PDA

View Full Version : Crowd Levels With Poor Economy

Luv4WDW
03-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Has anybody noticed a decrease in crowds due to the economy? Or... has anybody heard any projections of smaller crowds due to the economy? It would be a nice surprise to have less crowded parks this summer! :cloud9:

FamilyBand1
03-30-2009, 12:16 PM
I've not seen a decrease in crowds. There are still several guests from other countries attending the parks. Every time I go to the parks, I wonder why WDW has to let people go...the parks are still crowded! My guess is that guests aren't purchasing gifts once they get into the park, but the Emporium is always packed at the end of the night.

Suz36
03-30-2009, 12:28 PM
We were there the first week of February, and I was disappointed with how crowded it was. Still managable definitely, but certainly not my dream of having the park to myself. I know, that will never happen, but a girl can dream, right?

Stu29573
03-30-2009, 12:43 PM
I have heard that attendance is actually up, due in part to the 43% off deals with the resorts...

sisterdisco
03-30-2009, 12:44 PM
google disney crowd calendar.
It will give you a site that projects crowds.
What they said was-- d/t lower crowds, Disney adjusts their staff, ride capacity etc, so that the waits are about the same.

Strmchsr
03-30-2009, 12:50 PM
All indications are that crowds are up a good bit this spring and the 4/3 deal being extended for the summer I would expect more of the same. A lot of folks who may not normally go during the summer now have a discount to entice them.

TwinniesNMeLoveWDW
03-30-2009, 01:01 PM
A lot of folks who may not normally go during the summer now have a discount to entice them.

It enticed me! I wasn't even thinking about going this year until 1 month ago when I found out the 4+3 promo was extended. Well, that's not exactly true: we thought about it a lot but didn't think we'd be able to go. Now the free dining has enticed me even more and I switched our trip to August instead.

Crowds, heat, limited funds...whatever! We're going to Disney World! :thumbsup:

Meteora
03-30-2009, 01:10 PM
I think, both fortunately and unfortunately, Disney has done a great job of navigating the recession by offering deals that people can afford and that might even lead them to choose a Disney vacation over another vacation that might not be as affordable,

gwfx1031
03-30-2009, 03:10 PM
We were there last week and noticed that the crowds were pretty strong but not out of hand. Wait times at the popular rides were high as expected. DW did notice a few things. There were not as many people purchasing the ride pcitures at the ride exits as she was normally used to seeing and we noticed more families than before bringing in small coolers and having their own lunch.

People also plan well in advance for these trips so I believe that many people saved up and planned these trips ahead of the downturn and proceded despite the economy. The deals also being offered are very enticing.

tjstrike
03-31-2009, 03:33 AM
We're used to going in the offseason so my perseption might be alittle off but I thought the parks were all very crowded last week. Especially AK, it was shoulder to shoulder both days that we went !! You won't catch me there at spring break again. :(

Kenny1113
03-31-2009, 10:10 AM
When we went in Jan we noticed crowd levels to be much lower than in the previous two years. It was superbowl weekend and was projected to be very crowded. We are taking a last minute trip next week and are expecting very large crowds.

Strmchsr
03-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Just an FYI on the crowds, WDW is adding parade showings and extending hours pretty much daily right now, which shows the crowds are being much larger than even they anticipated.

Kenny1113
03-31-2009, 11:11 AM
Yes, I saw that they extended the hours, both opening and closing, from when I first looked at hours less than a month ago. :crowd:

Meteora
03-31-2009, 11:39 AM
I think the true test of the economy's impact on crowds will probably be next year, when we've been in a recession for about a year already and people are no longer committed to plans they might have made before the economy turned. But I do think that WDW will continue to benefit from being one of the most affordable vacation options with the deals they've been offering.

Kerry823
03-31-2009, 01:24 PM
I agree with the true impact of the recession being next year. I was there last Saturday and Sunday and I felt that the crowds were very manageable especially for a weekend during a peak time. I did a marathon 4 parks in one day (Sunday) and got to do all of the attractions I wanted with the exception of Thunder Mountain Railroad which was broken down both times I tried to ride it. I even got to do Soarin' twice!

stitch34
04-01-2009, 01:58 PM
and we noticed more families than before bringing in small coolers and having their own lunch.

