PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for Moderate

estein80
03-23-2009, 10:12 PM
DH and I are talking about going to WDW midweek in May. We are thinking about staying at a Moderate hotel as it falls in our price range (w/ our FL resident discount). A friend recommended CS. My husband is thinking something in the Epcot area. I haven't stayed at any of the moderates and was wondering what people think about them and which area would be best to stay in.

We will be traveling with a 10 month old and are planning to take it easy, heading back to the hotel midday for a nap, etc.

Thanks!

Seasonscraps
03-23-2009, 10:18 PM
I think Caribbean Beach is considered an EPCOT resort but it's not walking distance to the park.

My personal preference is POR - I like the theming, restaurant/food court/lounge, pool, etc. It's a nice boat ride to DTD and a nice stroll to the French Quarter.

buzz2001
03-24-2009, 05:38 AM
CSR is my family favorite! I don’t know if it will work for you but pick which resort theme you like best and which resort amenities meet your family's needs. Also, check out my CSR website below for updated info and pics.

Here is just some quick info on CSR.

CSR has newly renovated rooms (about half done as of 3/2009) and queen beds (only mod to offer them).

A terrific main pool area that includes a 123 ft slide (2nd largest at WDW), kiddie pool, arcade, playground, sand volleyball court, hot tub (largest on WDW property), a bar, and snack bar (very good food for CS).

Reliable transportation that is not shared with other resorts, 4 resort stops and quick rides to all the parks. CSR has the closest bus stops to the park entrances too (first stop at DHS and MK)!

Other amenities you may be looking for in a resort.

Only moderate to offer suites.

A spa, salon, tanning beds, a lap pool and fitness center (free to its guests).

Full menu room service, expensive though.

Central air, flat panel TV’s and WiFi available.

Rix Lounge – a dance club voted most trendy bar in Orlando.

A business center with computer access.

#1donaldfan
03-24-2009, 06:35 AM
..either POR would be great...we personally like Riverside, as it's so laid back, quiet, shaded, relaxing....(I could go on and on)....there are many things to see and do while just on the resort property....ride a bike, take a boat to DtD, take a carriage ride, shop, eat, swim, walk.....the food is great, the buses are above par....did I mention it was great.....:mickey:

kakn7294
03-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Well, aren't we a helpful bunch? We've all recommended something different. My fave is POFQ. The resort is small, easy to navigate, beautiful, and quiet. With a 10 mo old, you might be able to get a King room since you won't need the second bed.

Disney Doll
03-24-2009, 07:42 AM
My vote is for CSR. We have stayed at CBR & POR and have visited POFQ, but CSR is our favorite moderate. The resort and the grounds are just beautiful and it seems like there's a fountainm around every corner. We took our son when he was 12 months. We loved dining on the patio next to the lake and our son loved watching the ducks there. It was such a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere at that resort and we loved it! Now that the rooms are renovated I'm sure it's even nicer.

KatMark
03-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Another vote for CSR...although in all fairness it is is the only moderate we have stayed at (seven times and counting). If we were to choose another, the only one we would consider is the POFQ. Although we love the food court at the POR, we just didn't care for the resort itself. And we don't like the CBR at all--from the themeing (especially with the new rooms) and thought the food court was awful.

The CSR is a 7-minute bus ride from Epcot once you leave the resort. We love that it now has queen beds, has a lot to offer like some of the deluxes--but not at a deluxe price. We love the fitness center/spa, three quiet pools and main pool, plus the largest hot tub of all the mods; full room service menu; the food court and the new take and go; the new Rix Lounge, as well as the Laguna Bar and the Siesta Food Bar at the Dig Site pool. They have a great gift shop. We've had seven nearly perfect stays with very friendly CM's and great mousekeeping.

Disnamic Duo
03-24-2009, 09:35 AM
CBR is VERY close to EPCOT. We stayed there last October, and we had our own car, and it was very conveniently located. We liked CBR a lot; it's a beautiful resort.

That being said, we actually prefer CSR, and will probably stay there this year. It's just a metter of personal taste (and we love the Pepper Market).

We've also stayed at POR (least favorite of the Moderates - again, personal taste).

homeschool mom
04-30-2009, 04:42 PM
DH and I just stayed at CBR last week. It was our first time there and I highly recommend it. It was gorgeous and very relaxing. I can't wait to go back! :thumbsup:

bostomco
04-30-2009, 10:46 PM
We've only stayed at POR, but we absolutely love it. The theming is amazing. The main pool is great, but the quiet pools are really nice too. I feel like it's the most centrally located of all the moderates. The boat ride to DD is great and the ability to rent water craft is also really nice. We debated staying at CSR, CBR, and POFQ for our next trip, but we stuck with POR. Mostly under the theory of if it ain't broke don't fix it. Based on what I've read I don't think you can really go wrong with whichever one you choose.

