PDA

View Full Version : Yamabuki Closing Doors Permanently!

NotaGeek
03-27-2009, 02:45 PM
I just got a call from Disney Dining to ask me if I would like to reschedule my Priority Seating Reservation at Yamabuki for 4/12/2009 as the restaurant will be ceasing operations as of the end of service on Saturday 4/11/2009! I did ask if this was forever, and the CM said, "Yes, as of now the location will be empty!"

CURSES! This is one of my favorite places to dine at DLR ... so sad! Of course me and 3 friends will be dining at Yamabuki on its last day, saying goodbye to a great restaurant! :(

I haven't found a press release from Disney yet, but odds are it's coming.

Mufasa
03-27-2009, 03:56 PM
There was mention of the closing on the OC Register's website:

Disney officials announced Thursday afternoon that Yamabuki restaurant, inside the Paradise Pier Hotel will close down April 11.

Some 39 hourly employees who work at the restaurant were informed of the pending closure during a closed-door meeting around 4 p.m. Thursday.

Disney spokeswoman Suzi Brown said the company will work to relocate the employees to other park restaurants. Those who cannot be placed elsewhere will receive at least 60 days pay as severance and an extension of some health care benefits.

A “handful” of salaried managers could either be relocated or lose their jobs, as well, Brown said.

“The concept of the restaurant no longer resonates with our guests,” Brown said. The closure was not related to other layoffs and staff re-organizations related to the sagging economy, she added.

“We continuously evaluate all of our concepts and listen to what our guests are telling us,” Brown said. ”We’ve scaled back the hours at this restaurant since the beginning of the year. Other restaurants at the Resort are doing quite well.”

The upscale restaurant at 1717 S. Disneyland Dr., originally opened in 1996 with a lunch and dinner menu. Meals averaged $20 to $30 per diner. The restaurant shortened its hours and discontinued its lunch menu within the last year.

Restaurant hours will remain as normal until the April 11 closure.

NotaGeek
03-27-2009, 04:29 PM
So much for that 4 Star Award they just won.

Thanks for that final nail in the coffin Mufasa! :mickey:

Melanie
03-27-2009, 04:58 PM
:down:

:mad:

tinkwest
03-28-2009, 10:29 AM
So sad. One of our favorites. Our family has enjoyed many wonderful meals at this fine restaurant.

I hope the space does not remain empty for too long. Too bad for the PPH.

:sadwave:

MegaDisney
04-08-2009, 07:18 PM
This is sad...

Only got to eat there once but it was fantastic.

No more Yack-A-Pukey as Scott used to call it!

EPCOT84
04-19-2009, 03:04 PM
There was mention of the closing on the OC Register's website:

“The concept of the restaurant no longer resonates with our guests,” Brown said. The closure was not related to other layoffs and staff re-organizations related to the sagging economy, she added.

“We continuously evaluate all of our concepts and listen to what our guests are telling us,” Brown said. ”We’ve scaled back the hours at this restaurant since the beginning of the year. Other restaurants at the Resort are doing quite well.”

The upscale restaurant at 1717 S. Disneyland Dr., originally opened in 1996 with a lunch and dinner menu. Meals averaged $20 to $30 per diner. The restaurant shortened its hours and discontinued its lunch menu within the last year.

The OC article may give a hint. Not having dined there, I was wondering what didn't work. The atmosphere? restaurant design? no interest in Japanese cuisine? From what the posters here are saying the food was good. Is it possible what did not 'resonate' with PP guest was it was too 'upscale' for PP?

Marceline
04-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Oh no, this is really upsetting. I was hoping to stop in for a sushi roll or two. Is there any other place on DLR property to get a decent sushi roll or was this it?