PDA

View Full Version : Turn off the lights (and other ways the kids help us save money for WDW trips)

Minniefan68
03-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Our children are 8,5,5,and 2. The 'big three' as we call them, are old enough to be taught the value of money. We have taken them to WDW the past three years and have had the good fortune to fly, stay at the vacation club villas and not worry about the cost of food or souveniers. This year for us and for so many others, is a different one due to the economy. My children don't understand the price tag of a vacation, but they do understand that their father works long hours in NYC to make money.

I told my children: Daddy works hard to pay bills like electric, water, cable TV, food etc....but if we save money and pay LESS for those bills, we can go to Disney again this year.

Some very simple rules to follow: if you leave the room shut the light off; read a book or play outside instead of watching TV; hang up your clothes and wear them again if they are still clean; eat the leftovers even though they may not taste that great; don't ask for McDonalds or Dunkin' Donuts or Friday's, we can eat at home for less; borrow movies from the library instead of renting from Blockbuster.

So far, so good...my children really want to go to Disney again this fall and they are trying their best to help our family save money and they are learning a valuable lesson as well. :mickey:

disneymom15
03-25-2009, 04:42 PM
:thumbsup:Good for you. I need to take your advise.

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-25-2009, 06:00 PM
We're doing the same thing, we've revamped our eating habits - eating out is now a treat, not a habit. (and it was hard habit to break) :pizza:

The $$ we've saved is helping to pay for our Disney trip (plus, it tastes better and is better for us).

We've also been any loose cash in a jar...we're up over $300 for spending money, it will help! :balloon:

Bethis26fan
03-25-2009, 06:12 PM
We've also been any loose cash in a jar...we're up over $300 for spending money, it will help! :balloon:

My roommate and I have the same kind of thing but we budget $100.00 every 2 weeks for grocerices what ever is left goes in "the cow" a cookie jar we have for or trip.