PDA

View Full Version : I Got In!

iDisney
03-21-2009, 04:02 PM
My College Program acceptance letter came in the mail today! :party: I am so excited, yet nervous at the same time. This will be my first time away from home for any extended period plus the first time I will have had a roomate. (I'm going to miss my doggie something fierce.) Also, it doesn't look like my college accepts their classes to credit, but no one can answer me for sure.

pianobabe
03-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Congratulations!!! I hope it all works out well for you.:thumbsup:

Briansmom
03-21-2009, 04:36 PM
:congrats: on your acceptance!

The waiting is terrible, isn't it? My daughter is waiting right now to hear about a professional internship with the Seas with Nemo. She won't know until May 1st.

Go and have a wonderful time! Enjoy the experience...and just think how much sugar you'll get from your puppy when you get home!! :puppy:

ibrowse17
03-21-2009, 05:35 PM
:party:Congrats! How exciting for you!! Good luck, and have a wonderful experience:thumbsup:

joanna71985
03-21-2009, 05:37 PM
My College Program acceptance letter came in the mail today! :party: I am so excited, yet nervous at the same time. This will be my first time away from home for any extended period plus the first time I will have had a roomate. (I'm going to miss my doggie something fierce.) Also, it doesn't look like my college accepts their classes to credit, but no one can answer me for sure.

Congrats!! See you down in FL!! :)

What role did you get?

pdrlkr
03-21-2009, 07:03 PM
:congrats:

iDisney
03-21-2009, 09:38 PM
:congrats: on your acceptance!

The waiting is terrible, isn't it? My daughter is waiting right now to hear about a professional internship with the Seas with Nemo. She won't know until May 1st.

Go and have a wonderful time! Enjoy the experience...and just think how much sugar you'll get from your puppy when you get home!! :puppy:

The waiting was torture! I had a pretty good feeling following the interview, but it is definitely nice to know officially. My thoughts are with your daughter. Hopefully she gets an answer soon!

I know I am going to get a ton of sugar when I get home! As far as she is concerned I am the reason the sun rises in the morning and sets at night. Hopefully being gone for a few months won't change that. I will miss my "night night kiss kiss" something terrible though. :blush: Oh wait. I'm a guy, I'm not supposed to talk about that stuff. :football::basket::strong: There. That should make up for it. :D

Congrats!! See you down in FL!! :)

What role did you get?

I was put in my first choice... Attractions! I had a horrible fear that I would be one of those guys playing with those Balzac balls in Epcot. I also (reluctantly) told the woman on the phone that I would do Quick Service when she asked me. To be honest, the thought of working at Cosmic Rays around Christmas gave me nightmares.

Now if only I knew which one... I'd be pretty okay with most anything honestly. The only one I think I would be instantly upset about would be Jungle Cruise. Love going on it, but being a Skipper is not for me!

DisneyCrazyET
03-21-2009, 10:19 PM
:congrats:
Have a wonderful time.
My DS was there Aug. 2007 - May 2008. His first time away from home.
He had a great time.
Enjoy!

joanna71985
03-21-2009, 11:26 PM
I was put in my first choice... Attractions! I had a horrible fear that I would be one of those guys playing with those Balzac balls in Epcot. I also (reluctantly) told the woman on the phone that I would do Quick Service when she asked me. To be honest, the thought of working at Cosmic Rays around Christmas gave me nightmares.

Now if only I knew which one... I'd be pretty okay with most anything honestly. The only one I think I would be instantly upset about would be Jungle Cruise. Love going on it, but being a Skipper is not for me!

Awsome! I got attractions too. :)

iDisney
03-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Awsome! I got attractions too. :)

I'm super excited for it. What did you do on your previous stints down there?

vizsla
03-22-2009, 07:24 AM
Congratulations :thumbsup:

PrettyMinnie
03-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Congrats! Have fun! :minnie:

brownie
03-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Congrats!

joanna71985
03-22-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm super excited for it. What did you do on your previous stints down there?

I've also done merchandise, custodial, QSFB, and character attendant. :)

iDisney
03-22-2009, 04:51 PM
I've also done merchandise, custodial, QSFB, and character attendant. :)

Oh wow! I didn't realize that you had the program that many times! It must be fun if you keep going back!

My family is convinced that I will either: A) like it and never come home or B) never want to go to WDW again. Guess which one stands a better chance?

Edit: I just noticed your signature. :blush: I guess I should pay more attention to those!

