PDA

View Full Version : Turn off your phones!!!

Imagineer1981
03-30-2009, 02:14 PM
My sister just returned and said she was distracted at several of the 3d shows and live shows because of people's cells going off. I realize we live in a world of instant communication, but just like at the movies (which doesn't always happen) turn off your ringers! Has anyone else experienced this?

DizneyRox
03-30-2009, 02:41 PM
It's been going on for years, and getting worse. The ringers are one thing, but people also tend to plan during the shows as well.

I really wish disney would start jamming the signals inside the show buildings.

vicster
03-30-2009, 02:49 PM
I really wish disney would start jamming the signals inside the show buildings.

I wish they'd jam them in the grocery store. I can't count how many times I thought someone was talking to me only to find they had a blue tooth in their ear and they're talking on the phone.

JPL
03-30-2009, 03:11 PM
I remmber this problem as early as 2001 with people constantly on the phone even talking through enutire attractions. Unfortunately Disney can't jam the signals it's against FCC regulations.

Stu29573
03-30-2009, 03:24 PM
I remmber this problem as early as 2001 with people constantly on the phone even talking through enutire attractions. Unfortunately Disney can't jam the signals it's against FCC regulations.

It's against FCC regulations to intentionally jam the signals, however if its a result of architecture, etc, it's ok...maybe Disney can use that somehow....Ok, I doubt it....

zebradome17
03-30-2009, 03:26 PM
I hate it when people are on their phones in the various attractions. I remeber once i was even on ToT and someone was talking on their mobile as we were going up pre-show shaft. It drove me mad:mad:

dumbo ears
03-30-2009, 04:52 PM
ya ive experienced this on a few attractions. I have learned to just try to ignore it but seriously people if you are gonna be in a room with hundreds of people just put your phone on silent till the show is over

kakn7294
03-30-2009, 04:53 PM
I put mine on silent inside shows and attractions - and I don't answer it if someone does call. I can call them back when it's more convenient for me. ;) I have texted but that shouldn't be distracting to anyone but me and I won't text in a darkened attraction or theater - there's too much light from the screen.

mickey&missy
03-30-2009, 05:40 PM
OMG! Isn't it terrible?! Not only is it annoying on the rides but it also annoying having to dodge people walking and talking because they aren't paying attention!!

Also, what is the deal with people wearing their bluetooth headsets in WDW!? Come on people it's called vacation for a reason!

DANAM
03-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Who needs there phone we are supposed to be on vacation.
I left my charger at home one trip and it was wonderful. Eight days and no one could call us. Until the local news reported tornados in Disney which was so false they where about 50 miles away. Too bad no one know we had left the charger at home my mom was in a state of panic because she didn't hear from us in 6 days.

Pop Centurion
03-30-2009, 07:19 PM
It's amazing how rude people are when it comes to cell phones in places like that. If it's not the ringer it's the annoying light from the phone that distracts you because they're texting someone.
I recently went to a movie and this girl four rows in front of us was texting for the first hour of the movie before I couldn't take it anymore. I said did you come here to watch a movie or text on your phone? She ignored me so I then said that's getting real annoying. I'm a laid back guy that ignores stuff like this if it happens once but when people keep doing it with no regard for others around them, it's hard not to say something.

BMan62
03-30-2009, 07:25 PM
I just put mine in the room safe and check it when we get back to the room. There is nothing, shy of a death in the family (God forbid!,) that I would need to carry my phone around for while on vacation at WDW.

cfoshe
03-30-2009, 08:07 PM
I carry my phone and use it. I am on call 24/7 365 with my job. I have to have it, part of the requirement. With that said, it is always on silent at disney world, and I only use it while outside of the attractions. Sometimes its a good week and I do not receive very many interruptions, but others its not.

pink
03-30-2009, 08:55 PM
We had the same problem.

One girl (after waiting 100 minutes in line for Test Track) immediately pulled out her cell phone and texted during the entire ride. :confused:

We also had another girl who was having an AIM conversation during the stretching room scene in the HM.

There was another person who answered their phones during Mickey's Philmargic.

:mickey:

BriarRose
03-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Ahh, remember the good old days BEFORE cell phones?

