PDA

View Full Version : another bus story

readytogo2
03-23-2009, 01:07 PM
we were at the world 3/8- 3/16. we were in the line -second row- waiting to go to MK from POP. no scooters waiting. some busses started to the loading areas here comes a scooter from behind us. when the MK bus pulled up here comes another scooter. no big deal they get the first scooter on the let her party of 3 people get on. still no problem. the driver then helps the 2nd scooter on the lift. when they get to the top of the lift the man on the scooter stands up , yells for his family to get on. 19-NINETEEN- people come up and get on the bus. i have no problem with a few family members riding with him but 19 is a little much IMHO.

brer frog
03-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Sounds like someone was having a family reunion :party: or something. 19 is a big number to have in your group, but Disney is a family resort, and they promote having family reunions there and such.

Don't rain on his parade

vicster
03-23-2009, 01:59 PM
It's easier to rent a car and avoid the buses altogether.

Disney Doll
03-23-2009, 02:01 PM
Sorry you had a bad experience. Most of the time we have great experiences with the buses, but it's a roll of the dice. Now that we have a toddler we usually rent a car. Toddlers can only wait so long. :blush:

ransam
03-23-2009, 02:06 PM
as someone that uses a scooter I will say that *****...but not sure what to do in that situation. When i go i have my sister and bestfriend w/ me...I usually try to stay on the scooter if they will let me (some drivers don't mind.....and when the bus starts filling up, i go ahead and do it anyway). my sister has a bad foot so she sits, but my friend always stands so some one else can sit...but...in that situation, not sure what can be done...I am a firm believer that you don't seperate families at Disney...

PixieMagic
03-23-2009, 02:21 PM
I guess I don't understand why scooters get priority over anyone else? They should still have to wait their turn, in fact they get to sit while everyone else stands! I guess I just don't get the logic?

joanna71985
03-23-2009, 02:30 PM
I guess I don't understand why scooters get priority over anyone else? They should still have to wait their turn, in fact they get to sit while everyone else stands! I guess I just don't get the logic?

Scooters get loaded first because you have to lower the ramp, flip up the seats, and tie down the scooter (and it is almost impossible to do that with people already on the bus). Also, while the scooters may get on first, they are unloaded last.

Me personally, I'd rather be able to walk around on my own legs and wait for the next bus, then be stuck in a wheelchair/scooter/ECV all day and get loaded on first.

Imagineer1981
03-23-2009, 02:37 PM
It's easier to rent a car and avoid the buses altogether.

totally agree.

Also I think the scooter should have to wait until his family of 19 get to get on the bus from the line, then he can join them

readytogo2
03-23-2009, 03:11 PM
totally agree.

Also I think the scooter should have to wait until his family of 19 get to get on the bus from the line, then he can join them

this makes so much sense to me. let the 19 family members get in line then when its their turn load the scooter. and to frogmn78 im not raining on this persons parade just asking why these 19 people are able to line jump because one of their relatives needs to use a scooter to enjoy the parks

dumbo_buddy
03-23-2009, 03:15 PM
19?!? that's crazy! i am totally ok with the scooters getting on first since they need extra time to load and such but i think there should be some sort of limit to how many people can accompany you. the limit would be hard to set i suppose but 19 is too many people!

johnO
03-23-2009, 06:51 PM
C'mon, how often does someone on a scooter have that many people in their party? Most of the time it's nothing like this.

They shouldn't load the scooter that didn't wait at all. If the line is long enough to fill a bus and a scooter pulls up right when the bus arrives than the scooter and party should wait for the next one. That way they wait just like everyone else and everybody will see the fairness in the situation.

Take the same scenario but make the line only 20 people, then I think they should load the scooter first because if that person was without their scooter and got into the line they would make it onto the bus anyhow.

mouseketeer mom
03-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Thats aggravating...but I'm certain this is a very rare occurence that 19 people accompany an individual in a scooter..! Let it go. Its certainly not the norm.

grumpydude
03-23-2009, 09:07 PM
I understand why scooters get priority, just not the rest of the family.

Polynesian Dweller
03-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Its amazing how often this topic comes up, but regardless of how many times the answers are the same (and they are correct by the way):

1. ECVs have to be loaded because it is impractical to the point of impossible to load them after other people are on the bus.

2. The law requires Disney (and every other corporation) to acccommodate those needing ECVs.

3. Disney and other corporations cannot make a determination of need of the ECV. The law makes it fairly clear, show up in one then Disney has to assume you need it.

4. To not load the family at the same time only creates problems at the destination point with the person in the ECV waiting for their party. That would require yet another type of accommodation with toilet facilities, physical care, AC and other items which would only complicate things for everyone and, in the case of ECV users needing a care giver, potential place the ECV user at risk.

5. Not loading the family at the same time would be disciminatory. Disney would be preventing parties from travelling together simply because one member is in an ECV. To get around that they'd have to set limits on party size at one time on a bus and you can imagine how well that would go over.

In short, the acommodation is required by law, and it is appropriate so all can enjoy WDW. So, my advice to all who are inconvenienced by this at a bus stop is relax you are on vacation, and as the saying goes, get over it and die of something else.

brer frog
03-23-2009, 10:46 PM
I see where the anger comes from. that would have me upset as well. But at the same time, putting myself in their shoes, and from the previous post about how it's the law. Disney really has no control over what they can or can't do.

I do like the idea of having them wait in line like everyone else, and if they arrive latter in the line, and the party can't travel together then they take the next bus.

GrumpyFan
03-23-2009, 11:43 PM
I've experienced this same situation, well almost. I don't think there was 19 family members.

I don't think it would be unreasonable if the ECV/Wheelchair rider was only allowed to bring one or 2 other family members along, but 19 does seem to be pushing it.

Tinkerbellaella
03-24-2009, 12:14 AM
C'mon, how often does someone on a scooter have that many people in their party? Most of the time it's nothing like this.

They shouldn't load the scooter that didn't wait at all. If the line is long enough to fill a bus and a scooter pulls up right when the bus arrives than the scooter and party should wait for the next one. That way they wait just like everyone else and everybody will see the fairness in the situation.

Take the same scenario but make the line only 20 people, then I think they should load the scooter first because if that person was without their scooter and got into the line they would make it onto the bus anyhow.

I completely agree!

spoiledraf
03-24-2009, 03:58 AM
My niece is wheel chair bound and her father and I have recently had a conversation about just this type of problem. he firmly believes just because you are handicapped and in a chair, you have no more, or less rights than anyone else. If there is a line, you wait. Whether it's a bus, a ride line or a rest room. No coming up at the last second and jumping in front of everyone else. If all 20 had been in line, you would have known what you were dealing with and I assume would not have been as dissappointed in waiting for another bus. But if they are behind you and won't all fit after those in front are on, then they all wait for the next bus instead of you. Pretty simple. I understand the scooter must get on first, but it should be a package deal. Everybody waits there turn.

spoiledraf
03-24-2009, 04:14 AM
Its amazing how often this topic comes up, but regardless of how many times the answers are the same (and they are correct by the way):

2. The law requires Disney (and every other corporation) to acccommodate those needing ECVs.

4. To not load the family at the same time only creates problems at the destination point with the person in the ECV waiting for their party. That would require yet another type of accommodation with toilet facilities, physical care, AC and other items which would only complicate things for everyone and, in the case of ECV users needing a care giver, potential place the ECV user at risk.

5. Not loading the family at the same time would be disciminatory. Disney would be preventing parties from travelling together simply because one member is in an ECV. To get around that they'd have to set limits on party size at one time on a bus and you can imagine how well that would go over.

In short, the acommodation is required by law, and it is appropriate so all can enjoy WDW. So, my advice to all who are inconvenienced by this at a bus stop is relax you are on vacation, and as the saying goes, get over it and die of something else.

I'm not sure what you mean "required by law" I don't think the ADA says anything about handicapped folks going to the head of the line or their familys getting to go with them. It is designed to give those with disabilities "equal rights", not priority over everyone else.

"5. Not loading the family at the same time would be disciminatory." I have a party of nine in my group this year. If my group would have to split up, I would wait for the next bus.

""4. To not load the family at the same time only creates problems at the destination point with the person in the ECV waiting for their party."" Where do you come up with this stuff??? Equal rights means equal dissapointment. Wait your turn or die of something else!

Sorry, but we are very close to our niece who has CP. I just spent $7000 putting on a handicapped accessable deck on my house just to make it easier for her to enjoy paties and such at our home. But folks who want to be pampered and get special privledges, I don't tolerate well. Especially their family members who use someone elses dissability to take advantage of me.:mad:

#1donaldfan
03-24-2009, 06:30 AM
....I suppose both sides of this have valid points, but for me, it's just as simple as if your in line, either on legs or wheels, you should have to wait your turn....I mean to say if your just coming into the line and the driver notices you, he / she shouldn't remove passengers who have already taken a seat to accomodate the one who just arrived...there will be another bus soon, and at that point does their priority deem necessary......just sayin'.....:mickey:

Gooftroop5
03-24-2009, 09:56 AM
We were a party of 14 that went with my father who was on a scooter. We drove instead of using the buses. Personal choice, we really don't use the buses that often anyways while we are there. Even before my father's health forced him to use the scooter.

