PDA

View Full Version : WDW feeling the economy pinch?

castlelady36
03-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Hey everyone

Yesterday I called WDW reservations to request a building # for my resort and the rep was very friendly and we got to talking and she told me that attendance is way down this year from last year and that disney just layed off several resort employees. This could be the reason for the complaints from others regarding how the rooms are. Odd though as some trip reports are saying how busy it is....we are going in June so it is normally kind of busy for the summer season. I wonder if we will really notice the drop off.... :)

murphy1
03-30-2009, 01:36 PM
I think the effects are going to be seen more. Some of those trips were booked before the economy got really bad last Fall and were paid for. I think for people like me who are close enough, it's still a pretty good deal to go (no airfare, less days, or have APs). We are taking advantage of the free bday offer this year. And Florida is so hard hit, not just Disney Company, but every industry, it's much like California.

Polynesian Dweller
03-30-2009, 08:41 PM
From the limited figures that are coming out, Disney is definitely hurting as all industries are. The 4/3 promotion seems to be keeping number up somewhat but at the same time that represents a loss of revenue, up to 42%. There are also some indications that sales of merchandise are likely down. The numbers are limited since Disney holds these closely but most analysts are seeing the weakness.