I sometimes wish Disney would do what we experienced at some other theme parks, where you couldn't take ANYTHING on a ride. You had to leave everything in a locker. It's really annoying at first, until you realize no one is on a cell phone or snapping pictures on the rides. Imagine riding HM or PotC and not having anyone using flash photography? When we were done riding some of the rides, we went back to the locker and then we walked the park and took pictures. It was great.

Seasonscraps
03-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Considering I hear cell phones ring in church at weddings & funerals, I would be surprised if people exhibited cell phone courtesy in a place like a theme park.

Dragongirlx
03-31-2009, 04:08 AM
I go on holiday to get away from the constant ringing of the phone - it gets checked once in the morning and then gets left in the room all day

castlelady36
03-31-2009, 09:30 AM
I carry mine but turn it to silent during attractions.....but I know others are not so polite and will talk and talk and talk and not care how much they are ruining it for everyone else. They must be in the same family as the flash camera users!!!

BugeyedMuggy
03-31-2009, 09:37 AM
Say something. If more people very nicely told people how rude this was it may get a few to stop. or not.

ojeilatan
03-31-2009, 02:50 PM
We carry our phones at WDW for one reason only - we've learned the hard way (on the Vegas Strip of all places) how simple it is to get seperated even as adults. However, they go in our individual back packs, and stay on silent the entire time. They only come out to snap a quick picture (off the rides of course) to send to friends back home. Texts and phone calls will go unanswered until we are back at the hotel for the night, and even then it's minimal. No real world stuff allowed for us while at Disney! :mickey:

Insanity Clause
03-31-2009, 04:15 PM
The ONLY reason I even bring mine to the parks is that we have other people in our party and sometimes we split up and have to meet back up later. But I always have it on vibrate, I never put the ringer on the whole time that I am in Florida. I think it is rude in the attractions and especially the shows to be talking on your phone.

PET PEEVE TIME:The one the really drives me nuts is the bluetooth phenomenon. I keep thinking these people are talking to me only to discover they have a blue tooth. It looks like they are walking around talking to themselves. I apologize if I have insulted anyone with this but I stated it was a pet peeve.

DawsonAR
03-31-2009, 04:15 PM
I was on TOT a few years ago and a woman talked on her phone through the whole ride. I was amazed that anyone would do that.

Daddy Mouse
03-31-2009, 09:46 PM
I was on TOT a few years ago and a woman talked on her phone through the whole ride. I was amazed that anyone would do that.

A picture of a lifetime!

Ian
04-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Ugh. A-MEN to that!

Look, I'm one of those people that is married to his PDA. I'm a "constantly in touch with the office" kind of guy, but even I would never use my PDA or leave my phone ringer on in a show.

I was so annoyed a couple years ago, because I took DD to see CP, which is like one of my favorite events at WDW. I look forward to it all year long.

So I sit down and this idiot in front of me is literally texting on his Blackberry through the entire show. The light from the screen and all his pecking around on the keyboard was unbelievably distracting and basically ruined the show for me. Not to mention, it was amazingly disrespectful to the performers.

I almost said something to him, but it was just DD and I and I had no desire to get into a confrontation with a moron like that with no one there to look after my daughter.

People really need to learn some stinkin' manners.

IamBelle
04-01-2009, 03:29 PM
That happened to me last trip. We were in Sounds Dangerous and three people behind us were all on their phones! The lights were really distracting and you could barely hear the show (which is the whole point!) Without hearing the show, might as well sit in a dark room... Ooh, it was so annoying!!

Imagineer1981
04-02-2009, 11:33 AM
I too am married to my blackberry, but I will not use it during a show and both it and my cell are always on vibrate. I just wish Disney would make announcements before shows to turn cells off, but if they can't handle moving all the way to the end of the row, how could we expect cell phone enforcement?

Aurora
04-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Wouldn't it be great if every time someone uses his/her phone inside an attraction one of those cartoon boxing gloves on a spring would come out and pop them on the side of the face? I bet people would stop using them then!!

Imagineer1981
04-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Wouldn't it be great if every time someone uses his/her phone inside an attraction one of those cartoon boxing gloves on a spring would come out and pop them on the side of the face? I bet people would stop using them then!!

or the claw from the toy machines to pick people up and move them to the end of the row!

