PDA

View Full Version : Best Character Meal For Kids Going To Wdw For 1st Time

DisneyPrincess21
03-22-2009, 10:23 PM
I am taking my two niece's in December for their first trip to wdw. They are 12yrs old and 8yrs old. The 12yr likes Mickey Mouse and isn't much of a girly girl and isn't really crazy about the princess'. But the 8yr old loves tinker bell and Belle from beauty and the beast. (As you can tell they are very different) I personally love Cinderella and Cinderella's castle so I am leaning towards Cinderella's royal table personally. But I am wondering if anyone could give me their suggestions on the best character meal (theme and food)for us to go to.
This will not be my first time to wdw but will be my first character meal experience so I am not sure where to take them. We are on a limited budget so this will be our "big" meal of the trip, So I want to spend the money wisely. Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:
Also, Are all character meals kids prices ages 3-9? or do any of them go up to 12 for kids prices?

javamama
03-22-2009, 10:57 PM
I would base it on food more than characters if your on a limited budget. We've done a few CRT, Chef Mickeys, Crystal Palace, and Ohana's.
The only one I wouldn't do again was CM for dinner, it was great for breakfast but I wasn't that happy w/the dinner offerrings. We did all the rest for breakfast, and they were great. I wouldn't do CRT again for a few years w/my kids, and I think dinner isn't a character dinner(I maybe wrong)
This year we're doing 1900 Park Fare at GF for dinner, my cousin said it was very good so I'm trusting her review. We're doing O'hana's again for breakfast which my kids loved and the food was great IMO.
It's hard to tell what you may like someone else may love, as for the characters the kids usually aren't disappointed they do come around and great them, they do a great job at that.

sfunicello
03-22-2009, 11:29 PM
I remember loving chef mickey's when i was there about 10 years ago...i guess i was in 5th grade and my sisters were about 6 & 8. We were very upset when we did not make reservations to eat there on our next trip.

I did also hear that breakfast is better than dinner

"DoYouHaveYourParkPass?"
03-22-2009, 11:51 PM
:mickey: Chef Mickey's is fun and the food is great. Characters are Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy and Pluto (or where on our recent visit). We always find the characters here seem to interact well with the kids and the food is good enough to make the adults happy.
Crystal Palace gives you the Pooh, Eeyore, Tigger and Piglet group of characters, something a little different.

homeschool mom
03-23-2009, 07:14 AM
I'll cast another vote for Chef Mickey's for breakfast! :mickey: We had heard mixed reviews on CM, but decided to try it several trips ago. We now go there with our kiddos (DDs 14, 15, & 17 and DSs 8 and 10) on every trip. We all enjoy the character iteraction and the food choices are great as well. I think it would be a good choice especially if the older girl isn't into the princes. She may not enjoy CRT at all.

DawsonAR
03-23-2009, 08:00 AM
We love CM and Garden Grill. The Garden Grill isn't as loud and you seem to get a little more time with th characters.

hlkeck
03-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Chef Mickey's and Garden Grill are my votes as well.

My kids have done CM for breakfast and even lunch - which they usually don't have - it was just a busy time of year and they added it in. We LOVE it.

Garden Grill really is fantastic - you get Mickey and Chip & Dale and it's in The Land in Epcot. The restaurant rotates throughout the dining (very slowly, you don't know it's happening) and you go past different rooms and such. The food is really fantastic. I took home the recipes of almost everything they served. The characters came by repeatedly and the kids loved it every time.

Tinkerfreak
03-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Well you won't be able to get Mickey and the princesses all in one meal so if Mickey is more important I also say Chef Mickeys or Garden Grill. Chef Mickeys is a little more loud and exciting, they have the kids twirl their napkins in the air and stuff like that. Garden Grill is quieter but the character interaction is much better. They spend alot of time with each table and sometimes come around twice. Chef Mickeys characters are always hurrying and we have had our table skipped on a couple of times.
If you decide on a princess meal I can only comment on CRT and the Norway meals. We like CRT for breakfast but the dinner was horrible and there are no princesses. We liked Norway for breakfast but also didn't like the dinner. There are lots of princesses at this one and you get good character interaction. If money is a big concern than you need to decide if it is worth twice the price for CRT to eat in the castle. You get a picture package included in the price for both princess meals and the food is pretty similar standard breakfast food.
I cant comment on 1900 Park Fare because we have never done that character meal.
Good luck with whatever you decide and have a great vacation.

mudpuppysmom
03-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Chef Mickeys, Crystal Palace (no Mickey or princess though, just Pooh and friends, still FUN!) or 1900 Park Faire is what I'd suggest with what you have requested feedback on.....granted you can't do Mickey & princesses in one meal, but you can sure have fun doing two meals!

GoofyforFun
03-23-2009, 07:25 PM
It really depends on what you can agree on and what do you like to eat. Norway BF is great with all the princess's Belle is the main attraction and she us waiting to take a pic with you. If you make an early ressie you can get into the park early and be inline for what ever you like. CM is great classic MM, MM Goofy, and some fun to go with it. our kids were ok with the food.
1900 PF was great for the characters, they all came to the tables (for US), CINDy, PC Wicked SM and her daughters.
Donald's BF is also classic characters and interaction is usually good for pic taking.

http://allears.net/din/cb.htm

DisneyPrincess21
03-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I have decided that since my 2 niece's have very different taste, I am going to take the family to Chef Mickey's for breakfast for the 12yr old's special treat/surprise. And I am going to take the 8yr old to Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique at Cinderella's Castle for the crown package as her special treat/surprise.
That way the 12yr old get's a day with Mickey and the 8yr old gets to be in Cinderella's Castle and get made up into her favorite princess.
That is a pretty good compromise don't you think?

Tinkerfreak
03-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Sounds like a great plan to me. BBB is so much fun, my DD who is 11 and so not girly still loves to do this when we go. She doesn't do the costume or anything but loves to get the Pop Princess or Diva hair and make-up.
Have a wonderful trip!

Belster
03-24-2009, 03:21 PM
If I were going to do one thing with characters taking your children' ages into consideration I would do a dinner show like Hoop de Doo or Backyard BBQ. They are a bit more money but a set price and your children would enjoy the entertainment...so would you. The Hoop de Doo even comes with some adult drinks(which is a nice addition).

If you are to do the CRT keep in mind that is VERY princess oriented, now thinking of what you said about one DD not being so found of the princess thing she may feel a bit upset about this. I know that my 11 year old is the same way and if I could only chose one and chose CRT she would not be a happy camper.

javamama
03-24-2009, 03:38 PM
I think your choices are perfect, and you did a very special thing for both of them:mickey:

madandmaksmom
03-25-2009, 09:51 PM
I think you made wonderful choices that will make them both feel special.:thumbsup: My girls loved both Chef Mickeys and the BBB. As a PP noted, my kids would never let me live it down if we did not do CM for breakfast! As for seeing the princesses and also Tink, you can always go over and see them in Mickey's Toon Town Fair.

DisneyPrincess21
03-25-2009, 11:10 PM
I think your choices are perfect, and you did a very special thing for both of them:mickey:

I think you made wonderful choices that will make them both feel special.:thumbsup: My girls loved both Chef Mickeys and the BBB. As a PP noted, my kids would never let me live it down if we did not do CM for breakfast! As for seeing the princesses and also Tink, you can always go over and see them in Mickey's Toon Town Fair.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
I can't wait. I am keeping both a surprise from them until the day of. They are both going to be thrilled.
Little do they know I am going to be enjoying both chef mickey and bbb just as much as they will. But I will tell them I am doing it just for "them" :D

kemps@wdw
03-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Another :thumbsup: for CM and Garden Grill. CM has a GREAT buffet (love them MIckey waffles) and Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, and PLuto. Garden Grill has a WONDERFUL all-you-can-eat skillet and has Micky, Minnie, Goofy, Chip and Dale! Would definitely recommend both!

CU Tiger
03-27-2009, 01:21 PM
I would also recommend Chef Mickey's.:thumbsup::mickey:

Nicki'sMom
04-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Remember you can take the younger one to see the princesses at Mickeys toon town fair, too. I think you made a great choice!