PDA

View Full Version : Need all the pixie dust you can spare

laprana
03-20-2009, 04:29 PM
I posted a while back about my aunt who has cancer and was awaiting a potentially life-saving stem cell transplant. I'm happy to report that she got the transplant about 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately, things are not looking very good for her right now. She is very sick with a blood infection, and because she had to have chemo before and after the transplant to prevent rejection, she now has no immune system to fight the infection. She is on a ventilator and some seriously heavy-duty antibiotics to stop the infection from getting worse, but her doctors say that the drugs can only do so much. They are giving her until next week to see if she gets any better. If she does not improve by then, they say there's little hope she'll recover.

I'm so incredibly sad right now. She has been battling this disease since 2004 and she has been so strong, fighting as hard as she can to get through everything. There have been some close calls before, but she surprised us all, the doctors included, and she has pulled through. I'm hoping and praying she can this time, too, so the transplant has a chance to work.

My aunt (my mom's sister) is only 47 and has 2 kids - one a sophomore in college and another a junior in high school. They have been through so much, and I don't know what they'll do if they lose her. My mom is devastated, and I hate seeing her hurting so badly. It's all just really hard for everyone.

If anyone can spare some pixie dust and prayers, our family sure would appreciate them. We'll take all we can get from anyone who'd like to give them! I definitely believe in the power of pixie dust and prayers, and I hope they can help my aunt pull through at least one more time.

Stitchahula
03-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Oh god sending you a ton of pixie dust and prayers. Doctors don't know everthing she's already surprised them once as you said. Here's to hoping she surprises everyone again.

tadshome
03-20-2009, 04:54 PM
You aunt sounds like a very brave lady. I am sending you all pixie dust & prayers :hug:

kakn7294
03-20-2009, 05:08 PM
:pixie: and prayers from us too! Hopefully she's quite the fighter and will pull through. Please keep us updated.

DisneyOtaku
03-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Sending prayers and pixie dust your way. I hope she improves.

Dsnygirl
03-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Sending loads of :pixie: and prayers to your aunt... I sure hope she is able to pull through this, and she is very lucky to have you in her corner. I hope you're able to give us some good news in a few days! :pixie: to you, too, as you have to go through this.

Hull-onian
03-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Sending hugs and prayers your way that you and your Aunt will stay strong during her treatments.:angel:

Tinksalot
03-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Keeping your Aunt in my thoughts and prayers.
:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

Camping Mom
03-20-2009, 07:01 PM
God, lay your healing hand upon this brave woman. You know how hard she has fought and how much her family still needs her. If it be your will, please heal this infection so she has time to let this transplant work for her. Be with her children as they have watched their mom struggle. We know all things are possible thru you. In your Son's Holy name, Amen.

faline
03-20-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm so sorry! :pixie::pixie: in the hopes your aunt will continue to surprise her doctors!

murphy1
03-20-2009, 08:08 PM
I posted on your original post and I'm so very sorry to hear about this. I lost one of my favorite and closest Aunts when she was about the same age as your Aunt to Type 1 Diabetes (we have some awful Autoimmune diseases on my mom's side, I got one of the other kind, some days are hard, I can relate to the ups and downs of this crud). She was a twin and my mom's little sister (16 years apart) and it was so very hard on her going through her illness. But like we all said before, don't ever give up! She is lucky to have you :)

ElenitaB
03-20-2009, 08:18 PM
:pixie: and prayers for your aunt. She will be in my thoughts. Please keep us updated.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-20-2009, 11:27 PM
:pixie::pixie::pixie:Here's some pixie dust to help her beat this and have a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted on her progress. :pixie:

Mickey91
03-20-2009, 11:58 PM
Prayers and pixie dust!!:pixie::pixie:

RedSoxFan
03-21-2009, 07:13 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with your aunt.

laprana
03-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Thank you all so, so much for your prayers and thoughts. I can't tell you how much it means to me and my family.

My aunt is in Houston and we are in Illinois, and we were able to get my mom on a plane this afternoon so she can be with my aunt at the hospital. Yesterday evening, the doctors told the family that they didn't expect my aunt to make it through the night. But, she proved them wrong again! She not only made it through the night, but this morning her vitals, blood count, etc., had all improved just a little bit. We're all hoping and praying that this is a good sign. My aunt is incredibly strong, and I know she's fighting as hard as she can. Right now, we're all in kind of a wait-and-see mode. It's been such a roller coaster the last few days.

Thank you again so much for your prayers for my family. This is the reason I love Intercot so much - even though we don't know each other, we're always here for each other. Thank you, and please keep those prayers and that pixie dust coming!

disneydear
03-21-2009, 05:20 PM
:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:: pixie:Here's some extra pixie dust coming your way along w/lots of prayers. Hope your aunt continues to make progress. You and your family are also in my prayers.:angel:

TiggerD
03-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Sending prayers and all the Pixie Dust you need from Mass.

DawsonAR
03-21-2009, 07:26 PM
My prayers will be with your aunt and your whole family. God Bless!

DisneyWhirled
03-21-2009, 11:45 PM
I am praying for your aunt and your entire family. God Bless.

mrsgaribaldi
03-22-2009, 06:03 AM
Loads of :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:and prayers on the way

laprana
03-25-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm so very sad to report that my aunt passed away this morning. She was a wonderful person and fought with all she could until the very end. We're all heartbroken, but comforted by the knowledge that she's no longer in pain and doesn't have to fight anymore. Thank you all again, so much, for your thoughts and prayers.

MickeyMousse
03-25-2009, 01:02 PM
So very sorry for your loss. :hug:

Tick-Tock
03-25-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm very sorry. My thoughts are with your family.

faline
03-25-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm so sorry.

murphy1
03-25-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm so very sorry, your Aunt was a brave and strong lady. Prayers and peace to your family.

Tinksalot
03-25-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Please accept my sympathy on your loss. I'm so sorry.