DisneyLiz
06-05-2009, 05:40 PM
It's against FCC regulations to intentionally jam the signals, however if its a result of architecture, etc, it's ok...maybe Disney can use that somehow....Ok, I doubt it....

They could always use lead lined walls. It's amazing how hard it is to get a cell signal in a hospital's former Radiology department! :D

I have to admit that I take my cell with me but it is usually on vibrate or silent (even when I'm not on vacation)

yasmina
06-05-2009, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=mickey&missy;1859531]OMG! Isn't it terrible?! Not only is it annoying on the rides but it also annoying having to dodge people walking and talking because they aren't paying attention!! QUOTE]

LOL! Just like driving!

Aggie97
06-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Yuck! I've found texting in darkened rides/shows to be an even worse problem than phone conversations the past couple years. I think those bright little phone screens are just as distracting as camera flashes. Ugh... nothing annoys me more at WDW!

disneymom2000
06-05-2009, 09:56 PM
It's amazing how most of the posters on this site agree how rude it is to have the cell phones on during shows. Where are all the people who think they are so important that they can't do without their cell phones and talk so loud so that everyone knows their business? To go one step further, I absolutely think it is horrible rudeness to sit and talk on a phone when you are having a meal with others. I usually get up and leave when someone answers their phone at the table and then continues to sit there and talk because I figure they want to be with the other person more so why should they have my company forced upon them when they obviously don't want it. Am I wrong???:confused:

ASweetLov
06-05-2009, 10:34 PM
I always have my phone on me when I am at WDW but incase of a family emergency and someone needs to call me. I always make sure to call my mom in the morning to say goodmorning and at night to say goodnight other than that I don't get bothered with calls or text messages.

alilprincessmom99
06-06-2009, 10:50 AM
I have never experienced it during a show, but on our trip in May, I had the strangest experience with a cell phone EVER! We were in the Animation Academy studio and this lady's cell phone rang, she answered it, and proceeded to talk (loudly) for about 5 minutes. It was ridiculously annoying and VERY rude! One of the other patrons turned around and looked at her at one point and said "excuse me", but she kept right on talking! I was shocked. I mean if I accidentally forget to turn my phone on vibrate, and it rings, I will grab it as quickly as possible and turn it off. But to be honest, I usually keep my phone on vibrate unless I am expecting to meet up with someone.

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-06-2009, 12:41 PM
I carry my cellphone into parks for one reason - time. I don't wear a watch so I carry my phone so I know what time it is. The ring is ALWAYS off! I hate it when people talk on their phones on rides and text on dark rides. The light is distracting and Disney should have a policy no text (just like no flash photography) on dark rides.

My DH however is a stay connected all the time kind of person. His job calls even when he's on vacation. I've in the past taken his phone from him because he kept taking phone calls. However he turns his ringer off when he's on rides and only takes phone calls outside.

I'm on vacation and I'm there to get away from the stress of everyday life. That's why I go to WDW.... to get away and be a kid again. I can't do that with people from the real world calling me.

It'sWDW4me
06-06-2009, 02:11 PM
My 2006 trip - vacationers = me, DS11, mom, DB1-16, DB2-11, DB1's BFF-16. This was my brother's friend's very first trip to the World. Unfortunately, he missed his girlfriend who was back at home. :cry: He pretty much missed EVERYTHING because his nose was stuck on his cell phone texting his GF all day, every day. He was hard to get up in the mornings because he'd been up all night texting, as well. He regrets it now but that doesn't change the fact that he really missed a wonderful vacation.

VolMickey
06-06-2009, 02:32 PM
My DH however is a stay connected all the time kind of person. His job calls even when he's on vacation. I've in the past taken his phone from him because he kept taking phone calls.

I'm the DH in my family and I can get nuts about staying in touch as well, but when I'm on vacation I do my best to turn off the work world. First trip with DD, I locked my Blackberry in the hotel safe for the entire week. That felt nice. :D

nicster
06-06-2009, 02:35 PM
We like to have our phones handy for when/if we split up. That would never actually be on a ride or during a show. ONLY when we are apart would we turn on the ringers. Is this hard to figure out or what???

Daisy'sMom
06-06-2009, 05:33 PM
We always leave our cell phone off in the parks, but this last week we learned the hard way why it is important to have one available. While we were at Epcot, two very dear friends of ours were in a horrible car accident resulting in them being transported by helicopter to Tampa. Their children live in Connecticut and they were completely alone.
We found out that night when we got home and their daughters had left messages. I felt terrible. By the time I got to the hospital, it was almost midnight and Katie kept saying, I told them to call you, that you would come. I feel terrible. From now on, we are leaving a phone on when we are at Disney.

Familyof4
06-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Most phones these days have a vibrate function. If you are paranoid you might miss a call, turn your phone to vibrate...then you will know you have a call, but your neighbors won't.

Kathy Jetson
06-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Dh and I both carry our phones because we split up often with ds and would never find each other again. We do keep it on vibrate when at shows or rides.

Becky2005
06-07-2009, 12:01 AM
We carry our phones at WDW for one reason only - we've learned the hard way (on the Vegas Strip of all places) how simple it is to get seperated even as adults.

Yep...after losing my family at DTD with no way to contact them (because I basically forgot about the guest relations there! It was my 1st time, I pretty much forgot a lot of everything I researched). I had no cell phone at that time and will be very glad to have one this time around. I *really* don't want a repeat of that.

It will be on silent though during shows and basically if I'm not seperated from my family, I have no need to use it. I basically only use it now to contact my DD & DH.

VolMickey
06-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Yep...after losing my family at DTD with no way to contact them ...

+1. As noted above, I try to leave my Blackberry locked away (far away) from me during trips, but we always have my DW's phone. That's the emergency way for the office, family, etc. to reach us. Also functions as a clock, as neither of us typically wear watches.

BluewaterBrad
06-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Yes!!!! It makes me:mad::mad::mad:

big blue and hairy
06-07-2009, 05:12 PM
I completely agree about cell phones in attractions. Just like in movies, turn them off or silence them, but have some manners!

We had someone talking on the cell phone when Muppets 3D was starting. First, I just looked at him, when that didn't work, I looked again and said would you please shut up?! That did it.

As far as the grocery store, though, come on, since when has Publix become a sanctuary? It's a grocery store. Bluetooth is just a fact of life now, we have to deal with it, as long as it's not rude. It is funny, thought that something that would have gotten you a one way ticket to the funny farm is now and everyday occurance.

:sulley:

Imagineer1981
06-09-2009, 11:05 AM
I completely agree about cell phones in attractions. Just like in movies, turn them off or silence them, but have some manners!

We had someone talking on the cell phone when Muppets 3D was starting. First, I just looked at him, when that didn't work, I looked again and said would you please shut up?! That did it.

As far as the grocery store, though, come on, since when has Publix become a sanctuary? It's a grocery store. Bluetooth is just a fact of life now, we have to deal with it, as long as it's not rude. It is funny, thought that something that would have gotten you a one way ticket to the funny farm is now and everyday occurance.

Agreed, turn them off as I originally posted but I agree with you that using your cell in the store is fine, just don't be on it when you are trying to check out, thats rude and slows you down

KAJUNKING
06-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Dh and I both carry our phones because we split up often with ds and would never find each other again. We do keep it on vibrate when at shows or rides.
:ditto: we keep them just in case,but always on silent and never used during a show or attraction

Stu29573
06-09-2009, 11:44 AM
I've never taked a phone to the parks, and I don't plan to on this trip. I figure I can check it in the morning and evening. That's what voice mail is for! (of course I will admit that I only got a cell phone about five years ago due to being really resistant to the idea of always being able to be found by people...weird, huh?):secret:

Granny Jill A
06-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Unfortunately Disney can't jam the signals it's against FCC regulations.

Can they jam the signals in people's heads?

egospotter
06-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Our cell phones fit perfectly into the little safe in the room and stay there until we are done for the day. I'm on vacation, if anyone needs me they can wait.

We leave a copy of of schedule with the folks at home, so I guess if there is ever an emergency, they can find a way to contact the restaurant we are going to be at that day. Otherwise, leave me alone! I'll call a couple of times to check on my kitties and when we get there to let people know we've arrived.

Last year was the only time we've ever carried it with us one day because my luggage was lost, but I hated having it and couldn't wait to be rid of it.

Goes4FastPass
06-09-2009, 04:32 PM
What I read in many of these posts is "separated... ...emergency messages".