I didn't think coolers were allowed into the parks. I know you can bring snacks/juice boxes for kids in small amounts, but a whole lunch? I didn't think they could do this. Also where are people eating these lunches?

Figment78
04-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Crowds were definitely up last week (3/24-3/30). Especially at the Magic Kingdom and Epcot mid-day to afternoon. I was actually very surprised at how crowded the Magic Kingdom got during mid-day. They are adding shows/parades and extending hours though. MK was open til 12 twice when we were there, unscheduled. And btw, the Move It Shake It Celebrate It street party at the MK looks crazy crowded but it was actually really a lot of fun and really cool!

Polynesian Dweller
04-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Analysts have reported this week the overall crowds are actually down about 4-5% and they are projecting about a 10% decline in attendance in the remainder of the year.

Although the 4/3 has worked to keep the losses down its also causing about a 30% loss in revenue. That's not good for Disney being able to hold the qulaity up.

Given how far out people have booked Disney up till now (about 6 months) and the major economic problems really showed themselves during September 08, its just about now that we should start seeing the real downturn in room bookings and attendance. I hope the analysts are wrong but certainly things are pointing to a downturn and Orlando is reporting it all over the area.

Daisy'sMom
04-01-2009, 06:08 PM
I have always gone to the Epcot Flower and Garden Show the last weekend in March. This Saturday was by far the busiest that we ever experienced. I was disappointed that the Electric Umbrella was closed, it made lunchtime a bit difficult at the food court in The Land. I was also sad that Ellen had not opened.
I don't know if it was my imagination but the flower and garden show was a bit less this year. :confused:

Drachengeist
04-01-2009, 06:33 PM
As a retired member of the AF the deal Disney offered was just too good not to grab the family and head to Orlando. Even though a Disney vacation was only on a hazy horizon before. We are hoping that by going the week of the 25th April-1May we have avoided both the Spring breaker's and their stragglers. First time staying at Boardwalk, so we are more than excited. :mickey: We are also doing the meal plan for the first time to see how that works out. Got my fingers crossed and counting down the days.

grwoolf
04-01-2009, 10:21 PM
I didn't think coolers were allowed into the parks. I know you can bring snacks/juice boxes for kids in small amounts, but a whole lunch? I didn't think they could do this. Also where are people eating these lunches?

I believe this is allowed, we've been doing it for years. We usually pack a soft-sided cooler without ice, but loaded with sandwiches, chips, drinks (no glass), some kind of dessert, etc. and have never had an issue. We typically go for around 10 days and as much as I like WDW food choices, it is so nice to have a sack lunch some days and skip the food lines and find a nice spot to eat. Saving $ is just a nice bonus. We used to do a grocery stop to get our food, now we use garden grocer and have been very pleased. Disney resorts will accept grocery deliveries and refridgerate them if you are away at the parks when the food comes.

DawsonAR
04-02-2009, 09:11 AM
I'm shocked! According to the crowd calendar projections, it appears that crowds are way up. I would expect the opposite.

ayeckley
04-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Just got back. Crowds were pretty high between 3/23-3/30. MK morning attendance was crazy on 3/30 (despite a morning rain); as bad as we've seen on our Christmas/New Years trips. Fastpasses for TSM were effectively gone within 1 hour of park opening the whole time. We had 8-day PHs and never once rode it since we were unwilling to participate in the running of the bulls, nor to wait in Stand-By for 90+ minutes.

The upsides: weather was perfect, CM's were all good/great, didn't see a single BTG (which was a pleasant surprise), got to do a walk-down on BTMRR during evening EMH (which freaks some folks out, but we consider it a rare opportunity to go backstage w/o paying for a tour). As others have mentioned, there were suprise extensions to operating hours as well. Only real issue for us was that DD18mos was cranky for much of the trip (which is somewhat to be expected).

javamama
04-02-2009, 09:22 PM
I have a sneaky suspiscion the Disney stock may be up by the end of the year, which I hope happens! But from a few people around here IRL they've said it was crowded everytime this past year they went 2-Oct, 1-Sept, and myself last April so what does that say--I mean two different families in Oct:mickey: I want less crowds, but a better economy:thumbsup:

jaredkari
04-03-2009, 08:30 AM
I have pretty much come to the conclusion that WDW will always have crowds, no matter the time of year or economic environment. Here is my reasoning, our population is rising like crazy!!

