PDA

View Full Version : A new puppy?

Mickey91
03-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Okay, I have been sulking for what I cannot believe has been nearly two weeks since my puppy died at 17 1/2 years old. I still have bad days but things are getting a little better. I fell apart Sunday when I got into the trunk of the car and saw the disney dog figure on my back windshield. Pathetic I know but hey, she was my first baby!!

Anyhow, I have been seriously considering a new puppy. I really need to have a dog in or around the house. I have always had a dog since I can remember. Do you guys have any advice of what type of dog we should get? We want something about mid size and not over 50 lbs. Puppy was a Collie/Chow mix that I got at the pound. I have considered getting a puppy from the pound again but my neighbors have gotten three puppies in the last 8 months from this pound and another one nearby and they all have died from parvo. Not sure I want to take that chance. We had considered an Australian sheepdog but have been told they are very aggressive and too protective when others come to the house. We need a puppy that will be somewhat protective but not bite friends and family when they visit or when they come to feed him/her when we are at Disney World. So, what do my intercot pals think?

Tinkerfreak
03-25-2009, 09:10 AM
I think you need to decide if you want a high energy dog, a couch potato or in between. The Australian Shepard's are really active and you need to keep them doing something all the time or they do get bored. My friend has two and they literally herd he kids back into the yard if they try to leave. They are also kind of aggressive.
I love English Springer Spaniels but some can be hyper you just can't tell. DH and I have each had one growing up and then when we got married that was what we got each other for a wedding gift our little spaniel Misti. She was a bit hyper in her early years but was very intelligent, loyal and protective of our two DD's. She actually went up agains a Rotty and fought her off when she came in my yard after my girls. She was really well behaved, clean and in my opinion a beautiful dog. I have never know a Springer Spaniel with an aggressive streak unless you are threatening their humans.
If you wanted a bigger family type dog I would have said a golden retriever. They are just sweet, wonderful dogs and just happy to be part of the family.

Buddy08
03-25-2009, 09:14 AM
I lost my beloved dog at 12 1/2 just before Christmas. We were all heart broken but my husband kept pushing to get another dog so 6 weeks after Buddy died we went to a dog adoption show and got a shepherd mix. He is a sweetheart. He doesn't take Buddy's place but did help me with the grief process. Why not try something like that. You can look online. All these dogs are in foster homes and my dog was partially trained. You can always take him to dog obedience training. Good luck:dog:

conwayjohn71
03-25-2009, 09:32 AM
Sorry about the lose..............

but I am like you I have to have a dog around the house, and everyone is going to jump on here nd tell you what kind of dog they like the most

I know you said you looked at the pound, I suggest looking at the rescue dogs around where you live, most are breed specific, just google them, you can find puppys up to adults

Now I would suggest a Boxer, if you get a female she should be around 50 lbs, males can get a bit bigger,
I have had plenty of breeds, but I will never own anything other than a boxer again, they are playful, loyal and can be protective when needed, easily trainable...just have lots of treats

Tinksalot
03-25-2009, 10:09 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I lost my 15yr+ old cat last year, I cried for 3 days. I also love having a dog in the house. I am a firm believer of adopting from shelters and rescue organizations. However, be careful when adopting from the shelter, as I too adopted my dog there and he had parvo. Luckily I got him to the vet in time to save him. My $35.00 shelter dog ended up costing over $1000.00!
He is a Rottweiller/Labador mix and a great dog! Can't imagine life without him! :puppy::dog:

SBETigg
03-25-2009, 10:10 AM
Look into Pembroke Welsh corgis. My corgi is loveable, sweet, and great with people, a little guarded around other dogs but social, and very protective of our yard (chases away squirrels, etc.). She's not much of a barker, unless there's cause. Corgis are middle-sized, shed occasionally. She loves to cuddle, but she also loves to play on her own or with us or other dogs. She's great indoors and out. They're herders, so they try to "herd" their people by nipping heels when they're young, it's cute then but a habit that's easily broken with a little training. There are reputable breeders, but there's also corgi rescue. I would look into both.

