should all disappear. Now go back and highlight the areas you want bulleted and they should all line up.

I usually try to do my bullets after I have finished the entire article. That way numbered bullets line up and I don't have different indents. Highlight the lines you want bulleted and press the bullet button.

If some of the lines need to be sub points or sub bullets, do the above, then highlight the sup points and press TAB, or put your cursor at the start of the line and press TAB. This indents them further and gives them a different bullet/number/letter.

Hope this helps. Hope it wasn't too much.