PDA

View Full Version : Scooters

Insanity Clause
03-30-2009, 11:54 AM
My BFF husband has a real bad back and walking alot makes it really painful for him to get around and seeing that we will be there for a week she thought that renting one of those motorized scooters (I think that is what they are called) would help him out alot. He has a handicap plaque and everything so this is not a case of someone that does not need some help. I was wondering if anyone knew how much they were and where you would get them from in the parks.

g8rgirl29
03-30-2009, 12:11 PM
My Mom needed one a few years back and if I remember correctly you can rent them at the front of the parks where you pick up strollers. It seems like they have a daily rate or weekly rate. Here is the intercot link to info http://intercot.com/infocentral/specialneeds/default.asp. I wish we would have rented one from an outside company though because the walk from the parks to the buses and buses to hotel room and back was a killer for her. I understand that these places will deliver them right to your hotel and pick them up on the day you leave. I am sure someone will come along who knows better. Good luck and have a great trip!!

WishingStar2006
03-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Another item to consider regarding renting one at the parks or from a private vendor...especially during busy times...all of the scooters get rented and there aren't any available. You can't reserve them in advance and last time I was there, you can't rent them for the week from Disney...just daily. If you park hop, they will sometimes call ahead to the park you are going to and ask them to "hold" one for you.

Although it's a pain for getting from location to location (loading on buses and boats, etc). if you rent one from a private scooter rental you know you have one for the duration of the trip.

JERSEYDISFAN
03-30-2009, 01:20 PM
We rent a scooter (ECV) from outside WDW. It's much more convenient to have your own scooter than to have to go through the hassle of renting one daily at the park gates. It's not that big of a hassle to use the busses, boats with it. The drivers are all well-trained and they will assist you where necessary. Plus, if you travel outside of the parks (i.e., DTD) it's much easier for the individual who has the mobility issue. Cost for a basic scooter generally runs between $25-30 per day. Google ECVs Orlando and you'll find a number of firms that rent them. Plus, they deliver it right to your resort and when you're finished with it at the end of your stay you just leave it with the outside bell desk and the vendor picks it up the next AM.

dteed
03-31-2009, 02:48 PM
We use an outside company for my DW, she has knee problems from an accident. It is much cheaper per day but we also use our SUV while there so I just put it in the back and park in the handicapp parking.

mickeefan
03-31-2009, 09:14 PM
We use an outside company and rent two of them every trip. I don't know where you are staying but sometimes the longest distance is from the resort to the bus or from the bus to the park entrance.
You also need to consider if you rent at the park when park hopping that the park you are going to may not have any left to rent.
We love having them there to use at any time.

LandFan
04-01-2009, 12:37 PM
I would definitely rent from one of the off-site places! We did that a couple of years ago when we took my DSister who has a nerve problem in her one leg. It was the first time we had to deal with a disability and the rental people made it a breeze! They dropped it off at Pop and it was at the bell desk when we arrived and we left it there at the end of the trip and they picked it up the next day. It really helped her tremendously!

I would also second the idea that the longest walks are from the bus stops to the front of the parks so renting one off-site is much nicer since you can ride them out to the buses and back to your door! My sister would have never made it if she had to walk from the room to the bus and from the bus to the entrance and back each day and we would have been INCREDIBLY frustrated if they were out of them when we got there!!

Marilyn Michetti
04-07-2009, 12:01 PM
I have a small Go Go Elite, and bring it with me on the plane. That airport is a LONG walk, and when I get off the plane it's waiting for me.

Crunch the numbers for a minute. My scooter was $800 online, and was shipped free with no tax. For those of us with chronic mobility issues, it's a good investment. You'll know your ride, and will be able to negotiate the parks and busses so much better. Three trips to Disney will pay for your ECV.:thumbsup:

ransam
04-12-2009, 02:01 AM
i highly recommend using one of the off site companies...
you can have them delivered directly to your hotel...it's just as cheap, if not cheaper than getting one at the park.
and since you can take it w/ you anywhere at the park, and downtown disney, hotels...they ar great for those that need one.
I recommend
randy's mobility...
walker Mobility.