It's completely understandable that you would still be missing your dog. Two weeks isn't a long time and you had a long, loving relationship. I'm sorry for your loss. :hug:

7swans
03-25-2009, 10:35 AM
I second the vote for a boxer, they are all around wonderful dogs, great with kids, sensitive to your emotions, playful, and yet when called for they will protect you.

They are the size you mentioned as well.

Good luck with your choice, and I am sorry for the loss of your old freind.

NotaGeek
03-25-2009, 11:10 AM
I am so sorry for the loss of your dog ... it's never easy, but with time, it does get easier. Getting a new pet does help things along ... please consider rescuing a dog before you try for a breeder. I am sure I don't have to mention puppy farms, but SO many breeders are puppy farms in disguise. Do your research!

Parvo is a horrible consequence of shelters having to house dogs in close quarters, but every state has rescue organizations housed in temporary homes and you can usually find any breed of dog. There's a site call Pet Finder that can help, lots of shelters and rescue organizations list their dogs there.

Good luck!

MickeyMousse
03-25-2009, 11:21 AM
First, I am sorry for the loss of your dog. :(
Take time to heal.

We have always had 2 dogs, so when one passed we had the other. It took us 5 years after our Harmony died to get another dog and playmate for Dakota. We rescued Melody thru eskie rescue, that's just our choice of breed. I loved that she was already potty trained and fixed-2 things I didn't want to go thru again. Rescue is a great resource if you are looking for a pet, whether it be pure bred or not. You're doing a wonderful thing by rescue/adopting and I 'd highly suggest doing a search within your area to see what is offered.

Nobody can tell you if it's too soon or not-it's up to you.

Good luck!! Keep us posted! :mickey:

DakandZakMom
03-25-2009, 11:31 AM
I have to give 2 votes. I have a cocker spaniel for my older son and she is the best . I got my younger son a bassett hound and he is just perfect for him.

I had to do my research on the best dog for each of them since they are totally different.

Stitchahula
03-25-2009, 12:15 PM
My advice is to go get a breed book. It lists all different types of dogs personality coat type ect. Than make a list of say the top 5. If you want to get a dog from a breeder (don't go to a pet store they are usually from puppy mills) make sure at least 1 of the parents are there. Meet the parent of the puppy so you can see the temperment and just how big they are. I'm sorry about the loss of your puppy.

DreaminofDisney24
03-25-2009, 04:58 PM
I agree with researching breeds..because i have a feeling a lot of us will recommend what we already have! So of course my vote goes to the Sheltie (Shetland Sheepdog)! Great dogs, wonderful with kids, easy to train, gorgeous coats, some can be barky because they are herders (we have one barker, and one that doesn't) and they loooove being with people! I love my girls:puppy:
I am also terribly sorry for your loss...it's losing a member of your family and it's something that you'll never truly get over (don't get me started on my childhood kitty)!

DisneyDog
03-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Definitely do your research. Go to the AKC website and read about them there. Also, look for dog shows in your area and go and "browse" so to speak.

Dulcee
03-25-2009, 09:49 PM
I will probably be in the minority here but (especially since you're already considering a shelter puppy) check out some female pitbulls/pit mixes.

Now before people get upset with me, I have a pit rescue now who's the biggest baby ever. I'm also working on a research study with shelter dogs and the only dogs we never run into problems with during the testing are the pits.

A female pit tends to be anywhere from 30 to 50 lbs. They have awesome temperaments and tend to be pretty mellow dogs.

Just something to think on!

Marilyn Michetti
03-25-2009, 10:55 PM
This is a fun thread. I get to vote.

I LOVE my Chow / Lab. She's solid black, and shiny as a penny.

My favorite was my Bassett / German Shorthair. He came from the pound, and we loved him for ten years that he wouldn't have had the next morning. He had mange, tonsillitis, and a horrible cough. However, he also had the sweetest eyes. ( I called them ASPCA eyes).

I think there's a great middle ground between puppy breeders and the pound, and that would be rescue groups that are funded by "lovers" of whatever breed they happen to be. They're kept in foster homes until they're adopted, and get lots of love. The best thing is that the "fosters" get to know the dog very well, and will be able to give you the best advice on whether it will be right for you.

Good luck.:dog::puppy::paw:

Mickey91
03-25-2009, 11:23 PM
Thank you all so much for the suggestions. Keep them coming!! :mickey:

Not sure we are looking to go to breeders. I am perfectly happy with a mut. We had such a sweet Chow/Collie that I am leaning more toward a Chow mix, a Sheltie, something docile but protective if need be. My daughter and husband want a puppy that can grow up with us. I am leaning that way as I tend to be skittish around grown dogs and am afraid I will not be good with an already adult dog. I would have to be "sold" on one I guess. But, I am a softy and could fall in love with just about anything given the opportunity. My son doesn't care as long as I quit crying at the drop of a hat. He feels so bad when I get teary. It is actually nice to know how much he cares:mickey:.
Send a prayer that we find the right dog or that one finds us soon!! :mickey: Thanks!!!

Dulcee
03-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Not sure if anyone else mentioned this but Petfinder is a fantastic website. Its a huge huge network of both shelters and foster groups. You can run a search based on where you live, the breed, age, gender and size of a dog your looking for. The best part is dogs are updated daily so while the right pooch may not find you on day one eventually he or she is bound to turn up.

Good luck!

TooGoofy
03-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Love, love, love Petfinder! We got our sweet Merry-girl through Petfinder after Max passed. Pippin was grieving and acting out, so we looked for another miniature schnauzer to keep him company. We found Merry, a one and a half year old schnauzer, who had been given up for adoption by her elderly owners...they just couldn't keep her any more. She was in West Tennessee, and the southern shelter had a partnership with a shelter in our area. They put her on a special transport truck to the northeast and we picked her up a week after the adoption went through. She has been a total joy and she and Pippin love each other. We will always go through rescue in the future.

azdisneymom
03-26-2009, 10:37 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. The two best dogs I ever had were as different as night and day. The first was one we got from the pound. She was mixed breed and the sweetest temperment. The second was a Bouvier de Flanders. Bigger than you want, requires a lot of grooming. The biggest, gentlest teddy bear you could ever want. He was a herding dog. Ee would 'hitch' him up to our kids wagon and we would all go happily on long walks. He just loved pulling. At home he was good with the kids and on the calm side. I would get another one in a heartbeat.

You will know when the time is right to find a new puppy to love. Best wishes.

Mickey91
03-26-2009, 10:44 PM
We actually found a puppy we liked on petfinder but she was taken before we got through to talk to someone. She has a sister though and we might get a chance to adopt her Monday. Seems several people are interested so it will just be about who is the right fit. Lots of prayers and pixie dust needed!! This little pup looks a lot like the one we just lost. :mickey:

Stitchahula
03-27-2009, 08:53 AM
I'm so glad you found one that you think you want. I would like to caution you though don't try to "replace" the puppy you lost with this one. Every dog is different even when they are related they can be very different. Just love this one for who the pup is. Good luck if not this pup well then it wasn't ment to be and there is another one out there waiting for you to find them.

Tygger7
03-27-2009, 09:33 AM
First, I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my oldest pug suddenly last September and it was devastating. Even though I have 3 other pugs, it felt like part of our family was missing. Since Ozzy was a rescue pug, I decided that the best thing I could do for me, and for his memory, was to get another pug from resuce and give them a chance to have a happy forever home, like he had. A little over 2 weeks later, we got our Bella from pug rescue. I know everyone is different, but having her helped me get through the grieving process.

I think it's awesome you're looking for a rescue/shelter dog/puppy. I will chime in and agree with the other posters about the advantages of working with rescue organizations. All of the dogs are placed in foster care and fully evaluated, so they are able to find the best match for you and the dog. As you can tell, I'm a pug person and will never get one from anywhere but our local pug rescue. Bella is my 4th adoption from the rescue and every one has been a perfect match for us. While I love puppies, getting a dog that is 1-2 years old has advantages...housetraining goes MUCH faster, and they are past the teething stage.

