PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a movie for my project please

handmaidenofprincesses
03-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi everybody,

I need to find a movie for my adolescent development class that has an overall theme concerning adolescent decision making, dating/sexuality, or the effects of ethnicity/culture (just one will do, doesn't need to be all three). Anyone know of a good movie I could use? I have to watch the movie and write a 3-5 page analysis of the adolescent behavior. (So much for being on Spring Break)

Thanks in advance for your help!!

BriarRose0708
03-19-2009, 11:45 AM
I'd recommend Dead Poet's Society or Remember the Titans!

Strmchsr
03-19-2009, 12:00 PM
How about Juno? That one deals with teen pregnancy.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
03-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Sixteen Candles

Boojum
03-19-2009, 12:16 PM
The characters in it may be a tad old for your target audience, but how about "Bend it Like Beckham?"

The movie is about an Indian gal who lives in present-day Britain with her very traditional Hindu parents. She wants to play soccer/football, which her mother considers un-feminine and not practical--even though playing could lead to a scholarship in the United States. In addition, it deals with her older sister's upcoming marriage and Hindu tradition sometimes clashing with reality and people's feelings and attitudes. There are also some scenes dealing (tastefully) with premarital sex and sexual orientation.

Plus, it's funny. I think you'd enjoy it! It stars Parminder Nagra from "ER" and Keira Knightly from "Pirates of the Carribean."

Rhetoric2000
03-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Kes is a remarkable British film about a young boy's ties to his culture against his ambitions. It's very bleak, though.

There's also Series 4 of The Wire, which follows 4 teenage boys at a school in Baltimore.

For something a bit more lightweight there's, well, pretty much anything from the eighties with John Cusack in.

brownie
03-19-2009, 03:55 PM
I'd recommend Dead Poet's Society or Remember the Titans!

I was thinking of Remember the Titans, too.

Dulcee
03-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Now & Then

[edited per TOS]

Awesome movie about growing up. It follows five young girls just entering the age where you question what goes on your family, your sexuality, and what it actually means to be friends.

Mickey91
03-20-2009, 12:49 AM
Hi everybody,

I need to find a movie for my adolescent development class that has an overall theme concerning adolescent decision making, dating/sexuality, or the effects of ethnicity/culture (just one will do, doesn't need to be all three). Anyone know of a good movie I could use? I have to watch the movie and write a 3-5 page analysis of the adolescent behavior. (So much for being on Spring Break)

Thanks in advance for your help!!
The Breakfast Club shows all kinds of different adolecent behavior and a glimps of what make them that way. It has all your sterotypes in detention for the day and they find out that they really aren't that different. They are all human

Cinderelley
03-20-2009, 07:00 AM
I too thought of Breakfast Club, but I'm not convinced it would be what you're looking for. If it is, it is very straightforward and would be easy to write a paper on.

What about Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants? (Teenage girls send a pair of pants along with a letter about their summer escapades to each other.)

Better Off Dead with John Cusack is from the 80s, but it would be great entertainment to write a paper on. (teenage boy wants to kill himself after his girlfriend breaks up with him. Great comedy.)

Lord of the Flies is a classic and is now a movie. (A group of kids are stranded by themselves on an island after a plane crash. Lots of symbolism. )

I think Twilight is supposed to be out soon. (Teenage girl dating a vampire.)

DH is a teacher and has a movie that he loves to show his kids - something about a handicapped child. I'll have to ask him what it is when he wakes up.

crazypoohbear
03-20-2009, 08:03 AM
How about
The outsiders
Dirty dancing
Grease

murphy1
03-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Dead Poet's Society
School Ties (deals with anti-Semitism)
Any of the John Hughes 80's teen angst movies from the 80's with Molly Ringwald

Hull-onian
03-20-2009, 06:44 PM
With my grandaughter, you don't need a movie. :laughing:

ASweetLov
03-20-2009, 11:17 PM
-School Ties
-The Outsiders

Very good interesting movies

Cinderelley
03-20-2009, 11:18 PM
DH said the movie is called "The Mighty". It's about a boy whose father killed his mother and he's being raised by the grandparents who befriends a physically challenged smart child who is dying.

tinkerbelle75
03-21-2009, 01:23 AM
There was a movie out around 1994 or so where Michelle Pfeiffer played a teacher in an inner city school- I can't remember what it was called, but if I had to do your paper, I'd definitely use it. It has everything you listed! The song that went with it was " Gangster's Paradise" by Coolio. You can probably find it that way. Hope You get an "A":mickey:

PirateLover
03-21-2009, 02:03 AM
There was a movie out around 1994 or so where Michelle Pfeiffer played a teacher in an inner city school- I can't remember what it was called, but if I had to do your paper, I'd definitely use it. It has everything you listed! The song that went with it was " Gangster's Paradise" by Coolio. You can probably find it that way. Hope You get an "A":mickey:

Dangerous Minds ;)

missymouseworld
03-21-2009, 08:04 AM
I just watched High School Musical 3 with my kids and there was some content in there that would work, deciding between which route to take after high school, college decision making, etc. As a matter of fact, the two previous HSM movies have content also. Good luck.

Ian
03-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Keanu Reeves made a film back in '88 called Permanent Record. Not many people saw it, but it's actually pretty darn good film that deals with students during their senior year of high school trying to cope with the suicide of one of their most popular classmates.

You might want to check it out.

Pagan
03-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Don't laugh, but "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" would fit your project.

DMApixie
03-22-2009, 11:37 PM
"For Keeps" with Molly Ringwald is a good one about teenage pregnancy and marriage

DisneyDog
03-24-2009, 03:58 PM
I would definitely go with Fast Times at Ridgemont High. It was actually voted the best teen movie of all times (can't remember by which committee). It has pretty much everything you are looking for.

meldan98
03-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Or if you really want to go off in an entirely different direction, there is the movie Heathers with Winona Ryder and Christian Slater or there is Dream a Little Dream with the two Corey's. Both deal with teen drama an angst to the extreme.

thrillme
03-26-2009, 01:17 PM
They had my son watch "Remember the Titans" in school and he HATED it. (The "Titans" part was terribly misleading when Robin, Starfire and Beastboy weren't in it...it went downhill from there).

What wins academy awards doesn't necessarily win tweens and young teens.

Better Off Dead is a FABULOUS movie. It's funny and it deals with "dating" issues and how things aren't always the end of the world and don't get recipes from Mom...Ha ha..It also dealt with "conflicts" between classmates and not necessarily being the "coolest". It also in a very humorous way showed how all parents can be embarassing sometimes. In the end too it showed what it was to truly care for someone (not just the "hottest" girl in school) and to believe in yourself.

High School Musical seems to be very popular with "girls" more than "boys". Be careful. There are a lot of suggestions that girls might like but boys would totally hate. Grease might be ok too...I REALLY like Better off Dead...so does my son...in fact we just watched it last week. But you'll probably be hearing "I want my 2 dollars for a week".

I seem to recall Dead Poets Society being pretty good but it might have been overly dramatic to keep their attention.

Another fabulous movie for your students to watch on a different subject is "Cool Runnings". While it is "based on a true story" but not anywhere NEAR the "true" story it's a super movie to encourage when one door is closed another is opened and how winning isn't nearly as important as being "enough" for yourself.

Cinderelley
03-26-2009, 04:48 PM
But you'll probably be hearing "I want my 2 dollars" for a week.

:laughing:

Pagan
03-26-2009, 05:09 PM
But you'll probably be hearing "I want my 2 dollars for a week"
That and "Gee, I'm really sorry your mom blew up, Ricky."

:D

meldan98
03-26-2009, 07:57 PM
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!!!

:thedolls:

Sorry, couldn't help it!!!

Cinderelley
03-27-2009, 02:03 AM
That and "Gee, I'm really sorry your mom blew up, Ricky."

:D

Everyone here in the ER is ready to have me committed 'cause I spit my water out and cracked up laughing when I read this.

Hull-onian
03-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Try the Breakfast Club.