Perhaps I am just getting older and more cranky, but it seems to me that no matter where you go anymore you will be waiting in line. I live in a small town, about 35,000, and it seems if you want to go out to eat you have to go at 2 in the afternoon or else you are going to be waiting anywhere you go?? WDW which is already a huge draw for people will only get worse and worse. Sorry to be a downer:confused:

NJGIRL
04-03-2009, 09:02 AM
I agree with the person who said that we should see the real effects of the economy on Disney in the next 6 months. People who already had their vacations planned and paid for are there now.

I would think things will start slowing down after Easter. If they don't it will make me wonder if the economy is doing as bad as the media scares us into thinking OR is the economy doing so poorly because we spend money on things that are not neccessities (instead of paying our mortgages) when we don't have it to spend.:confused:

Diz-Knee
04-03-2009, 01:40 PM

Small coolers are allowed - they have to be small enough to fit into a locker, but you don't have to put them in a locker, I think that is just the size guideline. Of course no glass is allowed.

I don't think you see many people eating sack lunches becuase I don't think many people realize that you can do this. I am sure it used to be against Disney policy but is not any longer.

I am going to pack lunches for DS for our next trip to make sure he gets something to eat since he is a picky eater. I plan on keeping it cool by freezing water bottles and that will also cut back on the amount of money we spend on bottled water in the parks.

Goes4FastPass
04-03-2009, 04:05 PM
I once took a child on Splash Mountain who was barely tall enough to ride. After we got past the height check she turned to the rest of our party and said, "Wish it won't be scary!" She didn't mean, "I wish" she meant, "Let's ALL wish" because if we all wished hard enough we could change the scariness somehow.

I'm reminded of this when I read posts like, "We're hoping the crowds at the parks that are always crowded at the time they are most crowded will all decide to stay home this year."

The parks will crowded... but lots of fun.

dumbo ears
04-03-2009, 04:07 PM
I haven't seen less crowds either but I think they are coming. the deals they are givin are very good but at some point people are just gonna have to chose to pay their bills or go to wdw.

cgriff
04-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Just got back. Crowds were pretty high between 3/23-3/30... Fastpasses for TSM were effectively gone within 1 hour of park opening the whole time... we were unwilling to participate in the running of the bulls...

Hi Ayeckley. So, you were at DHS at opening and witnessed the "running of the bulls", but chose not to participate? Or you just avoided the park altogether at opening time? I ask because I had heard that the "running of the bulls" situation was no longer routine.

...didn't see a single BTG (which was a pleasant surprise)...

Wow, the ultimate! Unfortunately I do not think that I will be so lucky during my trip later this summer. I will continue to hold out hope tho!

TheVBs
04-03-2009, 04:37 PM
I checked the abbreviations list, but couldn't find this one...

BTG?

cgriff
04-03-2009, 04:44 PM
I'll send you a Private Mail, VBs. To say it openly is probably against Intercot Terms of Service or something...

Rosemickey68
04-06-2009, 06:02 PM
As difficult as it has been getting ADR's for July...it looks like it is going to be busy when we go to WDW!!!

DryCreek
04-07-2009, 08:00 PM
I checked the abbreviations list, but couldn't find this one...

BTG?

Brazilian Tour Group.
Possibly the most annoying invention ever dreamed up to irritate irrational and cranky Southerners!
The rude, noisy, chanting teens can really wear on your temperament, even at the happiest place on earth!

"There goes a Brazilian Tour Group" "Nope, there can't be more than a hundred of 'em" Oh wait, there's more - they could be a Brazilian of 'em!
(quote from the street performers at DHS who were rudely interrupted by a group skipping and chanting right through their presentation!)

princessgirls
04-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Crowds were heavy while I was in Disney March 21-28.

I did ask one of the management people while watching The Main Street Band perform in the Magic Kingdom. He flat out said, "attendance is great, but people aren't spending the money they used too." That is the profit margin right there. The price of the ticket isn't generating a large profit. I saw my share of families eating a lunch that came out of a backpack, and if it's a choice of going and trying to cut back on costs, then I'm all for going. Yes, they are packing the people in, but are they all buying the souveniers and food?

joonyer
04-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Apparently, the current state of the U.S. economy is having no effect on the crowds this week.
just check out his thread.

http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=152889

KylesMom
04-08-2009, 03:50 PM
You know, we were having this exact same discussion last Spring for the 2008 Summer Season. While it wasn't "official" ('cause everyone was in denial), the economic downturn had been going on for awhile back then. Speculation was that we'd see a distinct slowdown after the summer season of '08, because after all, folks had booked their trips prior to when the economic downturn began.

It seems the doom and gloom news media may want us to believe that consumers are not spending any of their money, but with the crowds being seen at Disney right now . . . there's a lot of "nobodys" spending their cash!

Goes4FastPass
04-08-2009, 03:53 PM
...Although the 4/3 has worked to keep the losses down its also causing about a 30% loss in revenue. That's not good for Disney being able to hold the qulaity up...

I don't believe this for a second.

WDW wants guests to stay longer. Did you ever notice what happens to the price per day for MYW after 4 days? It goes to just a few dollars per day. The company realizes families who stay a week spend more time spending money than those who pound the parks for 4 days.

Remember those 4+3 families didn't get 'free' dining. So what are they doing for those 3 'free' days? Buying more food.

I think 4+3 was a terrific marketing idea but the Disney company didn't do it to hurt their stockholders, they did it for a fine and honorable reason, to make money.

javamama
04-08-2009, 04:26 PM
I just spoke w/our planners at the Poly she said the Parks/Resorts are down maybe 3-4% for the year. It's the other areas that are hurting DVD sales, retail, etc... The promos this year are really helping the profits stay "up" in this recession year for WDW.

Villains0501
04-10-2009, 12:26 PM
I went a few months ago and I didn't notice a difference which didn't really shock me. Most people were probably already planning a trip before the economy got really bad and just went along with the ride (no pun intended).

princessesmom
04-10-2009, 03:42 PM
We were there President's week and it was very crowded. What caught my attendtion though was that toys were on sale at the resorts and in DTD - 35% off I've never seen that before. Even mouse ears were 20% off in the WOD store in DTD, jewelry was also on sale. I was in the stoe with my 3 daughters. They each had a set amount of money to spend. I went up to the counter with each of them individually to pay for their purchases and never had to wait in line. There was always a cashier free. That is highly unusual. So it appears people are still going on vacation, but they are definitely not spending as much on the other stuff.

i'm grumpy
04-12-2009, 03:49 PM
I hope they add some more hours/shows. Rolling up the sidwalks at 7 doesn't get much accomplished. :(

AmandaChan
04-12-2009, 05:13 PM
I've not seen a decrease in crowds. There are still several guests from other countries attending the parks. Every time I go to the parks, I wonder why WDW has to let people go...the parks are still crowded! My guess is that guests aren't purchasing gifts once they get into the park, but the Emporium is always packed at the end of the night.

I always wondered this myself. Perhaps it is a combo of people not buying as much merchandise in the parks (maybe) and the budget for Disney World as a whole comes from the whole Disney business. In Ohio I can think of literally at least 3 Disney stores that they've closed :cry: because the mall economy is just not that great. Also I'm sure people are not buying as much Disney stuff at home and MAYBE they are cutting people to stay ahead of the game. I don't know but I hate it!!

Villains0501
04-12-2009, 07:32 PM
I hope they add some more hours/shows. Rolling up the sidwalks at 7 doesn't get much accomplished. :(

My sentiments completely

leighe
04-13-2009, 11:24 AM
I think maybe next year's crowds will be more impacted by the economy. Perhaps people already had a trip planned for this spring/summer but might hesitate about booking next year's.

We bought a sweatshirt for our youngest one of the cooler days last week and I was shocked that it was 50% off! The princess dresses were on sale too.