It sounds like you're on the right track, but don't hesitate to research the breeds mentioned & contact breed specific rescues in your area. I love my pugs dearly and they're perfect for our family...very loving & affectionate, not too big, not too small, playful, but not hyper. Puggles are great too, they're a cross between a pug & beagle and have the best traits of both breeds.

Good luck in your seach and please post & let us know the outcome!! :puppy:

murphy1
03-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Aw, I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend. My screen name is my dog's name, so you can tell how much I love her (she is 9). She is a border collie (purebred). I would only get a herding breed if you don't mind a crazy animal that does nutso things and is super active. My dog is like a 2 yo some times. She will make you play frisbee all day long (well, tires out more now) and herds my cats some times. But she also has to sit with me when I watch tv or sew and sleeps with us too. Rescue is wonderful. I think when you see that dog for you, it will probably be very obvious :) and some dog is going to be very lucky to have you as a mommy.

PrettyMinnie
03-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Our dog Zoey is a total bum dog! We love her to death, but she literally sleeps all day, plays with us some during the evening but by 8 wants to go back to bed! She is Black Lab/Boxer mix and is about 50 pounds. We rescued her when she was a year old. We think she was abused because she is afraid of some people and she has severe aggression towards other dogs. She is a sweetheart to humans though, which is what we care about.

Anyway, she really fit perfectly into our family, but we were also considering a "puggle." A pug beagle mix. It's a smaller dog, but not a yippie one. We have always wanted a pug but not all the potential medical problems that come with it. We are looking into getting one soon! Good luck! And sorry about you Puppp. :(

7swans
03-29-2009, 02:32 PM
We have a puggle, our friend is a mail carrier, she found him on her route w/ no collar and brought him to us, we tried to find his owner, but no one claimed him, so we had him neutered & he is ours now. He is a very determined sort of dog, eager to please, but once he gets it in his mind to do something he doesn't give up easily.
Cosmo has grown on us, he is very eager to please.

We recently lost our Great Dane to old age, and our 3 year old boxer was hit by a car last year.

I am thankful to have Cosmo, he helped lift a depression I had after losing Wallace (the boxer) but if we were choosing another dog it would without a doubt be a boxer.

bouncer
03-29-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm really surprised that no one has yet mentioned a labrador. We have 2 smaller black males (80 lbs each). If you look carefully you'd find a nice small female. I just love their temperment. Biggest love bugs I've ever seen. They love to run and play, never seen them aggressive. Our older adjusted well when our son came along and again when we brought home the 2nd lab. The second will stay near our feet he can't stand to be apart from us. It sounds like your choice is that next dog will be a like replacement to the one you lost meaning same breed/type. So good luck with finding the one you want. Sorry for your loss and many fun days ahead with a new pup.

hokies4life
03-30-2009, 08:30 AM
The one thing with puggles is that they can be very energetic from what I've seen. My future SIL has 2 and they keep them crated all day while they are at work, so once they are out of the crates they run wild. So I know it comes down to the training, but I have seen other puggles that are that hyper so just an FYI in case you would want a calmer dog.

Mickey91
03-30-2009, 09:41 PM
WE GOT THE CHOW CHOW:dog:!!! We actually got her Saturday afternoon but have been very busy, both with the new pup and with the kids' activities. Thank you sooo much for all the great suggestions!! We have actually considered many of the breeds you guys have mentioned and in the end, I saw a picture on our Humane Society's webpage that I could not resist. We got our application in Saturday morning and by Saturday afternoon, we had our 4-6 month old Chow puppy:puppy:. Being a Disney board, I'm sure you won't be too shocked that we named her Lady. Thanks to everyone for your prayers and great advice throughout the last three weeks. I couldn't have gotten through all this without you guys!!:mickey:

Dulcee
03-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Congrats on your new puppy! :princess::party2::dog: She sounds like she is already very much loved. Best of luck with her!