PDA

View Full Version : Why is there "Love it" or "Hate it" on POFQ?

Gregandmel
03-31-2009, 01:41 PM
We stayed at the WL last year and are thinking of returning next year and staying at POFQ. I read really great reviews at this resort, with some that didn't care for it at all. The main thing I read on those that don't care for it is that it's dirty and not kept up. Not just on Intercot threads, but other research I"m doing on reviews - like tripadvisor.com. Seems like I'll read 5 or 6 really great reviews, then a really bad one. Is there a specific building that is maybe more dirty than the others? I was curious. I"m a bit nervous to change resorts because we loved WL so much, just not sure we can swing the cost again. Thoughts???

Tygger7
03-31-2009, 02:28 PM
I think the thing that makes me most nervous, and unlikely to use POFQ is the inconsistency. As you pointed out, it can be really good or really bad. Our experience was really bad, but my brother & his family stayed at POFQ, in the same building, and had a great experience. In general, I've heard much better reviews and experiences with Port Orleans Riverside, vesus French Quarter. I would be willing to try POR, but will never go to POFQ again. Like you, we're huge WL fans and I hate the thought of staying anywhere else. To be honest, if I can't stay at WL I would probably go to the other extreme and stay at POP Century. Our experience at POP was a thousand times better than POFQ. Just my two cents. :D

Checkers
03-31-2009, 02:43 PM
:mickey:We've stayed at POFQ on several occasions and it is our moderate of choice. We have never had a bad experience there, however, if we checked in and our room was dirty I would not hesitate to insist on a room change.

KatMark
03-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Unofrtunately, you will find this on any resort. On one of the other forums I am a member of, there is a real love/hate relationship with the CSR (which happens to be our favorite resort) and also with the CR, and the Poly. What some people like others will not. DH and I will never stay at the GF or the WL as neither one appeals to us. This doesn't mean it is a bad resort, it just isn't our style. I don't believe anything Trip Advisors or any of those other places stay because most of the people that do those reviews are business travelers.

The only way you'll know if you like the resort is to try it yourself and not go based on the reviews.

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-31-2009, 03:12 PM
We've been at POFQ twice (with a third booked for mid-May) and never had a bad experience.

I'm not sure why it seems to run so "hot & cold", I just assume that if we did ever have a problem, they would sort it out, but we've never had anything to worry about.

vicster
03-31-2009, 03:17 PM
We're WL fans also but last September we decided to try a moderate because friends were going and staying at POFQ. At first my DH said "next year we're back at WL" and it took me a couple of days to get used to the resort. However, I booked for this September to stay at POFQ. I totally liked that it's a smaller resort and everything is within walking distance. Our room was always clean. Everyone's going to have their own opinion on all the resorts. Some friends of ours stayed at WL a few years ago and said their room was dirty. So we quit listening to other people and decided to find out for ourselves.

Leighler
03-31-2009, 03:27 PM
I loved POFQ and would stay there again in a heartbeat if I wasn't trying to save money. I would say there are probably more good experiences than bad ones. You have to remember that people are more likely to post a negative review b/c it sticks out more in their mind than something good. If you go somewhere and your room is great you're not as likely to write something than if it was horrible and you wanted to get it off your chest. That's just my opinion. I also would say if I checked in and had a dirty room I would request to be moved. I'm sure Disney would accomodate if you let them know. They don't know unless you tell them!! Good luck!

Seasonscraps
03-31-2009, 04:31 PM
The love/hate thing happens with everything...check out reviews of Coral Reef or All Star Resorts or the Disney Bus system etc. The only way to know for sure is to try check out for yourself. :mickey:

E-OR
03-31-2009, 05:23 PM
I have to agree with those who have said that you will find the "love it or hate it" with everything at WDW. We personally love POFQ and will be staying here for the 4th time in September. We have also stayed at CBR and did not care for it. (It was before the refurbishments and was really worn out.) We have stayed at all of the values and don't care for POP but love ASmovies. We read mostly bad reviews on the Sci Fi restaurant and after a few trips to WDW decided to try it. It is now one of our families favorites and we eat here at least once every trip. If you are nervous split you stay and see what you think.

Disney Doll
03-31-2009, 06:01 PM
We've never stayed at POFQ because the theme doesn't really appeal to me (silly I know). However, I agree with everyone else who has said that you just have to try it. I'm sure every resort has good days and bad days. The key is to speak up and let them know if you are not satisfied taht way they have an opportunity to correct the problem.

Kairi_7378
03-31-2009, 07:01 PM
I think that's just the nature of review sites. People only write in to rave or to bash a product, hotel room, etc.

We stayed at POFQ on our last trip and I loved it. DH, on the other hand, said it was just okay. (He had picked FQ for our trip but after we stayed there he found that he preferred the theming at PORS.) It showed me that two people having the same exact trip could have a different read on things.

c&d
04-01-2009, 09:43 AM
The only reason why we wouldn't stay at POFQ is the food court. We stayed there several years ago and it might have changed but the food court was horrible. The choices were very few and had nothing that we liked.

