PDA

View Full Version : California Grill vs. Narcosse's

Georgesgirl1
03-28-2009, 07:41 PM
I few weeks ago I asked for advice about a date night at WDW when we go this summer. Someone had mentioned that they loved Narcosse's and after looking at the menu DH and I are trying to decide between California Grill and Narcosse's.

Which one is more romantic, has better food, better ambience, etc? I know California Grill pipes in the music for Wishes, but what about Narcosse's? We are about 2 weeks away from our 90 day ADR window, so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

SBETigg
03-28-2009, 08:14 PM
You'll find differing opinions, probably equally divided between which is best. The good news is that you can't go wrong. Both are excellent choices. Both lower the lights and pipe in music during Wishes. Both have viewing areas in case the view from your table isn't so great. An unfortunate fact of Narcoossee's is that half of their viewing area actually blocks the table views for some patrons. Also, the tree line blocks the lower-lying fireworks at Narcoossee's.

I love the food and service at both. I love California Grill slightly more. The views-- not just of fireworks but of the Seven Seas Lagoon, Electric Water Pageant, Bay Lake, MK, Epcot in the distance-- are simply breathtaking. They're both very romantic. The atmosphere in Narcoossee's is more intimate, but the views at California Grill just make me feel more swept away.

DreamFinder2
03-28-2009, 08:34 PM
Tigg said it pretty well...

My DW and I love both CG and Narcoossee's, but for the "wow" and romantic factor I'd have to go with Cali Grill. Watching Wishes out on the 15th floor observation deck with your arm around your sweetie-pie is definitely a great way to end your day.

Enjoy!

mickey&missy
03-28-2009, 09:09 PM
DH and I dined at both this past week!

We didn't see the firworks from Narcossees, we had a 6 pm reservation and went to MK after. The meal was definitely one of the best meals we've ever had! We both had crabcakes and lobster, I had strawberry shortcake for desert and DH had cheesecake (I believe crusted with almonds) It was all outstanding!

We did see Wishes from Cali Grill! We had a window seat and didn't have to move an inch! It was sooooo beautiful!!! The WOW factor is huge! The at Cali Grill was also wonderful! Although I would say not as good as Narcossees. We both had Hearts of Romaine as a starter, DH had Stripped Bass and I had Filet of Beef and both had the chocolate cake. Everything was great BUT the anchoive on the salad left a bit of powerful taste on it even though there was only 1 fish, DH said the Stripped Bass wasn't fresh but said it was very good, we both thought the cake was a little too rich. But all in all it was an outstanding meal!

For the wow factor I would say Cali Grill, for the food Narcossees. Either way you will have a wonderful meal with impecciable service and have a wonderful night!!!

Good luck! Enjoy!

disneymajik
03-28-2009, 09:15 PM
These two resturaunts are the class of WDW. In my opinion thought Cali Grill takes it home. Outstanding location, service, food, wine, and atmosphere. Narcossees is also excellent but just a notch behind.

DisneyGlutton
03-28-2009, 10:06 PM
I love the food and service at both. I love California Grill slightly more. The views-- not just of fireworks but of the Seven Seas Lagoon, Electric Water Pageant, Bay Lake, MK, Epcot in the distance-- are simply breathtaking. They're both very romantic. The atmosphere in Narcoossee's is more intimate, but the views at California Grill just make me feel more swept away.

Nothing to add to that superb analysis. CG would get my vote, but you can't go wrong. The viewing deck there is on the top floor, so it provides a much nicer view than at ground level. Plus I would give the food a very slight edge.

Maleficent's Dad
03-29-2009, 08:27 AM
The good news is that you can't go wrong. Both are excellent choices.
Well said! :thumbsup:

For what it's worth, last week I cancelled my Cali Grill ressies in favor of Narcoossee's. That place is definitely one of my faves!!! :tasty:

dtootsie42
03-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Narcoossee's would get my vote. Hubby and I have a special dinner there every time we visit Disney World. We love the atmosphere and the intimacy not to mention the terrific food and service. We have been there when the fireworks went off and yes they did pipe in the music.

I know many people love the Cali Grill. We went twice to CG and after our second time there have never gone back. We thought the food was ok however our second time there we had the worse service we have ever gotten at any Disney restaurant.

Despite our poor experience at CG I do believe you will have a terrific time at either place.

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
Dec. 1999--Poly
June 2000--Disneyland
Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
Oct. 2008--DisneyLand
Next trip Dec. 2009--Poly Concierge

KAT1811
03-29-2009, 05:48 PM
I love California Grill slightly more. The views-- not just of fireworks but of the Seven Seas Lagoon, Electric Water Pageant, Bay Lake, MK, Epcot in the distance-- are simply breathtaking. They're both very romantic. The atmosphere in Narcoossee's is more intimate, but the views at California Grill just make me feel more swept away.

:ditto: Well said. I too would go for the CG.

thejens
03-30-2009, 12:04 AM
My all time favorite restaurant at WDW is California Grill and I've eaten at lots of the 2T choices. There is something so special about taking the special trip from the 2nd floor to the top. Where else can you get grilled foie gras? (I know not for everyone.) it is just more romantic for me. But Narcooses is also awesome!!!