PDA

View Full Version : My Disney $ just bought a new Hot water heater!

RocknBev
03-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Well....I was planning to go to Disney for MNSSHP this October but I arrived home from work on Tuesday to a flooded basement. The carpets were soaked. It was awful as I didn't know how to shut off the water as the water continued to pour out of the hot water heater. Fortunately the water authority and a neighbor came to my rescue. The amount of water in the basement looked as though it had been going all night. At first it appeared to be contained on one side of the basement. We had to rip out the carpet from a bedroom and large walk-in closet due to water damage and then empty the storage area in order to replace the hot water heater. The other side of the basement was fine so we move most of the bedroom stuff into the other bedroom for storage purposes....or so I thought.
On Wednesday, I dropped by my home to pick up my IPOD for a dentist appointment. It was in the basement on the other side also known as the dry side but as I entered the bedroom my feet went swoosh swish! Yep...more water damage. It appears that the water filter in the basement kitchen didn't appreciate the needed work necessary for the new hot water heater and it exploded sometime during the evening damaging the other bedroom as well as the kitchen and bathroom.
Yes...I have insurance but we still have to pay the deductible. They also depreciate the value of what I have to replace due to damage. After replacing the hot water heater at the tune of $800+ and the other expenses ..it just appears to be impossible to go to WDW again this year:( I am so bummed right now. I also don't look forward to all the work involved with moving all of the stuff out of the basement and then moving it back! I know things could be worse and I am thankful that we have insurance and all that but still I am a bit disappointed.:(

Hull-onian
03-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Insurance is so important these days. You will get through this mis-step. We live on the ocean, and when it floods, there is no control. You will get a new hot water heater, do a good clean up, and start again. We have been there, three times to be exact. So I understand completely. Sending some :pixie: your way.

brownie
03-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Bummer, sorry to hear you won't be able to make your Disney trip. That's got to be pretty disappointing.

laprana
03-19-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm so sorry this happened to you! I can totally understand how disappointed you must be. Sending some :pixie::pixie: your way that it will all work out!

Mickey91
03-19-2009, 06:01 PM
I am soo sorry!! Lots of pixie dust!!:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

barnaby
03-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Sorry to hear.
We just replaced ours a month ago. Luckily we caught it before it broke, but knew it was old so we went ahead and got a new one.

Bethis26fan
03-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Sorry to hear that.

MickeyMousse
03-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Definitely a disappointment but could you imagine if this happened while you were away at WDW??? :eek:

Don't dwell on it-it's fixed and you should feel safe and secure about that. Now, move past it and start planning your vacation for next year!! I think part of the fun is the planning in itself! :write:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-21-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm so sorry to hear you may have to postpone your trip. With the ARRA, everyone should be getting a little extra in their pay checks. Maybe you can take that extra and stick it into a vacation account and use that? It's supposed to be anywhere from $10-25 per pay period, depending on what you claim for your taxes.

I guess I was lucky BOTH times my water heater went. It was a slow leak and my basement isn't finished so it didn't make a big mess.

faline
03-21-2009, 04:15 PM
I'm sorry!

RocknBev
03-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Definitely a disappointment but could you imagine if this happened while you were away at WDW??? :eek:

Don't dwell on it-it's fixed and you should feel safe and secure about that. Now, move past it and start planning your vacation for next year!! I think part of the fun is the planning in itself! :write:

Thanks for this comment.....I needed a little perspective. I can't imagine what damage would have been done if I had been away on vacation! According to the "fix it" people, it will probably take about 3-4 weeks because of the damage to the hard wood floors in the basement. They are going to have to pull out the kitchen cabinets and re-do the floors(we have an in law suite in the basement). Fortunately, they send people to come pack up the rooms and I don't have to do it!:D

Thanks for all you pixie dust...this has been a VERY stressful week for me!