That being said though, honestly if they weren't there waiting & came up at the last minute they should have been asked to wait for the next bus. No one in my party would have been upset. Of course not everyone is like us. Also at the time the bus driver probably didn't have any idea how many people were getting on. You said he called for them. Not everyone is up front with it becasue they don't want to be told to wait either.

However it is like anything else no matter where you are. Disney doesn't split up families & they stand more of a discrimination lawsuit if they told the people to wait that were in a wheelchair or scooter then to annoy a bunch of "healthy" people standing in line.

The rides are the same way & we got a lot of looks from people when we got on the rides all together. We always offered to split up but the CM said no you are a family you stay together that is the point of Disney.The only ride that we had to split up was TSM. They only allow a maximum of 6 people including the person in the wheelchair/scooter into the handicap line. That is because of how the wheelchair cars are. We rode it 2 times & both times the CM was really apologetic & could tell they were waiting for us to be upset with it. We weren't. However i am sure they have had to deal with ones that weren't happy with it.

No matter how fustrating it is remember you are at Disney & be thankful you are not the one in the scooter & could stand there & complain that 1 scooter & 19 people got on that bus. My father wishes he could be back walking around Disney instead of realying on his scooter.

vicster
03-24-2009, 10:00 AM
No matter how fustrating it is remember you are at Disney & be thankful you are not the one in the scooter & could stand there & complain that 1 scooter & 19 people got on that bus.

Very well said!!! Life's too short to let these trivial things bother you! Be glad you're able to stand in line and always put yourself in the other person's shoes. Maybe you'd rather be the one sitting in a wheelchair or scooter???

valjane
03-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Very well said!!! Life's too short to let these trivial things bother you! Be glad you're able to stand in line and always put yourself in the other person's shoes. Maybe you'd rather be the one sitting in a wheelchair or scooter???

I don't think this is a fair argument.

If that were the case, none of us should complain about any little thing in life because we should just be happy to be alive.

We have had a party of 13 jump in line with their scooter-riding relative. Yeah, I'm happy that I can walk on my own, but yeah, it was also super annoying too because we had been standing waiting on the bus for well over 10 minutes before the scooter and the 13 able-bodied family members showed up and jumped on board first.

vicster
03-24-2009, 11:19 AM
I don't think this is a fair argument.

If that were the case, none of us should complain about any little thing in life because we should just be happy to be alive.

To each their own. I personally have had a life threatening illness and I am happy to be alive. Believe me - it changes your perspective on a lot of things.

tys_mommy
03-24-2009, 12:19 PM
totally different scenario but just a thought - Disney only allows 4 people to ride in the front of the mono-rail at a time and families are split - I know that's a luxury/bonus but still just a thought.

DisneyBabies
03-24-2009, 02:17 PM
I don't normally jump into this debate, but I just wanted to give my example. We (three of us) were waiting for the Magic Kingdom bus one day (along with one group of 8 and three groups of 4) and had been there for 40 minutes when a girl with a broken leg came up in a wheelchair with 13 other people. Five minutes later, the bus pulls up and people already on the bus move around and the driver gets the girl and her wheelchair on the bus. Then her entire party gets on the bus. And not one of us who had already waited almost an hour were able to get on that bus because that person's party took up the standing room on that bus. After they got on, my 5 year old asked me why all those people didn't wait there turn like we had to. I told him that that girl had hurt her foot and had to have a special chair and since she has that, she has to get on first. He thought about that and then said: "But those other people didn't have a special chair." So I told him that they were her friends and family and they wanted to go with her and he said "Then they should wait until they can fit after we all got on since we waited our turn." And there was no way I could argue with that, because my 5 year old was right. EVERYONE should wait their turn.

Yes . . . accommodate. Not give special treatment to. There was no reason that group couldn't wait for the next bus; even my 5 year old knew that. They should have waited for the next bus that could accommodate them.

5. Not loading the family at the same time would be disciminatory.

And it isn't discriminatory to make me wait even longer just because no one in my party needs a wheelchair or EVC?

And I hope I can enjoy Disney even if I have to have wheels, but that doesn't mean I am going to inconvience others who are there to enjoy themselves as well. Bottom line in our house: Everyone needs to wait there turn.

Now, I'm off my :soapbox:, and you won't hear from me on this issue again. Thank you.

Carol
03-24-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm closing this thread - as we just had this same discussion closed in reference to wheelchairs.

Let's move on .............