PDA

View Full Version : arriving without ADRs

homeschool mom
03-17-2009, 10:42 PM
DH and I will be going to WDW April 17 for a week. What are our chances of getting into restaurants without ADRs. We don't plan on eating at any of the high end places, but some of the moderate sit downs. Honestly, I am glad to be going without an itinerary. We have been several times with our 5 children and I have always had each day planned. DH and I are just going to get up each morning and decide where we want to go that day. I think it will be fun for a change.

EeyoresBestFriend
03-17-2009, 10:53 PM
If there is just two of you ~ you should do alright. DH and I don't make reserves until the morning we enter the park or not at all. We tend to eat on the earlier side (4:30 or 5 pm) and have been able to get into everything we have tried. :) Last time we were at Boma, we noticed that there were several twosome tables that remained empty for the time we were there (well over an hour from 6 to 7pm with our group).
But I guess, like anything, you need to be prepared to maybe wait or be okay with being turned away if it can't be accomodated.
We have enjoyed the freedom of picking a park in the morning and then deciding where to eat! It's great! :cloud9:

vicster
03-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Honestly, I am glad to be going without an itinerary. We have been several times with our 5 children and I have always had each day planned. DH and I are just going to get up each morning and decide where we want to go that day. I think it will be fun for a change.

Until Disney started the dining plan that's what we always did. I don't like deciding 180 before I go where I want to eat but that's the way it is with the dining plan. I much prefer deciding each day where we'll go and where we want to eat.

Tinkerfreak
03-18-2009, 10:32 AM
I say that during a slow time you would be fine but that is vacation week for lots of Northeast states so it could be crowded. If you don't have the dining plan and are willing to eat cs if you have to then you should be fine. You might find it more relaxing and carefree.

Luv Eeyore
03-18-2009, 11:34 AM
DH and I did that last year, just a quick trip with nothing planned ahead. We ate at off times and really didn't have any problems. Even got in to some of our favorites in Epcot.

ThanxForNoticin
03-18-2009, 12:14 PM
DH and I did that last year, just a quick trip with nothing planned ahead. We ate at off times and really didn't have any problems. Even got in to some of our favorites in Epcot.

Agree - we had a similar experience. If there are just 2 of you and if you are willing to eat a little early or a little later some days, you can find some good spots to eat.

c&d
03-18-2009, 12:35 PM
I would suggest if there's a restaurant you really want to dine in make that reservation.

As someone else said the NE is on spring break and it was pretty crowded last year.

j&j
03-18-2009, 02:40 PM
you will have a longer wait or not be able to go,
it depends on the time you eat if around meal time no way. if the rest is very poplar no way. cal and see if you can make some now.:mickey::mickey::mickey:

kakn7294
03-18-2009, 05:12 PM
It will all depend on where you want to eat, what time of the day it is, how crowded the parks are, and the generally popularity of the restaurants. We walked up to Tusker House (great meal BTW) on Thursday last week at 12:15p and were seated within minutes but Crystal Palace was so busy at 2:30p on Saturday that they were turning people away and we waited 15 min beyond our seating time.

ElenitaB
03-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Did I understand from your post that it will be you, your DH and five children? That is a rather large party. Rather than waiting until dinner time, I'd suggest that you go to Guest Services when you arrive at the park and ask what restaurants have openings. As a party of three, my dinner companions did that in December at a rather busy EPCOT, and were able to procure ADRs for later that evening. Even if it is just the two of you, it will prevent you from going from restaurant to restaurant.

homeschool mom
03-18-2009, 09:34 PM
We are only a party of 2 this trip. We are leaving the 5 kids home. I wouldn't even try to get into a restaurant when we all go if we didn't have ADRs!

pamickeys
03-19-2009, 06:16 PM
trip this year,5/7..reservations made...0. always have a great time, just be flexible.

kemps@wdw
03-19-2009, 11:04 PM
For just the 2 of you, I should think you wouldn't have much trouble w/walk-ins, at most places. If you're turned away, there's always...someplace else. There's only 3 of us, and usually we'll only make 2 or 3 ADRs ahead of time if we want a character meal or a dinner show. The rest of the time, we'll decide after we arrive, and have never had much trouble getting into where we want. :thumbsup:

Hull-onian
03-20-2009, 01:00 PM
We like to play it safe and make ressies everywhere. Then, if we cannot make it to that restaurant for one reason or another, we cancel and just do the food court. We have never gone hungry at Disney World.
Have you?:tasty:

irish1967
03-20-2009, 08:07 PM
I would say that if there is a place you really want to eat at...make an ADR, that way you know you will be covered for that particular restaurant.

We go as a large group during the summer (7 adults 5 children) On occasion, my brother and his wife will decide to branch off on their own. They have always been able to eat where they wanted to that day. They call in the morning and take the time that is available - 4:30 or 9:30 - it doesn't really mater when children's appetites aren't a consideration.

Have a great trip!