As for the resort, we loved it. We liked that it was small and everything we close by. Being the first bus stop was also nice.

Daddy Mouse
04-01-2009, 10:50 AM
DW and I will be staying at POFQ in August. We did a great deal of research on all moderate and value resorts. We stayed at ASMo and we liked it, as it suited our needs and we were not in our room except to sleep at night. What we didn’t like were the unsupervised teenagers having the run of the resort. When we decided on POFQ it was because of several factors; Size, Ambiance, Proximity to parks using Disney transportation. We will rate it for ourselves when we go.

Nini5055
04-01-2009, 11:16 AM
I stayed at POFQ and loved it. I like the size of the resort. I remember it as being more romantic and enjoyed it considerably. I also love the beingnets. :thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
04-01-2009, 11:32 AM
After being a moderator in the Accommodations forums for many years (and a big fan of Tripadvisor), I think you find that this these types of comments are typical of almost every hotel/resort. This is especially true at Disney World, where I think people's expectations are unusually high, even at the value resorts. Balance that out with those are just so happy to be at WDW that they love anywhere they stay and there you have the "hot and cold" thing.

I have never stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter, but wouldn't hesitate to try it for myself.

4ubie1
04-01-2009, 12:02 PM
I have to agree with some: It is always going to be some who love a resort and some who hate it. I really think that it is just personal preference. Granted, if I stayed at a resort and found the rooms to be dirty or the resort itself to be less than stellar, I would probably try a different resort next time. Although if I really loved the resort, I may just demand a new room and forget about it so to speak. :confused: For me, staying at one of the Allstars or POP resorts holds no appeal.:shrug: I just am not interested in them. I would rather save up my money and splurge alil for a moderate like POR or even a deluxe like POLY.:cloud9: Does that make the other resorts bad? NOPE..I just don't care for them.

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
04-01-2009, 03:25 PM
I think I speak from experience as you can see by my signature when I say we enjoy POFQ! Some love it and some hate it but as for me and my crew there is no ther place! The size and ambience are wonderful and we have NEVER had a bad experience there. That could change the next time we go but I am at Disney so who cares? All places good and bad are what you make of them.

SandmanGStefani24
04-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Unofrtunately, you will find this on any resort. On one of the other forums I am a member of, there is a real love/hate relationship with the CSR (which happens to be our favorite resort) and also with the CR, and the Poly. What some people like others will not. DH and I will never stay at the GF or the WL as neither one appeals to us. This doesn't mean it is a bad resort, it just isn't our style. I don't believe anything Trip Advisors or any of those other places stay because most of the people that do those reviews are business travelers.

The only way you'll know if you like the resort is to try it yourself and not go based on the reviews.

Well, I happen to contribute to tripadvisor regularly, and have only written one bad review. (and i am HARDLY a business traveller! hehe) as for the bad reviews, i look for trends, or strong majorities before making a judgement. there are going to be bad experiences (like mine at ASMusic last stay) but i still gave it a decent review. you just need to keep an open mind when reading reviews...

LudwigVonDrake
04-05-2009, 11:18 AM
I stayed at POFQ last July and had a great experience. I'm going back this July and hope to have a similar experience :mickey:

Hull-onian
04-05-2009, 11:21 AM
We love POFQ. It's awesome.:thumbsup:

AllDisney
04-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Everyone has different opinions. It's just a matter of choice. Here is my opinion.

The resort was beginning major room renovations when we were there. Our room was clean, but worn. The pool was really nice at the end of the day. It's a more romantic, small resort. We had a great time there, but it's not a resort that is on our "return to" list.

Hope you have a great time at WDW.

Magic Smiles
04-05-2009, 06:23 PM
The only reason why we wouldn't stay at POFQ is the food court. We stayed there several years ago and it might have changed but the food court was horrible. The choices were very few and had nothing that we liked.

Just goes to show how everyone has a different opinion. My family absolutely loves the POFQ and the food courtm, having never had a bad meal there. We have actually been known to return to the POFQ just to eat dinner and then head out to another park.
Many times we found that the servings are so large that we can split a meal. Especially if it is the chicken ceasar salad. We are hardly ever able to eat all the food on our plates.

forever a child
04-12-2009, 05:43 PM
My Daughter and I had an awful experience when we stayed here in 2005. It was not a clean as our previous year at POR. We also got locked out of our room not once but twice late a night upon returning from the parks after they had closed. Apparently, the door lock was having issues reading the cards to allow entry, so they had to change it. My daughter had to wait while I when to find out why no one was coming to let us in. I had gone to the service desk and was told someone would be on their way but no one ever came. So I had to return again to ask for help. It was awful and they didn't bother to apologize or anything. I finally got 1 night removed from my bill when I made such a fuss about it. But it was a nightmare! I do no plan on returning there. We had had such a wonderful time at POF that now that I am planning our 2009 trip there, I am not really considering anything else but POF. Of course this incident happened in 2005, but it doesn't sound like they have improved much in cleanliness or service. IMHO!:mickey: