PDA

View Full Version : pet owners

Stitchahula
03-31-2009, 11:19 AM
I was just wondering how some of us have come up with our pets names. Here's how my 3 got theirs, Shantara's escape, named after her great grandmother shantara and escape well when the breeder took them out she led the escape of the whole litter into the woods. Shealin was named because when I worked at a printing company that name came through for a birth announcement and I loved it. Spooky Miss Shianne was the name of a character in a book I read and I loved how different the spelling was, and my little boys 1st ride at disney was the HM. She actually was almost named pirate but I figure next one can be named that since that is my other sons 1st ride.

SBETigg
03-31-2009, 11:27 AM
My pug is Drake. He's named after a character in my first book, the publication of which helped give us the financial freedom to move to a new house where we had room for dogs. My corgi is Kylie, which just seemed to fit for some reason when we were brainstorming for girl dog names.

Boojum
03-31-2009, 01:30 PM
Our first family dog was "Roxanne." She was a basset hound, and named this because my husband loved the song by The Police. We had her 13 years.

We now have two mutts, "Scarlet" and "Sam." We gave Scarlet her name because she's as red as an Irish Setter. Sam is Sam because.....well, he just seems like a Sam to us!

beksy
03-31-2009, 01:54 PM
My cat is Minnie because when I found her she was tiny and I wanted her to have a Disney name. If she was a boy, she would have been Mickey. My cats that I share with my parents and sister are Smokey because she's gray, Peaches because she is a pale yellow to orange color with white stripes and reminded my sister of a Peach, and Sheba who is a boy but we didn't know that when I named him! He's our Siamese so we wanted a foreign-sounding name. My first thought was Bathsheba (no idea why) and we dropped that to Sheba. Now people think he's named after the food but I didn't even think of that. Our puppy is named Queenie. She picked her name. On the drive home we were tossing out name possibilities and the first noise Queenie ever made was when Dad mentioned the name Queenie. The way she rules the house, the name fits.

Disney Doll
03-31-2009, 02:05 PM
I have 4 cats.

Sebastian and Sam (Samantha) are litter mates and I wanted two names that went together. Sebastian is a large males cat who is a big sissy so we wanted a more effeminate name for him. :blush:

Louise is #3. Her name was Emma, but she turned out to be quite spunky with lots of attitude so it evolved from Emma to Emma Lou to Louise. Emma was just too sweet of a name for this cat. :cool:

Lily is the baby. She's small for an adult cat and has the softest baby meow. She just seems like a delicate little flower. :D

sassafras
03-31-2009, 02:08 PM
Our Old English Sheepdog is Dame Patience Merriweather. She is the offspring of our 2 previous OES's, Madame Zodiac, Seer of All and Diamond Gem Brody. Zodiac (known as Zoe), got her name due to the fact she had 1 brown eye and 1 blue eye and I thought she looked like she belonged in a circus! Patience got her name since I said she had no patience and I had to have alot with her! The Dame part was to make her sound English. The Merriweather was because when she was born she had little chubby cheeks like my grandmother, who looked like Merriweather, the fairy from Sleeping Beauty. We also have a Jack Russell named Abigail Adams. Got that name from the fact my sis knows a woman with a JR named Hilary Rodham, so I just thought we'll keep it kind of presidential. Our cat is Sassafras as she is part tiger, part calico and the color of sassafras which my grandfather loved! Kind of goofy, but, hey, it runs in the family!:blush:

kakn7294
03-31-2009, 02:17 PM
My dog is Maggie - named for Maggie of the Simpsons because she had a huge rubber pacifier when we got her and DH said we couldn't call her Puppy all her life. Our cats are Annie and Maya - they already had names and we kept Annie's but changed Maya's from Mandy. I'm not sure why but DH and DD9 insisted on the change. Our rabbit is Snowball - go figure, he's all white.

thrillme
03-31-2009, 02:25 PM
TC got her name because my late husband said she was a stray and she wasn't going to stay around soooo...he wouldn't let me name her...I got tired of calling her "The Cat" so I shortened it to TC...he claimed that was a "loophole". Thus...17/18 years later...she's still TC. I'm figuring she's about 19/20 years old now.