Lakin
04-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Even though it isn't in the EPCOT area, I would like to recommend Port Orleans French Quarter. It is beautifully themed, well put together, and all over just great!

deedeebee
05-01-2009, 02:50 AM
POR is the best. This resort is our home away from home.

c&d
05-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Another vote for CSR. We stayed there last week in one of the renovated rooms. We were very impressed with the room. We loved the sliding wood doors instead of a curtain. The color scheme was blue and brown very soothing.

Plus we love Pepper Market and the gift shop and the fact that we didn't share a bus.

Gaz10
05-02-2009, 06:22 AM
Got to be CSR , Stayed twice before and will be back in 3 weeks:mickey:.Also stayed at PO twice , Prefer CSR because it is less crowded than the other moderates, no problems getting round the pool.:chipdale:

JoDisney
05-02-2009, 11:27 AM
I have stayed at CSR with my family two times. We do not like it. My boys only liked the pool. I love to walk, and there is alot of walking. Sometimes, it was inconvenient for me with my sons to do the walking. The food court was not to our liking, either. There was alot of waiting. We like POR the most. We usually choose that resort if we want a moderate. Now, you have a baby. POFQ is probably the best moderate resort for you. It is a smaller resort. We do love this resort, but do not go there now that our sons have gotten older. They do not like the pool at POFQ. They do not like the short slide. POFQ is a wonderful resort. The plus is that it is smaller. It has one bus stop. It has the boat ride to DTD like POR. With a baby, I think POFQ would be best.

mitchsfan
05-02-2009, 01:41 PM
I have stayed at 3 of them. Caribbean, Coronado, and Port Orleans.

I really did not like Coronado Springs. I didn't like the "feel" of the place. Way to big, alot of walking, and I really didn't like the Food Court.

Carribean was really nice. Stayed there on our honeymoon. Really liked it. The tropical atmosphere, the food court, the ambience of the place really made it for me.

Port Orleans... really nice too. Stayed there in Ocotber of 2006. The whole Louisana feel and jazz music being played was really cool.

Could I throw something out there? I once heard the main difference between a Value and a Moderate is that a Moderate has a resatuarnt while a Value doesn't. That was from a travel agent.

If you don't plan on using the restauant then you might want to look in a value. The Pop Century is just great. It is a great value with a 3 pools, a splash place, a small playground. And with a 10 month old, it is such a "visual" place. So many things to see. Just a thought....

Enjoy your trip!

artyboy
05-02-2009, 03:40 PM
I'll toss this out there, as I see that you are from Florida like us.

We really didn't like CBR, as it looked and felt like many places in South Florida, and when we stay at Disney, we want to be immersed in a different world than where we live.

That said, we LOVED CSR...it's just so beautiful, especially at night. Add in the queen beds and recent renovation, and I think that it's a clear choice. We've stayed there 3 times.

We also loved POR (stay in the Mansions...they are like a mini GF!) and POFQ.

That's my opinion...you'll have a blast.:mickey:

dmosher
05-02-2009, 05:00 PM
As always, I have to push for Coronado SPrings. I love this place and though now DW and I stay in Villas @ WL, my favorite moderate (and yes I have stayed at pretty much all of them) is still and will forever be CSR. It is beautiful, has a great pool, is quiet (unlike BC), has a great selection in food court and amazing breakfast at TS. It is just so nice to come back form the wonderful insanity of the parks to the calming tranquility of CSR. I am pretty certain you will enjoy it.
:pipes:
D

Wrigley
05-03-2009, 03:31 PM
We really prefer CBR. We love the relaxing feel of the resort and all of the beautiful bright colors. The Old Port Royal is wonderful-great food court, arcarde, and store. We always find something for everyone in the food court. We have not been since the new pool has opened-but will be in Oct!-but I'm sure that is great too. We love that each "island" has it's own quiet pool, and we never found them to be crowded. The bus system has always been great also! Overall, I don't think you could go wrong with CBR-our top choice by far!:mickey:

dream6
05-03-2009, 04:20 PM
The only moderate I have stayed at is the Port Orleans French Quarter. It is a very pretty hotel and it's quiet. It's definitely compact so it makes getting around very easy and I don't think there is a bad location throughout the resort. Our only issue was with the bus system but when I read reviews it sounded like we just had an off experience - most people have only good things to say about their transportation.

BluewaterBrad
05-03-2009, 04:28 PM
I agree Caribbean beach.:mickey: