PDA

View Full Version : Insulin

IloveJack
03-30-2009, 11:52 AM
I've got a couple of questions for insulin users...

We're driving down in October, and I plan to be at the resort in the morning before the parks open. That way, we can check in and head to the parks, then return later to actually go to the room. I've heard that the resort will store insulin for you until the room actually opens up; is that true? I use the pens (unless I get a pump before then), so I'm not too worried about them being at room temp., but in the car isn't an option.

Also, how much is an in-room fridge? Is it free in the value resorts, like at the moderates? What if it's for medicine?

And one last one... have any of you had any trouble getting into the parks with your diabetic supplies (pens, needles, meter, ect.)?

Thanks!

sassafras
03-30-2009, 12:14 PM
The resort will store your insulin for you until your room is ready for check in. You just need to make a point to tell them you have insulin that needs refrigerated and ask them to store it for you. I did this at CBR last year and had no problem. The moderates have dorm-size fridges, but think the values charge $10/day. You could call and ask. Explain why, not sure if meds would qualify you for a free one or not. As for your question about getting into the parks with supplies, I'm not sure. I usually try to take my pre-dinner shot before I leave the room in the late afternoon. However, this time (in May) some of our ADRs are late enough, I'm going to have to take the insulin pen and needles with me. I have been told by guest services that I can refrigerate my pen at the first aid station each park has.

Strmchsr
03-30-2009, 12:19 PM
My DS8 is a type-1 diabetic, so we go through this every trip and they are very helpful.

Yes, they will store your insulin for you if your room is not ready. You take the medication to the same place where they store the luggage. Just tell them it's your insulin and needs to be refrigerated and they'll take care of it with no problems.

You can get a mini-fridge for medical needs at no cost, even at a value. Now, this is usually one of the little cube fridges and not the "dorm" size ones that you can rent for $10/day and that come with the room at the moderates. However, it's more than adequate for storing insulin. Sometimes you'll get a "full" size fridge, but don't count on it. If you want to store drinks, etc you might just rent one if the mini one isn't adequate.

Never had any trouble at all with diabetic supplies going into the parks. I do have some resources for keeping supplies cool while at the parks. PM me if you need that info.

Mackflava99
03-30-2009, 12:30 PM
The resort will store them, no worries there.

I use novalog pen, so i understand your concern.
I also have this nifty small collapsable cooler that i use when i travel, it keeps everything cool, i put an ice pack in for the flight and it stays fine for about 6 hours.

It also fits in my backpack so going tot he parks works out fine.

As for the needles and pen getting into the park, i have never, ever had an issue-

And i have been to WDW 5 times since i was diagnosed. So don't worry, they are very understanding

IloveJack
03-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Thank you all! We camp a lot, so I'm used to ice packs, etc. But this is my first time being away from all my stuff without a room for an extended period of time since being diagnosed.

meldan98
03-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Susan - When we went in Dec. 07 my dad got a mini-fridge for free. Also, double check with your pharmacist about the refridgeration requirements. My dad also uses the pen and was told that his unopened bottles of insulin didn't need to be refridgerated. He never had any problems getting into the parks with his pen or even when he was on shots in '98.

disneydeb
04-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Just note it on your reservation if you are staying in a value resort and you will provided a fridge free of charge. I have been twice since necessitating the use of refridgerated insulin and it is never a problem.. If you need to store insulin in the park in a refridgertor inquire at guest services.

Have a great trip!

thumperbug
04-04-2009, 12:19 PM
I've used both the pens and now a pump. All insulin whether pens or vials are fine out of the fridge for up to 30 days. When I travel I take the pens etc out of my fridge at home, keep them with me in my travels and keep them in the room at room temp. If you plan to keep them on you and the weather is going to be warm then you need to keep them in a cooler. However, if the insulin was previously in the fridge and then taken out and brought to room temp, do NOT re-reidge them. In other words, if you plan to keep them in a cooler at the park, keep them chilled from the get go.

Yes, the resorts have a fridge at Bell services for just this reason.

Have a great trip!