The others kinda got "Cosmic Creepers" type names (the names they came with). Mittens was called Mittens because of 4 white paws, Bess (dog) because she was found at a local manufacturing plant by the same name, Tiger (cat) because he came with tiger stripes and Wilson the turtle because he was so tiny when we found him that he was put in a little WILSON golf ball box.

cindchan
03-31-2009, 08:17 PM
Well, I can name the two most recent pets. I got a blue canary and named her Sora (which is Japanese for sky). My guinea pig's name is Copper, due to her copperish highlights. ^_^

Georgesgirl1
03-31-2009, 08:48 PM
We have two dogs- a balck lab named Daisy Leigh and a mutt named Bug. When we went to get Daisy from the breeder I had already decided to name her Daisy and I gave her my middle name- Leigh. It really has nothing to do with Daisy Duck which is what most people think since I am such a huge Disney fan. Bug is a rescue dog. When we got her, her name was Ladybug, but they were calling her Lady. She is not a Lady or a Ladybug. She is too spunky for such calm names. We started calling her Bug until we could settle on a name, and it stuck. Once I made an appointment at the vet's office and the receptionist said to me once I got there, "I wondered what a "Bug" would look like, but she is definitely a "Bug." It fits her well!"

My grandparents had a cat named Mr. Ugly. He was pretty ugly, but very sweet. My grandmother said that calling him ugly would hurt his feelings so he became Mr. U.

Kenny1113
03-31-2009, 08:59 PM
We have two labs, Baloo and Ernie. One guess where the names came from....the kids! When we adoopted Ernie, my DS7 (then 2) said "I want to hold it Ernie" So his name was Ernie ever since. Believe it or not I once met someone with a Black lab named Baloo as well. What are the odds.

jrkcr
03-31-2009, 09:07 PM
DD9 has a beta fish, named Pearl. When we got her she was tiny, and solid white(like a pearl). DD9 picked her cause she was not so pretty and colorful as the other betas, and needed someone to love her. Now she is big and pink/purple, and very pretty.

MY dog named Baby. Big, black, lab retriever, about 9 years old. I've had her a year.The pound named her, but it is perfect, as she whines constantly and cries when I leave her. She wants to be my 75 pound lap dog. I never liked dogs much, and now I :heart: Baby!

Cats: (all neutered males)
DD9 has Merlin (the magician), white cat with hidden mickey on his back and an exclamation point beside it. Not sure why she picked Merlin and not Mickey. :confused: His mother was killed shortly after he was born, so "Uncle Harry" raised him.

DD17 has Harry. All white with one black "mark" on his forehead, like Harry Potter. I rescued him from a dog tug-of-war when he was just a young kitten. He became Merlins adopted parent when Mittens was killed.

DD15 has brothers, Huney and Tono- also from the pound. We just got them this month. Both are honey colored, and tono is Japanese for lord(so DD says). Huney is sweet and soft and quiet, Tono is not. DD15 is into Japanese anime...

I also have a gray bunny that lives in my front yard...we call him "Oh Look".

And that's all for now!

garymacd
03-31-2009, 10:17 PM
Our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel's name is Satchie. We have no idea what it means. He came with the name. He's a rescue.

Our young cat is a bengal feline that was found in a creek by one of the neighbour kids. My wife wanted to call her Jack after Captain Jack. She got out voted. At one point she was wrapped around my daughter's neck, so we were going to call her Scarf, but that lacked class. We ended up with Mina, short for Pashmina, whatever that is.

Tink2002
03-31-2009, 11:21 PM
Our golden doodle (half golden retriever/ half standard poodle) is named Hunter. My dad chose the name because I think he was hoping that the dog would, well, hunt with him.

If we really wanted to give him a functional name, though, we should have probably gone with "ItsAGoodThingYou'reCuteBecauseYouReallyLiketoRunAw ayToTheNeighbors."

I guess Hunter is still okay.