What I see in the parks is dBrats (and that "d" isn't "dear") who can't stop twitling their pointless, stupid "me... you... you... me... whatever..." text nonsense while attending shows and riding rides. There is nothing these idiots have to text to the universe that can't wait until they are in a place where they aren't disturbing others.

There are many selfish, oafish lummoxes in the world. Sharing a day of attempted magic at WDW with some of them seems inevitable.

Figment52
06-09-2009, 06:34 PM
We like to have our phones handy for when/if we split up. That would never actually be on a ride or during a show. ONLY when we are apart would we turn on the ringers. Is this hard to figure out or what???

That's what DD and I do. We both have phones, and have agreed in the past that if/when we get seperated, we'll turn them on incase the other calls. Other than that, they're pretty much off the whole week. Occasionally DD will check messages/texts, but not often. Family members at home have our interary, so if they need to get in touch, and the phones are off, they can always call the resort to leave a message as well.

It's called vacation for a reason, I don't understand why people just can't put their phones down. I realize some people need to stay in touch 24/7 due to their work, but everyone else? Just relax and have a good time.

big blue and hairy
06-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Agreed, turn them off as I originally posted but I agree with you that using your cell in the store is fine, just don't be on it when you are trying to check out, thats rude and slows you downI agree...

Ksmith75
06-12-2009, 12:46 PM
We dont even take our phones to the parks. For one - I dont want to lose or break it. We leave an itinerary with my parents and our hotel phone number. We tell them that we do not check our messages until we get back from the parks - since we usually are in the parks from opening to about 2-3pm, then back for a nap, then back out - that is enough time to make any calls if necessary. Yes, I understand there could be emergencies, but checking our voicemail in the middle of the day works for us. I tell all family and friends that we do not have our phones with us in the parks - this also lets us enjoy our vacation without people texting and calling us all day!

BMan62
06-12-2009, 01:08 PM
It's called vacation for a reason, I don't understand why people just can't put their phones down. I realize some people need to stay in touch 24/7 due to their work, but everyone else? Just relax and have a good time.

Please post this same response in the 'Why not free WiFi?" thread. The same things apply - you are on vacation, not at work. Why can't the myriads of other people at work take care of the business!!

Seasonscraps
06-12-2009, 11:29 PM

Please post this same response in the 'Why not free WiFi?" thread. The same things apply - you are on vacation, not at work. Why can't the myriads of other people at work take care of the business!!

I don't understand why people care how other people spend their vacation time. Who cares if someone wants to talk on the phone or go online in their hotel rooms for whatever reason - work, check in with family members or just because they feel like talking on the phone? At the end of the day, it's not affecting my vacation.

For the record, I am 100% in favor of cell phone courtesy - ringers should be off during shows and rides, no texting during dark rides, etc. I think that's rude and does impact the enjoyment of others and should be avoided.

Marceline
06-13-2009, 02:09 AM
I don't understand why people care how other people spend their vacation time. Who cares if someone wants to talk on the phone or go online in their hotel rooms for whatever reason - work, check in with family members or just because they feel like talking on the phone? At the end of the day, it's not affecting my vacation.

For the record, I am 100% in favor of cell phone courtesy - ringers should be off during shows and rides, no texting during dark rides, etc. I think that's rude and does impact the enjoyment of others and should be avoided.

Thank you, I agree. I am not evil for wanting to stay connected to my family back home while on vacation. I would never talk on the phone in a show or ride, but I certainly will pop my bluetooth on once a day for a few minutes and call my sisters on 3 way. They love WDW too but are not able to go as often as we do. So it is a great nostalgic thrill for them to join in with me every now and then and hear the sound of the merriment on Main Street.:mickey:

I absolutely will take my phone out and snap a pic of my kiddo noshing on cotton candy in front of the castle and then sit on a bench for a minute and upload it to facebook to show family and friends what we are up to that day. It's fun! :thumbsup:

I will totally sit in the lobby of the WL and read the news online on my phone while I sip my tea in the morning. It's what I do, I have never been a newspaper reader. And it's ok...it's a wi-fi world we are in.;)

However, rude is rude and if someone is misusing a cellphone and disrespecting others, speak up and tell them so. If it is me, I give you all permission to bop me....:boxing: Otherwise, I am pretty sure what I do with my phone on vacation will not bother anyone.....but my husband. hehe:D