RedSoxFan
03-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Congrats and have fun.:mickey:

joanna71985
03-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Oh wow! I didn't realize that you had the program that many times! It must be fun if you keep going back!

My family is convinced that I will either: A) like it and never come home or B) never want to go to WDW again. Guess which one stands a better chance?

Edit: I just noticed your signature. :blush: I guess I should pay more attention to those!

Oh yeah. I love Disney, and I hope to work there FT after this CP ends (I graduate this summer, so I don't have to go back to NJ). That's one reason why I've done so many CPs. Plus I love getting experience in different roles.

Hmm, if I had to guess, I think I would go with Choice A. ;)

It's ok. :)

dumbo ears
03-22-2009, 08:00 PM
thats awesome, you will have a great time. I hope to also do the college program in 3 years

Beast_fanatic
03-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Congrats!

mouseketeer mom
03-23-2009, 09:03 AM
This is so exciting!!!!!!
I am a 43 year old Mom who will live thru your stories doing the college program!!;) Ha ha!!! Keep giving us updates and I wish you a whole lot of fun and surprises and adventure! (But no Jungle Cruise adventure, if skippering isn't for you!) Woo hoo!!!
PS-My oldest is only in high school..but when can you officially apply for the program? And...does your major make a difference in where you are placed to work?

iDisney
03-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Major doesn't make a difference. The classes they offer are more business oriented, but they teach things that transfer to nearly all careers.

According to their website"

Students must be currently enrolled and taking classes in a college or university in the United States and have completed at least one semester.

Students who have not yet graduated from high school but have dual enrollment with a college are not eligible to apply.
Those who have taken college courses, but are currently taking "time off" from school are not eligible to apply.
College Freshmen may apply during their first semester of school to participate during their second semester. The Disney College Program can not serve as your first semester of school.
College Seniors may apply for the program and participate immediately after graduation, but must be enrolled in school at the time of their interview.
Graduate students may apply, however it is important to note that this program, and its educational components, are designed for undergraduates.

However, they do have a program for high school graduates. I'll PM you the link!

joanna71985
03-23-2009, 11:58 AM
PS-My oldest is only in high school..but when can you officially apply for the program? And...does your major make a difference in where you are placed to work?

To do the CP, you just have to be 18, have completed 1 semester in school, and be in good standing with the school.

Nope, major usually doesn't matter (unless you go to a culinary school and want a culinary role, are a Hospitality major and want a hospitality role, ect).

jrkcr
03-23-2009, 12:38 PM
"Nope, major usually doesn't matter (unless you go to a culinary school and want a culinary role, are a Hospitality major and want a hospitality role, ect)."

Oh, both culinary and hospitality sounds fun! I'd have loved to have done either of those, way back when I was goofing off in college!

I got word yesterday that one of my nieces has been accepted too!! She starts in August. Hopefully my family and I can visit her while she is there!

joanna71985
03-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Oh, both culinary and hospitality sounds fun! I'd have loved to have done either of those, way back when I was goofing off in college!

I got word yesterday that one of my nieces has been accepted too!! She starts in August. Hopefully my family and I can visit her while she is there!

Oh cool! Do you know what she will be doing? Maybe I'll run into her down in FL.

iDisney
03-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Joanna: If you don't mind my asking, what do you think was your average take-home pay per week after rent was taken out?

I just went online and officially accepted (:party:) and it said that rent was $80-105 a week. The girl who gave the presentation at my school said that it was about $65. Not that that is a major difference, but if you only take home $200 a week, that is a major part of your check that is gone.

MegPeg85
03-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Congratulations! I did the CP in Fall of 2006. It was by far the best thing I have ever done. Please take advantage of all the fun stuff going on in the Fall. Don't take a moment of it for granted because it will go by so quickly! I still miss the CP every single day. Be prepared for heartache when you leave! :)

Regarding your questions about pay:
I usually cleared AROUND $100 a week, depending on my hours. I heard that lately CPs aren't getting as many hours as they normally do b/c of the economy. However, I think they guarantee at least a minimum of 30-something hours, at least when I was there.

I was lucky to not have any bills other than my credit card to pay while I was on the CP. Therefore, I pretty much broke even on the CP. I was able to have enough for groceries and food - I ate out often at the parks (I probably ate at a restaurant, on avg, 1-2 times/week).

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Oh and try to stay seasonal after it's over, if they let you! I did it and it's great!

Have a BLAST!

joanna71985
03-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Joanna: If you don't mind my asking, what do you think was your average take-home pay per week after rent was taken out?

I just went online and officially accepted (:party:) and it said that rent was $80-105 a week. The girl who gave the presentation at my school said that it was about $65. Not that that is a major difference, but if you only take home $200 a week, that is a major part of your check that is gone.

I usually had at least $110.

Yeah, housing has gone up. Last semester the cheapest option was about $75 (housing at Vista). However, it went up because the pay rate went up as well. My suggestion is to go for the larger apartment sizes (either a 3 or 4 bedroom apartment). It's cheaper.

Briansmom
03-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Yeah, housing has gone up. Last semester the cheapest option was about $75 (housing at Vista). However, it went up because the pay rate went up as well. My suggestion is to go for the larger apartment sizes (either a 3 or 4 bedroom apartment). It's cheaper.

Do people on both the CP and professional internships stay at the same place? If so, what's it like?

mouseketeer mom
03-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Ok...my daughter and I checked out the website. Please help me understand. How can it be a high school program? Is it that you can apply senior year in high school...but then you have to complete one semester of college before you can be accepted into the program?

joanna71985
03-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Do people on both the CP and professional internships stay at the same place? If so, what's it like?

Usually the PIs have to find their own housing (with very limited space at Northbridge). However, I heard for this semester some of the PIs were allowed to stay at Patterson (which is a CP complex). I don't know if that's true though.

Ok...my daughter and I checked out the website. Please help me understand. How can it be a high school program? Is it that you can apply senior year in high school...but then you have to complete one semester of college before you can be accepted into the program?

There are 2 different programs- the Career Start Program and the College Program. The CS is for people who have finished HS (I believe they have a limited amount of time in which to do it after graduating). There are only about 5 or so roles available, and I believe they have to take a class in FL. The CP is for people in college. You have to be 18+, have completed 1 semester, and be in good standing with your school. CPs have a lot more roles to choose from, and classes are optional.

ValenciaCalling
03-26-2009, 06:04 PM
CONGRATULATIONS! :thumbsup:

I won't know until after my audition in April.

The suspense is killing me! haha

cindchan
03-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Congrats!! It's nice to hear that someone got into a college program! Especially with Disney!!

:party:

iDisney
03-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks everyone! I went online and officially accepted just the other day. I had to get some school related things straightened out. I'm there August 10th! What's going to be torture is being on Disney property without being able to go to the parks. (You don't get your pass until your 3rd or 4th day:()

iDisney
03-27-2009, 09:13 PM
I apologize in advance for the double post but a thought just cropped up in my mind.

Can I pick which complex I stay in? How many do they have? Which are the best ones?

joanna71985
03-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks everyone! I went online and officially accepted just the other day. I had to get some school related things straightened out. I'm there August 10th! What's going to be torture is being on Disney property without being able to go to the parks. (You don't get your pass until your 3rd or 4th day:()

See you there! I check in on Aug 10 too. :) And yeah, the wait is going to be torture.

Can I pick which complex I stay in? How many do they have? Which are the best ones?

Usually you are asked your apartment size/complex at check-in. There are 3 altogether, and my favorite is Chatham (I hope to stay there in Aug).

iDisney
03-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Yeah, Chatham looks to be the nicest. Although it looks like they built some new ones called Patterson Court. I've been watching Youtube videos all night! Tours, Vlogs, etc. Don't even know how I came across them, but they have kept me entertained!

MegPeg85
03-28-2009, 01:05 AM
When I was on the CP, you could request which complex you wanted to live in (however, I don't think it was a guarantee). It may have been because I was the first group to check in.

Also, regarding Patterson, I've heard they are really nice, but I haven't been there. I would assume they are even better than Chatham, which is where I stayed. Chatham was great though - it was clean, quiet, etc. I LOVEDDDD it! So, I don't think you can go wrong with Patterson or Chatham. I even know several who lived at Vista Way and they loved it.

iDisney
03-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Vista Way kind of scares me a little bit! I will definiteley ask for Chatham or Patterson though. I plan on arriving the night before and getting at check in early, so hopefully I get one or the other.

I'm a little nervous about the financial aspect of it. It doesn't sound like you hardly earn enough to live on!

joanna71985
03-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Yeah, Chatham looks to be the nicest. Although it looks like they built some new ones called Patterson Court. I've been watching Youtube videos all night! Tours, Vlogs, etc. Don't even know how I came across them, but they have kept me entertained!

