PDA

View Full Version : converting child ticket to adult

tys_mommy
03-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Friends of mine bought tickets and were never able to make it to Disney. Since they have not been activated they are still valid. They now want to go with us next year when we go but here's the problem. The ticket they bought for their daughter is a child's ticket - 7 day park hopper with water park and more - no expiration. Their daughter will be 11 when we go next year so no longer qualifies for a child rate. I know you can add features to tickets taking the desired option rate - the current ticket price; but her ticket has all the features already on it - can they exchange her child ticket for the equivalent adult ticket and just pay the difference using the same ratio?

medic9016
03-19-2009, 02:30 PM
I think she can still use the tickets. She was the appropriate age when the ticket were purchased for her. We did this with my daughters AP. We bought them just a few week before her birthday that would of changed her AP to adult.

tys_mommy
03-19-2009, 03:11 PM
I think she can still use the tickets. She was the appropriate age when the ticket were purchased for her. We did this with my daughters AP. We bought them just a few week before her birthday that would of changed her AP to adult.

I thought the ticket had to be valid for the time of use - as in she will be the adult price when the ticket is used - can someone please clearify this b/c if they don't have to do anything then that would be great but I really think they will have to try to upgrader her ticket to an adult b/c that's the age she will be now or just eat the cost and buy her a new adult ticket which would be very costly.

DizneyRox
03-19-2009, 04:03 PM
The ticket is no longer good for their daughter. They will need to trade it in for an adult ticket. I beleive the protocol would be that you would get the value of the ticket WHEN PURCHASED towards a new ticket. So, if it cost $100 when they bought it, they would get $100 credit towards a new adult ticket.

If it were used, even just one day, they would probably just upgrade it to an adult ticket at no charge. The key is, it must have been used when it was valid to be used.

When tickets are purchased really doesn't have any connection to this, other than it's cost and trade in value. An AP is a little different, a child who turns 10 during the course of their AP is still able to use that, BUT a renewal would be charged at the adult rate. If you buy a child AP and don't activate it until they are an adult, that's wrong, the AP should be upgraded to an adult AP.

CleveRocks
03-20-2009, 05:33 PM
A child ticket can be converted to an adult ticket ONLY when it's been partially used (which means the no expiration option must have been purchased). Disney does this to prevent people from "banking" unused child tickets for their under-10-year-olds and then using them when they are older.

So if I buy a ticket for my 9 year old but don't get a chance to use it until he's 10, I can't go to Disney and ask them to give me a complimentary upgrade to an adult ticket for him. Bt if I'd bought a 7-day ticket with the no expiration feature, then my son used it in a park once or twice, and then a year later he's 10, then in THAT case Disney would upgrade the remainder of that ticket to an adult ticket at no charge.

BMan62
03-20-2009, 06:24 PM
A child ticket can be converted to an adult ticket ONLY when it's been partially used (which means the no expiration option must have been purchased). Disney does this to prevent people from "banking" unused child tickets for their under-10-year-olds and then using them when they are older.

So if I buy a ticket for my 9 year old but don't get a chance to use it until he's 10, I can't go to Disney and ask them to give me a complimentary upgrade to an adult ticket for him. Bt if I'd bought a 7-day ticket with the no expiration feature, then my son used it in a park once or twice, and then a year later he's 10, then in THAT case Disney would upgrade the remainder of that ticket to an adult ticket at no charge.

The OP is not asking for a complementary upgrade, but is more than willing to pay the difference in price. They are just trying to make sure that they do not lose the value of the original ticket purchase.

The ticket they bought for their daughter is a child's ticket - 7 day park hopper with water park and more - no expiration.

... can they exchange her child ticket for the equivalent adult ticket and just pay the difference using the same ratio?

I'm going to say that you will most probably get the value of the original ticket w/options off of an adult MYW ticket w/PH & WPF options. So, if the original purchase price for a 7 day childs ticket with PH & WPF was $100, you will get $100 off the new MYW ticket.

Daddy Mouse
03-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Several years ago we had unused tickets our children were young when they were first used. When we went back after the kids were older we were given options.
1. The children could use their remaining days on the old ticket and we could purchase new tickets (adults) for other days.
2. We could upgrade the ticket given the worth when we purchased them toward new tickets.

Either way they would honor the child ticket even though they were older now. The idea that those tickets were non-transferable and ownership of the ticket stayed with the person.

If the tickets were never activated, it may pose a problem. A great opportunity for a lesson of honesty and integrity in this situation. Many people would just allow an 11 year old enter as a child.

tys_mommy
03-23-2009, 09:00 AM
OK, thanks for the answers.

Imagineer1981
03-23-2009, 01:02 PM
If the tickets were never activated, it may pose a problem. A great opportunity for a lesson of honesty and integrity in this situation. Many people would just allow an 11 year old enter as a child.

That would be my thought too...how many people would just use the ticket and not ask. How would a CM be able to prove or disprove if someone was 11 i/o 10. I would bet most people would just use the ticket under the thought of "hey I already bought the ticket, not my fault we didn't use it in time". (not saying this is my thoughts or would I ever suggest doing this)

TheRustyScupper
03-23-2009, 04:49 PM
1) No cost to change at any Guest Service desk.
2) Walk up and tell then what happened.
3) Then, say the magic word
. . . WaltToldMeYouWouldMakeThingsRight