Stitchahula
04-01-2009, 10:49 AM
I love these names. Oh and tink2002 I love the alternate name, with my Shianne I'm constantly saying it's a good thing you're pretty. My vet actually told me to read marley and me because she reminds them of marley. The only difference is she's black and a female. When I had her in obedience class everyone was SHOCKED the she PASSED her final test. I called my vet the next morning and they asked how much I payed the instructor to give her a diploma. She has settled down alot since then and is great with my boys but boy is it a good things she's cute.

MNNHFLTX
04-01-2009, 10:57 AM
We have two dogs, two cats--

Louie (dog)--a black lab mix, was my dad's dog before he came to live with us eight years ago. "Screwy Louie" was my dad's nickname in high school (I don't know why) and that is why he chose it.

Oreo (dog)--is a another black lab mix who had a little white fur under her chin and on the bottom of her paws (hence the creme-filling reference!) She has developed a lot more white on her muzzle as she's aged.

Tupelo (cat)--so named because we found him as a kitten, abandoned on the side of a freeway outside of Tupelo, MS, on a road trip.

Oddball (cat)--named this because he's, well--odd looking! He is a white manx (no tail) with one blue eye and one green eye. He was a Katrina kitten we got at the SPCA.

:dog: :cat:

Hull-onian
04-02-2009, 06:39 PM
We got Valentino on Valentine's day. He was a shelter kitty, and that is the day I picked him up.:mickey:

Tinksalot
04-02-2009, 07:33 PM
My dogs name is Riley. He's named after my great-great grandfather that served in the civil war. My husband thinks my great-great :dog: grandfather is rolling over in his grave at the thought of my dog being named after him.

DisneyLandMomma
04-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Our three dogs have very simple names...:blush:

Brownie-a chocolate lab mix...when she got her she was brown...now she's almost black.

Rocky-his a boxer and my hubby thought it would be funny.

Buffy-cocker spaniel; a stray we rescued, the vet actually called her that when we took her for her shots and to get fixed. The name stuck.

We also have two cockatiels, my DD named them Tweety and Sylvester. :)

DreaminofDisney24
04-03-2009, 01:53 PM
I love reading these names! We have four animals, each with a real name, but somehow all got nicknames!

Cats:
Frodo-duh! My husband had this name picked out before we even had the cat! But it totally fits, and Frodo (a tuxedo colored cat) has a white ring around one of his legs...Frodo is also known as FroFro, Fro, and of course-"Stop peeing on that!"

Bria-We named her after a piano theory term-"Brio", with life! Also known as Bree, pudgey butt, and "get the claws outta me!"

Our Sheltie sisters

Kallie-greek, means most beautiful one...also totally comes to "no Kallie" "get off of that Kallie" "drop it Kallie" "leave it Kallie" and "butthead":blush: because, well, she is sometimes!

Kaya-(rhymes with Maya) means sister-also called "Kay" and "oh you are such a good dog why can't your sister be more like you";)

We love our furbabies!

Advnt05
04-03-2009, 02:18 PM
I got my first dog from the pound. She was golden in color so I named her "Nugget". When she was older, I picker her up a young puppy partner from the pound after a trip to Montana and named him "George Custard" because I like frozen treats and had been to Little Big Horn. Nugget has passed but my wife had Zeke ( a dane mix) when we got married. More recently to fill out the family, a stray beagle wandered into our yard. He's "Keegan" which is Irish for little fiery one. Three dogs total now.

Stitchahula
04-03-2009, 02:22 PM
I love this most non pet owners think we just pick a name out of the hat, but it seems like we all put more thought than that into it.:thumbsup:

