PDA

View Full Version : Loud Rides

scrapbookmom5174
03-29-2009, 10:55 PM
DD(7) is terrified of loud noises. Since this is our very first trip to WDW ever (I've been to Disneyland before), I was wondering what rides, shows, parades should I be aware of? I started watching some of the rides on YouTube to get an idea of things, but I know you veterans would have a better idea. I thought I might show her some of the rides on YouTube so she has a better idea of what to expect and won't freak out when a loud bang comes.

Any ideas would be so helpful. She has always been terrified of loud sirens, balloons popping, fireworks, etc....

Thanks

beksy
03-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Obviously Sounds Dangerous probably wouldn't be a good idea. Dinosaur in AK is loud too from what I've heard. I don't know about POTC. It doesn't really seem loud to me but it does have cannons going off. Wishes, Illuminations, and Fantasmic would probably bother her. I'm not sure how loud Ellen is at Epcot. Some of the shows at DHS might be too loud too, like Indiana Jones and Light, Motor, Action. One thing I read recently was from a parent that had a child who was bothered with loud noises. They used the earmuffs that go behind her neck so she can still enjoy the rides but with the noises muffled. Earplugs might be an idea too. Hope this helps!

Imagineer1981
03-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Star Tours is loud as well.

DisneyGlutton
03-29-2009, 11:55 PM
I would agree with what was said above, except that PotC (the cannons are very muffled) and Ellen's (can't think what would be loud) should be okay.

Stitch's Great Escape is another loud one, too.

*Liz*
03-29-2009, 11:56 PM
Avoid Dinosaur at all costs! I'm 24 and hate loud noises and even I have to ride this ride with my eyes closed with my head down. ;)

the other micki
03-30-2009, 12:48 AM
I remember Rocknrollercoaster being pretty loud (but woo hoo, it was fun!)

Here we go again...
03-30-2009, 03:27 AM
Backlot Tour Water Canons. You can always walk right through and bypass the show.

Lights Motor Action can get loud.

RNRC has the very loud music.

The ghosts that pop up on HM no longer scream so I think that would be okay....

I would stay away from all of the fireworks though. Or, try the ear muff or plugs. You might start by watching Wishes on the beach at the Poly with ear plugs. If it works you can try a park. If not, go inside and get awat from the noise.

CanadianWDWFan
03-30-2009, 08:07 AM
My DS5 is autistic and has a strong adversion to any load noises. Even the noise of an open window in the car can set him off. But for some reason Disney attractions really don't bother him. :shrug:

He has been on nearly every ride that can be considered loud and the only attraction that bothered him were the poppping heads at the HM. Now that they don't jump up as fast or as loud anymore there isn't a problem with this attraction.

With my son, it seems that if he is concentrating on something else the noises really don't get to him as much.

Earplugs might be a good idea. We have never used them but I have seen other kids with them.

disneyfan328
03-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Earplugs, Earplugs, Earplugs!!! Need I say more??

All kidding aside, my ds 7 also hates loud noises - even though he loves firetrucks he still can't stand how loud they are. He loves to watch fireworks, but only from inside the van with the radio on to drown out the noise. He sort of had an issue with Fantasmic when we went in 2007 and a wonderful cast member came along and offered us a pair of those foam kind that you squeeze and then put in the ear and then they puff back up to stay in place - well this did it for him! he sat through the rest with no issues and now anytime we are headed to a parade or to see fireworks or the monster truck races we always make sure to have them with us. I will say this though - I found a few pairs that have a very small rubber type string that connects them - These ones are the BEST that way if one of them pops out it doesn't hit the dirty ground!!! I believe we found them at wal mart in the sporting goods section and they were very inexpesive. I always have a few spare pairs with me!!!

animalkingdomguy
03-30-2009, 08:16 AM
The queue for test track is loud and annoying. Given the slow pace of the line, you are subjected to numberous loud car crashes and the music with its monotonous thump-thump-thump cadence bouncing off all the hard surfaces of the ride building is quite a bit to handle.

j&j
03-30-2009, 08:31 AM
what a shame so many noises, of course miss the fireworks shows. no pirates they shoot guns. small world would be good ride music is a pain but still quiet. the ride in mexico the fireworks there is also not loud.:mickey::mickey:

MickeyMousse
03-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Star Tours is loud as is the line at Test Track, IMHO.
Rides aside, we also found the TRex restaurant in DTD to be extremely loud!!:director:

DANAM
03-30-2009, 10:28 AM
My DD7 is very sensitive to load noises and we have not had any issues with her at WDW. Here first trip was when she was 4 and we have went every year since then. She will occationally hold her ears but for things that are not nearly as load as others. I even asked the doctor what that was about. And he said that with children that are sensitive to noises it's the pitch not the actual noise it makes. For instance the fireworks she will hold her ears the entire time, she watches and enjoys them but will just hold her ears. But we rode Dino and where in the front row and the Dino at the end jumped right out at her and she was fine.

Ear plugs are a great alternative but we haven't used them.

DisneyFr33k
03-30-2009, 11:21 AM
I always caution parents with sensitive children about It's Tough to be a Bug in Animal Kingdom. My DD(11) has been to disney 4 times since she was 6 and still cannot make it all the way through (she ends up on the floor covering her ears). Funny as she is a HUGE thrill ride kid!! Go figure!

Meteora
03-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Hi there!
I sympathize with your daughter--I have always hated loud noises. The ones I really hate are loud, unexpected noises. Some general/specific tips:
-for fireworks/parades that might be loud, I echo others in suggesting earplugs or cotton balls. I usually pick up a few earplugs from CVS before my trip, and just pop them in before fireworks start. All of the pretty, very little of the noise. These are also handy for shows where the volume might be turned up a bit too loud.
-I have never minded Test Track
-For POTC, maybe just warn her that there will be a few cannon shots, and tell her when you get to the area where they usually are. Remind her it will be over quickly, and there are no more for the rest of the ride.
-Fantasmic can be quite loud, so I would bring earplugs for that as well. There is one particularly loud noise, and I have memorized where it is so I am ready for it and can cover my ears. PM me if you want details, as I don't want to give "show spoilers" on the board, just in case.
-Avoid Sounds Dangerous. Trust me, you won't be missing anything.
-I also skip Dinosaur! and ITTBAB in AK.

It's pretty easy to navigate, and most of the things in WDW are totally worth it despite the noise. I'm sure you guys will have a great time.

g8rgirl29
03-30-2009, 12:06 PM
I would definitely pick up a few pairs of ear plugs as others have suggested. I would search for the ones with the cord attaching them(if you can't find them at walmart check your hardware stores). I would get a couple pair in advance and see which are most comfortable for her, then buy a few extras to bring along. You might even consider getting a lanyard and tying the cord to that so they don't just slide off of her neck. Good luck and have a great trip.

scrapbookmom5174
03-30-2009, 11:27 PM
I will definitely get her a pair of ear plugs. I know if she knows what to expect, she will be okay, it is just the "unexpected" bangs that really bother her.

Thanks for all of the advice....

Clea

TheVBs
03-31-2009, 08:16 AM
My kids aren't particularly sensitive to loud noises, but I thought some of the rides were so loud I'm considering bringing earplugs this time. Even the Nemo ride into The Seas was loud! Or, maybe I'm just the one who needs earplugs. :blush:

Jeff
03-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Big Thunder Mt. Railroad "The Loudest Ride in the Wilderness" "Hang on to them hats and plug your ears."

DreamFinder2
03-31-2009, 08:13 PM
I would agree with what was said above, except that PotC (the cannons are very muffled) and Ellen's (can't think what would be loud) should be okay.

I disagree about Ellen's in Epcot...the "big bang" scene is one of (if not THE) loudest sounds at WDW.

SBETigg
03-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Journey Into Your Imagination bothered my daughter. It isn't loud all the way through, but there is a scene with loud noises.

Raye3201
03-31-2009, 08:48 PM
Absolutely avoid Dinosaur at all costs - it is very very loud and absolutely terrified my DS (6). I would also avoid Its Tough to Be a Bug...it is loud and dark, a combination that can set off some children. When I had to leave with my DD (5) there were many other parents doing the same.
Mission space is loud and I'd recommending avoiding that one also.
I bet Soarin' would be good though...it is not too loud and it's a great ride.

Granny Jill A
04-01-2009, 05:24 PM
I was amazed at how LOUD Mickey's Philharmagic is. I have to wear earplugs for that and several other attractions so I can enjoy myself.

I guess we should all invest in hearing aid stock, because we're all going to be deaf :D

disneyworld55925592
04-01-2009, 05:44 PM
the new toy story mania in dhs is a game where you are sometimes breaking plates and popoping balloons it can get loud

joonyer
04-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Big Thunder Mt. Railroad "The Loudest Ride in the Wilderness" "Hang on to them hats and plug your ears."

:ditto::exactly:

BTMRR is the first ride I thought of when I read the OP. I find that the ratcheting/clanking/steam noises on that ride are very loud when going up the long tunnel inside the mountain near the beginning of the ride. I usually cover my ears with my hands during that part.

zebradome17
04-02-2009, 01:47 PM
I love Soarin' but watch out for the last big firework because it is quite loud and combined with the jerk of the seats it almsot seems to be even louder than it is.

Venus0880
04-03-2009, 10:10 AM
I was also terrified of loud sounds when I visited as a child. I was so scared of Snow White and had my head in my dad's shirt the entire time.:blush:

ojeilatan
04-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Glad to meet another DL-er who's a bit unfamiliar with WDW - our second trip is this June!

Quite a few Magic Kingdom rides you compare to DL's, and how she's fared on them (i.e. pirates, haunted mansion, and soarin and Tower of terror in cali adventure) In my opinion, Disney in general is quite loud. If it's loud, sudden noises that are the issue though, it narrows down the field of 'can't do attractions'. Some mental prepartion before hand may help, as will the earplugs, as mentioned numerous times. :) And, maybe you'll luck out and she will be so wrapped up it won't bother her!

Have a great trip; WDW can be mind boggling at times but it's worth every single second! :mickey:

GoofyMom09
04-06-2009, 02:31 PM
I agree that you might want to skip It's Tough to Be a Bug in AK. It seems like it would be a kiddie show, but it is very intense in parts with lots of surprises! It scared my Mother in Law to pieces:D Also, Dinosaur would be really loud and scary.