PDA

View Full Version : Toy Story Mania Question

Luv4WDW
03-26-2009, 10:21 AM
I have never been on Toy Story Mania, but it sounds a lot like Buzz Lightyear. Is there a big difference? I guess I'm not sure what all the hype is about. I like Buzz Lightyear, but the stories of people making a mad dash for Toy Story Mania have made me curious about what it's really like. I'll have my first chance to go on it in June :mickey:

DANAM
03-26-2009, 10:32 AM
I really don't think it is anything like buzz lightyear. You do shoot at target but in a completly different way.
The ride cars are set up back to back with 2 people on either side. You can't really see the people on the other side of you. You take off in a crazy spin to the first shooting range. It is a 3D shooting experience. You wip around from screen to screen shooting at all the different targets. At the end you are scored individually on your shooting ability.
This ride is more exciting for adults and is way faster than buzz. Much more exciting for everyone.
We went one of the first weekend for a soft openning. We got stuck for about 30 min and I had a panic attack. When I got off I swore I would never go on again. After the panic of it all wore off I realized this is one of the best rides in Disney. I am not a rollercoaster kind of girl. This ride was definately worth the wait and probally the best "family ride" in Disney. It will live up to all of the hype!!!!

disneymom15
03-26-2009, 10:59 AM
We absolutely love TSM. It's our new favorite ride. I've only done Buzz once and to be honest, I didn't know what to do. Can't wait for our Aug/Sept trip so we can ride TSM again.

bob6572
03-26-2009, 10:59 AM
I think all the Buzz (no pun intended) is because it is new. It's more like an old fashioned carnival game than Space Ranger Spin which is more like a kiddie space mission. The 3D effect adds to it. And the shooting mechanism is much different. We got lucky with fast passes and only waiting about 5-10 minutes. There is no way I would wait over an hour for this ride.

CleveRocks
03-26-2009, 06:59 PM
TSM is much cooler than Buzz.

Buzz is great, I'm not complaining. Buzz has actual physical targets, some closer to you than others, some moving, some static. You are shooting a beam of light (by pulling a trigger) to hit targets, and you are moving while this is going on.

TSM is completely different.

You wear 3-D glasses, the same type you wear in Mickey's PhilharMagic and MuppetVision 3-D anf Honey I Shrunk the Audience. Your ride vehicle moves until you get to a H-U-G-E and very high-tech video screen. The ride vehicle stops. You are given brief and entertaining instructions on what you are shooting at. ANd then the shooting begins. You shoot not by pulling a trigger, but by pulling back on a string with some sort of stopper at the end. The projectiles you are shooting come to life on the video screen as animation ... you are not shooting any actual projectile, and not even an actual beam of light like on Buzz. You are making movements with the weapon, and electronic impulses create images on the video screen. You are shooting at various objects, a different scenario each time you move to a different screen. In one room you might be breaking plates, in another popping balloons, and so on. ANd this is always done with some sort of background animation that gives context (and fun!) to the situation.

It's just a much cooler experience than Buzz. Not at all the same.

dumbo ears
03-26-2009, 08:40 PM
The only thing that buzz lightyear and Toy story mania have in common is the toy story aspect. Buzz lightyear is just a basic point and shoot game but Toy Story Mania is a 4d shooting ride that spins and is just awesome. Its definitely worth the hype and is now one of my favorite rides

jrkcr
03-26-2009, 11:12 PM
There must be some hand-eye coordination difference in those two rides, cause I am terrible at Buzz, but pretty good at TSM.
Our last DL trip, we got through the TSM line with about 5-10 min wait both times! (just luck) I assume the newness will wear off and the lines will become more manageable.

CleveRocks
03-27-2009, 07:54 AM
There must be some hand-eye coordination difference in those two rides, cause I am terrible at Buzz, but pretty good at TSM.
Eye-hand coordination should be easier with TSM, because the feedback is better. In Buzz, it's tough to see exactly where that tiny little point of red light hits, and you may be seeing someone else's shot rather than your own. But in TSM, your shots are plainly visible, and you know for sure they're yours.

homeschool mom
03-28-2009, 06:31 AM
Nothing like Buzz Lightyear except for the same characters! You must try it! It is amazing! :thumbsup: DH are going on a trip without our kiddos next month, and I know we'll be heading to Toy Story Mania first think in DHS to get our FPs!

JenniferS.
03-28-2009, 07:55 AM
TSM is WAY better than Buzz. It is so fun. Luckily, we went to Disney last Sept and we were able to get in line w/ a 30 min wait, plus we got FP to go again later in the day. This time we are going in May and have no idea about how busy it will be compared to Sept, when its dead.

PlutoToo
03-28-2009, 09:40 AM
I rode it last time I was there. I didn't expect to like it.....I'm not into video games and my coordination is nil, but.....I really did enjoy it and if I can find it again without such a long wait I'll ride again.