momef3grls
04-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Ok we are dog and fish people so we have had quite a few...1st dog was a rottie named Nika she was beautiful but a rescue and once we had kids she did not like them so unfortuately we had to give her up(she went to a farm and is loving life as a herding dog)..2nd dog was a heeler/shepherd mix named Nikki she was great but did not get along with the girls so she went to another farm(again doing great and loving it)..3rd dog was a doxie named killer(yeah i know) her paper name was Brittini's lil sweetheart but she wouldn't answer to anything except killer and she did not like rabbits (lived up to the name) she lived to 14yoa..4th dog was a rottie named Force(short for Daddy's Enforcer) what do you expect we have 3 daughters had to put him down at the age of 5 due to hip displaysia (saddest day of my life)..5th dog a basset hound named Fubar(husband in the Navy) it is an abbreviation but I won't post it here this is a family site. she is still with us and the princess of the couch..6th dog is Franzi, short for Franizskaner beer, my husband sells it and it just fit with the german breed..we also currently have a beta fish named Gibbs (we love NCIS) and a guinea pig named Katie (KGP for short)..that covers our extended family.

AdventurerKim
04-04-2009, 06:02 PM
My DH named his cat he had when we got married Ripley after S. Weaver's character in the "Alien" series and for Ripley's Believe It or Not, and our current feline is named Rodan after Emil Blehall's 500 pidgeon at the Adventurers Club, so when we come home, we can yell "Hey Rodan!!!!!" And yes, we do this.

jrpersinger
04-04-2009, 09:40 PM
We have two Min-Pins.

First we have a male black and rust named Bucket Buster, aka Buster. We got the name Buster from my and DHs favorite movie, Closer. That is what Natalie Portman called Jude Law threw out the movie. The Bucket part came from DH. His nickname while in Iraq last time is Buckethead. That came from the fact that he was a gunner they everyone kidded they stuck him up there because his head was as hard as a bucket, that if a bullet hit him, it would just bounce off. Anyways, DH didn't want a dog, not a huge fan of them. But then Buster came along. I couldn't find Buster the 2nd day we had him, I looked everywhere. Turned out, DH took him to bed with him. I found them sunggled under the covers together. I joked that Buster busted the Bucket... and he became Bucket Buster.

Then we have a completely insane chocolate and rust female. Her name is Lucy Bailey. Lucy came from several Lucys. Lucy from Chronicles of Narnia, 50 First Dates and Charlie Brown. It took a few days for her name to stick. She was Bailey at first, it was just a name the kids liked. But then, we started to get to know her and Bailey didn't fit. Lucy just seemed to fit. She is mean and a bully like Lucy from Charlie Brown, confused as Lucy from 50 First Dates and as curious as Lucy from Chronicles of Narnia. We kept the name Bailey on as a middle name, so not to confuse her completely when we yelled for her.

IamBelle
04-07-2009, 06:32 PM
I have 2 cats and two dogs, but only one dog and one cat have interesting names...
Dog: Boston: picked him up at Logan Airport the day the Red Sox won the world series for the second time

Cat: Mario-my mom said he looked like an old man with a big mustache (his whiskers are huge), and we decided Mario was the perfect name!

Marilyn Michetti
04-08-2009, 12:06 AM
My sweet Bassett, was a rescue from "the needle", and was a mess, with tonsillitis, mange, and about 20 lbs underweight. He was SO ugly, (at first), that he needed a noble name, so he was Bentley. I grew to love him, and started calling him Sweet Bentley.

Our Chow needed an Oriental name, but ended up as Cody. It fits her.:paw::puppy::dog:

AHOTE
04-08-2009, 02:31 AM
We have 4 cats, all strays who for whatever reason decided to adopt us. First one is Lady Vadar, she's an all black cat with a temperment that sometimes mirrors her namesake. Darth would be proud. :darth: Then there's Deadeye, he's an older grey tabby who is missing one eye and walks with a limp like Chester on the old Gunsmoke series. Kitty is his buddy, he's an all white cat who watches out for Deadeye and makes sure Lady Vadar minds herself. No he's not named after Miss Kitty, that wouldn't be right. Then there's Sam, :cat: the most gentle red tabby you could ever want. His favorite toys are balloons that he'll play with until they goes flat on their own. Seldom does he ever break one. My niece gave him his name from a Dr. Suess book she had been reading.

RAIDER
04-08-2009, 03:44 AM
I have 2 cats .....

