PDA

View Full Version : Stitches

brer frog
03-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Over this weekend, I got six stitches in the palm of my hand. This is the first time I've had stitches in my life, and I am leaving for Disney on Thursday. does anyone have any tips / suggestions on how to make the most of my vacation, with limited use of one hand?? It's still real sore to move my thumb and with the skin I lost, the area is too large for any band aid I've been able to find.

thanks

daparish
03-30-2009, 06:03 PM
I would be sure to keep it covered (even if it means wrapping your entire hand) to avoid getting any type of infection. I like holding on for dear life when I ride the rollercoasters so that may be a little uncomfortable for me but DH would have no problem because he raises his hands from start to finish. Best of luck and have a great trip.

TheVBs
03-30-2009, 10:13 PM
OUCH! Sorry. :(

If you got a roll of gauze do you think you'd be able to wrap it?

brer frog
03-31-2009, 07:55 AM
thanks for your kind thoughts. It was OUCH.

I'm hoping so at this point. Last I had it unwrapped the laceration from where I skinned my palm is too big to fit under any band - aid I have found. so I'm hoping that it heals quickly, so that come Thursday I can be down to a band - aid.

It's going to be interesting to go on rides where I hold on......

brer frog
04-01-2009, 09:37 AM
new question same topic...

Is there a place in Disney that I can visit to have my stitches removed?

TheVBs
04-02-2009, 09:48 PM
There is a hospital there. Celebration hospital I think? I'm sure Disney staff could direct you there.

Marilyn Michetti
04-30-2009, 11:54 AM
How about an "art glove"? You can buy them at most drugstores. It's a glove that fits over your wrist and palm, but with no fingers. You can get them flesh colored, and they feel great. There's compression around the wrist, so they won't move. They're light nylon and "breathe":thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wear this over your bandage for comfort, and it will help keep the area clean.

bwk99
04-30-2009, 05:28 PM
keep pressure off the area - don't death grip a handle bar.. hang on with one hand if you need.

keep is wrapped while in the parks, so its not in open air and you don't accidently scrape it on something, or somebody doesn't bump into it.. but, at the hotel where you are by yourself, you can unwrap it to help it breathe..

clean the area as often as possible. disney is still a theme park with thousands of people, with who knows what type of illness.. you don't want the area infected.

teambricker04
05-01-2009, 12:54 AM
OUCH!
If you have to keep it wrapped to go swimming... you could use glad press'n'seal. It really works! Also, I have some of the gloves that Marilyn mentions. I think I got mine from just a regular drug store. It helps protect the areas of the hand pretty well from the elements without being totally overwhelming and hot.

Good luck!

peemagg
05-01-2009, 02:17 PM
An idea I had was to get one of those cast protectors for arms to keep it dry when swimming. There are even ones out there meant for swimming. You could get these at a local medical supply store.

mrsgaribaldi
05-03-2009, 01:15 AM
This caught my eye because I got some stitches in my hand on Monday and we leave this Tues. I know your trip is over already. I hope you had a good time. :wave:

ElenitaB
05-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Ouch, Stephanie!

Here's some :pixie: that you have a great trip in spite of the stitches!

mrsgaribaldi
05-05-2009, 03:48 AM
Ouch, Stephanie!

Here's some :pixie: that you have a great trip in spite of the stitches!

Thanks Ellen :wave:
They took them out yesterday and I just have steri strips now so I'm good to go!

dmosher
05-05-2009, 06:58 AM
If you go to a decent Pharmacy, they have waterproof bandages (get really good ones) which you can usually buy in singles. If not ask your doctor. These go on and DO NOT come off easily!
This is the best bet. I have used them many times and it worked out well for me. Remember not to use your hand though. Stitches on hands tend to tear quite easily (again... trust me I know), especially on the palm. IN the end, keep it immobile if you can or at least out of harms way. Do not grab or grip ANY bars as you WILL tear them and they WILL bleed. If your doing a water ride (i.e. Splash Mountain), throw on a plastic or latex glove. No one will question or probably even notice and it WILL save you heaps of trouble down the road.
ANother thing to be aware of is sweat. I am not sure how fresh the cut is, but try to keep your hands dry. That FL sun is unforgiving and if your hand sweats, it will sting. Just a side note.

Oh and frogmn78, if you know your stitches are due to come out, either keep them in or get them out a little earlier. I will be honest, I tend to take my own out, but I have also had trining in putting them in, so... not recommended for those with weak constitutions and or no training.
:pipes:
D
D

g8rgirl29
05-05-2009, 11:32 AM
I would call your MD office and speak to the nurses there. They may be able to give you a disposable suture removal kit and instuct you on how to remove and what to look for.