I've stayed at Patterson. I didn't like it that much. The apartments are smaller, and the buses don't stop at Patterson (so you have to walk to Chatham to catch a bus). The walk itself isn't that bad. But it's a pain late at night, in the rain, or after shopping.

dtootsie42
03-29-2009, 01:47 AM
Congrats!!!!!

iDisney
03-29-2009, 01:43 PM
I've stayed at Patterson. I didn't like it that much. The apartments are smaller, and the buses don't stop at Patterson (so you have to walk to Chatham to catch a bus). The walk itself isn't that bad. But it's a pain late at night, in the rain, or after shopping.

I will have my car so the fact that the busses don't stop there doesn't bother me.

If they are smaller... are they cheaper? ;) Also, how thick are the matresses? I'm looking into getting a memory foam mattress topper and wondered about the sheets fitting.

Also, what all should I bring? Ive seen Disney's list, but it doesn't seem like a very chomprehensive one. I've never lived on my own so this is all new territory!

joanna71985
03-30-2009, 09:53 PM
I will have my car so the fact that the busses don't stop there doesn't bother me.

If they are smaller... are they cheaper? ;) Also, how thick are the matresses? I'm looking into getting a memory foam mattress topper and wondered about the sheets fitting.

Also, what all should I bring? Ive seen Disney's list, but it doesn't seem like a very chomprehensive one. I've never lived on my own so this is all new territory!

No. In fact, last semester Patterson was the most expensive of the 3. As for the mattresses, they are really hard. So I recommend bringing a mattress pad.

A lot of stuff is included in the apartment. Some stuff to bring includes:
*a router
*warm-weather clothes
*a tv (if you use one- they aren't included)
*any special kitchen items (like a coffee machine, toaster, ect)
*calendar
*a good alarm clock
*a dry-erase board (this is great for writing messages, and everyone's schedules)

iDisney
03-30-2009, 11:19 PM
No. In fact, last semester Patterson was the most expensive of the 3. As for the mattresses, they are really hard. So I recommend bringing a mattress pad.

I figured they were the most expensive as they were the newest. How thick of a mattress topper do you think would fit a set of sheets? The deepest pockets I have been able to find are 15 inches, but I would like a good inch or two of memory foam as a topper. Are the mattresses fairly thin?

A lot of stuff is included in the apartment. Some stuff to bring includes:
*a router
*warm-weather clothes
*a tv (if you use one- they aren't included)
*any special kitchen items (like a coffee machine, toaster, ect)
*calendar
*a good alarm clock
*a dry-erase board (this is great for writing messages, and everyone's schedules)

*Router: Check.
*Clothes: Check.
*TV: Check (Are there cable jacks in the bedrooms? The TV I have is a decent bedroom one, but would be too small to put in the main living room.
*Kitchen items: semi-check. I have a coffee maker that I have never used and a toaster oven. I'll have to pick up an actual toaster. Is it better to wait until I arrive for this kind of stuff in case another roommate has one? I would assume so.
*Alarm Clock: Check.
*Dry-Erase Board: I need to get one of these. And maybe a cork-board as well. Can you use nails to hang things?

mrsgaribaldi
03-31-2009, 02:43 AM
Congratulations:mickey:

iDisney
03-31-2009, 01:22 PM
Congratulations:mickey:

Thanks!

Is it bad that I'm still around 130 days out and I'm already shopping for things I'll need? I'm not excited or anything!

LandFan
03-31-2009, 01:32 PM
Congratulations! You guys will have to let us know where you are placed - we will be there from Aug 16th-Aug22nd and would love to give you encouragement!!

joanna71985
03-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Is it bad that I'm still around 130 days out and I'm already shopping for things I'll need? I'm not excited or anything!

Not at all! I've started making out my lists as well. :thumbsup:

I can't wait!!

Congratulations! You guys will have to let us know where you are placed - we will be there from Aug 16th-Aug22nd and would love to give you encouragement!!

Of course! I will definitely let everyone know. :)

iDisney
04-01-2009, 10:50 AM

I will definitely do that!

trackbarroness
04-03-2009, 05:34 AM
Do you all which park you'll be working in? I work in the Magic Kingdom, and wouldn't trade what I do now for what I did before I left NJ for Fl.

joanna71985
04-03-2009, 07:09 AM
Do you all which park you'll be working in? I work in the Magic Kingdom, and wouldn't trade what I do now for what I did before I left NJ for Fl.

CPs don't find out until Day 2 in FL. But I am hoping for the MK myself.