Badger ..She got her name because she is black & white and as a kitten she wouldnt stop badgering you for food and attention

Tyson ..... shes a pure black cat ,absolute hell raiser ands loves to bite on Badgers ears !!!! :D

Princess'Mom
04-08-2009, 09:02 AM
I have 2 cats .....

Badger ..She got her name because she is black & white and as a kitten she wouldnt stop badgering you for food and attention

Tyson ..... shes a pure black cat ,absolute hell raiser ands loves to bite on Badgers ears !!!! :D

Brilliant!:thumbsup:

MickeyMousse
04-08-2009, 09:23 AM
I ahve loved reading all the posts about how we pet owners come up with our fur kids names!

Our first family dog was an American Eskimo which I named Harmony. When I was a kid, I loved (still do) harp seals and my mother bought me a stuffed one, whose name tag was "Harmony the Harp Seal". I vowed that someday I would own a white dog and name it Harmony. So in 1991, I did!

Then in 1996 came our white German Shep, Dakota. It's my husband's dog and he chose the name during a brainstorm.

Before moving into our new home in 2006, we rescued an American Eskimo who we named Melody. (I wanted to keep with the music theme)
:dance:

tjstrike
04-09-2009, 04:40 AM
Mine aren't hard to figure out where their names came from : 3 dogs - Pooh and Stitch are the 2 males and minnie is a female.

BedknobsandBroomsticks
04-11-2009, 02:40 PM
hey georgesgirl, my middle name is Leigh too!! It is very uncommon and I have never met anyone else with it. Too cool. My mom said she loved Janet Leigh and chose it because of her. It used to peeve my off when kids would say what is your middle name "lay", but now I love it. Our dog, a 1\2 gordon setter and 1\2 doberman was named Lilly after the character Lilly on a t.v. show called "I'll Fly Away". Anyone remember it? Our old cat was called "BooBooKitty" after Shirley Feenie's stuffed cat boobookitty on Laverne and Shirley. My brother named our first dog Rusher because he always rushed around in circles.

DisneyMelissa
04-12-2009, 11:41 PM
After seeing Oliver and Company, I always wanted a kitten named Oliver. I ended up getting a female kitten, so I named her Olivia. She's a sweetheart :)

Jodi
04-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Ok, well our (now) 16 year old cat was named by DD ( at the time 2yrs old) Little Beast (her favorite movie when we got him was Beauty and the Beast). Our dog, which we got approx. 3 years ago is named Copper , yes, after Copper in Fox and the Hound. Copper is part beagle, part miniature pinscher, but, has alot of copper color in him. DD's wanted Todd, but, we thought Copper was a much better fit.

Scar
04-13-2009, 10:42 PM
My wonderful Pitbull is Belle... Yes, named after her.

My awsome black cat is O.J. , born the night of June 12, 1994.

AvonleaCF
04-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Aurora -- my Sleeping Beauty kitty cat.

:cat:

Stitchahula
04-14-2009, 06:27 PM
And to think some people don't believe we put any thought to the naming of our pets. I guess this thread is proof that we do.:thumbsup:

mrsgaribaldi
04-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Albert, on the left of my avatar, is named after my father because they alike. Al has white hair on his nose and he looks like a wrinkly old man. Charlie, his blood brother, is named after my father's brother. I also have a cat with hair named Samantha. She was named after a nurse I used to work with. Someone else I worked with had her before me and named her.

InLikeSin
04-25-2009, 10:18 PM
2 Cats:
Hamilton: named after a cute little cartoon i'd watch with my brother when he was in preschool, "Maggie and the ferious beast" the beast's name was Hamilton.

Manchester: My husband picked this one. He is a big football (soccer) fan and when he found out he could claim Hamilton was named after a team (the Hamilton Academicals) then he wanted another soccer name, this was the only one i'd agree to (its either Manchester United or Manchester City i dunno)

Our Parrotlet:
Everton: I have always really liked this name and I thought it'd be better for a pet to live with it than our first born haha.Besides he had to have a strong enough name to live with his cat brothers, those are big names to live up to. Little did I know this is also a soccer team name!