PDA

View Full Version : Has your WDW trip been ever ruined?????

ASweetLov
03-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Have you ever been to WDW and your trip has been ruined by any reason?? Not completely ruined but something or someone during your trip just didnt let you have a great trip?

The last time I went to WDW in July 2007 I had a great trip but my first trip in 2006 was way better. My best friend and her brother decided to go with me and my fiance to WDW in 2007, and eventhough I love her dearly I would never take her with me again!!!She had something to complain the whole time we were there! at around 3pm we would go back to our resort from the park to eat and freshen up and as we waited for the bus and 3 minutes had gone by she was like "ugggg that resort already had 2 buses and ours isnt here yet, where is our bus?"..... It's like its been 3 minutes, if it was 30 minutes then ok complain. And unfortunately Pop century wanted to be nice and give us connecting rooms eventhough I really didnt want it, so she kept on knocking the whole trip. My fiance was annoyed and furious!!!!

AdventurerKim
03-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Never had a WDW trip ruined! The only way to ruin a WDW trip is to plan to go and not get to go. :mickey:

DawsonAR
03-17-2009, 01:03 PM
We were there a few years ago for a 10 day trip. My DH came down with the flu and was sick in the bed for 7 days. I made the best of it by going to the parks alone (he wanted the room to himself), but it still was a let down.

Itchy
03-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Boy does that bring back memories. For our first trip in 1989 my now Ex had invited my brother and sister-inlaw to go with us to visit the world. We went mid June and the heat did not help. What a bummer we could not have anytime to ourselves. They had to do everything we did, it was like they were attached to our hips.

The trip was so bad we went back in 1990 2- DD, DW, and I. We had a great time.

Although they have hinted at joint vacations since we always found someway to get around it.

brownie
03-17-2009, 01:47 PM
The closest I've come was our 2001 trip. We were scheduled to fly out 3-4 days after September 11. We ended up going in October, but it was disappointing to have to put it off, although that was small stuff compared to what many others went through during that time.

We've never had a trip ruined. With as much as you spend on a Disney World vacation, you really can't let the small things take away from the whole experience. It would take a lot for me to end with a ruined trip to Disney World.

vicster
03-17-2009, 02:02 PM
We were there 9/11 and I won't say that ruined our trip (that would be selfish) but made it a very sad time. We were too concerned about what was happening to our country we really didn't enjoy ourselves.

Seasonscraps
03-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Yes.
Dh & I planned a get away WEEKEND and he pouted the whole time that we were only there for, you got it, a weekend. We ended up adding a day while we were there - torrential rain storms. :thedolls:

Plus there were a few days here or there that I would prefer not to relive/rehash.

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-17-2009, 02:37 PM
One word...blisters!!! About halfway through our last trip I had blisters covering my entire feet and they were bleeding! We had to rent a wheelchair.

TiggerD
03-17-2009, 02:41 PM
We have been to Disney like 16 times and only once was it ruined, it was the first year we took our future daughter n law with us, she had never been, and I came down with a stomach virus 4 days into a 8 day stay. I ended up staying at the resort those last 4 days. I was disappointed but everyone else had a great time. It has not deterred my son and our now daughter n law at all. They are fanatics about Disney and go almost as often as we do. Next trip, September 10-19th.

Ian
03-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Ha ha ha ha ... yeah, we had one trip ruined, although it was no one's fault but fate.

After DD was born and was about 8 months old I decided to surprise DW with a long weekend trip down to WDW. This was in February of 2002. We had a tough 2001, with both of us getting laid off from our jobs, and since we had finally gotten back on our feet financially I thought it would be a great way to celebrate.

I planned the entire thing in secret, even going so far as to pack bags for DW and DD, call DW's work and get her the time off, etc.

So the day comes, I spring the surprise, we jet on down to WDW and about 10 seconds after arriving both DD and DW come down with a stomach virus. We spent virtually the entire 3 days in our hotel with both of them sick as anything.

Hey, it was the thought that counted, right? ;)

Imagineer1981
03-17-2009, 03:35 PM
on one trip my db-in-law had just broken up with his g/f and had a huge fight with my DW over it in the middle of the West Side...rather embarrassing and awkward

Mousemates
03-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Never really had one truly ruined...thou I did get quite sick on one trip...ear infection, sinus infection, upper respiriatory infection (that turned out to be pneumonia...don't get me started on my trip to the Florida Hospital (ithink thats the right name) clinic outside DTD)...but instead of letting it ruin things I simply turned the rest of the fam loose to go have fun and stayed at the resort lying in the warm Florida sun...choosing to figure if I was going to have to be sick someplace, there was no happier place to be sick in the whole world than WDW.

mrte62
03-17-2009, 04:31 PM
We had a trip that wasn't ruined but it take take quite a twist. We were staying off site when Huricane Charlie hit. Had a free day at the MK (because they closed the park at 1:00pm) went back to our hotel and then the storm struck. Lost power at 6:00pm and had to move to the Doubletree in DD the next day - after a morning at EPCOT:mickey:

Check in and went back to HS for H&V Fantasmic Dinner Package. A truly wild day.

kid@heartforever
03-17-2009, 05:24 PM
The trip wasn't completely ruined, but when we went for Easter a few years back, a cold front came through and on top of that we all had sinus infections!!!:ill: It was so wind and cold! Being from Louisiana and always going to Florida in the summer, we know how to survive the heat, but freezing, not so much!!! It did warm up eventually, and with some meds the trip did end on a good note!:mickey:

NewDVCowner
03-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Again, like most people are saying, it wasn't ruined, but I was at Disneyland with my whole family (mom, three sisters and a brother) and we were sharing a suite at the DL hotel. Every single one of us caught some sort of flu like bug. It was horrible, you were litterally sitting on the toilet with a garbage can in your lap, if you get my drift. :sick: So, six very sick people in a hotel room, close quarters and only one bathroom. I felt really bad for house keeping, or at least I did afterwards, at the time I didn't really feel much of anything at all. Fortunately it passed quickly, after 24 hours we were all feeling great again and were back at the park.

DisneyFr33k
03-17-2009, 06:46 PM
This didn't ruin it completely, but on our way down to Florida on the plane, my DS (9) began grabbing his ear with pain. Upon landing and checking in to POP, they told me that any of the parks have nurses who can check his ears. So, we went on to AK and went to the nurses station. They told us that they don't have the tool to look in ears and that he would have to go to the nearest urgent care. They looked at him and said that since he was not in pain at that moment (it stopped once the plane landed) and no fever, that it was due to his congestion. They gave him a decongestant and we went on our way. By 9:00 that night, he spiraled down to a fever over 102 and shakes. Vomiting soon began. Being a weekend, the urgent cares were closed. I called guest services and POP connected us to 911 - off to the Celebration Hospital on site via ambulance. I have to say, on the positive side, POP was very good at sending a security guard up to our room and soon after the resort manager appeared to let us know that they will pay all ambulance fees - standard Disney policy. They even paid for the cab ride back to the resort once DS was treated at the hospital and released at 3am the next morning.There is also a pharmacy that delivers to all resorts. Good to know Disney takes care of its guests. Side bar - when the antibiotic didn't arrive on time for my DS, POP added a counter service for free for our whole family. Additionally, they called our room checking on my son several times in the days following offering to deliver anything to our room to help speed up his recovery.

So began our trip rough. But within a day or two, DS was better and we had a great trip!

Hats off to POP and how Disney takes care of their guests.

AndrewJackson
03-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Many, many years ago. I was camping at FW with my parents and siblings. I was around 10 yrs old. It was in the summer, and it rained and poured pretty much the entire trip. We were in a tent. I remember the water actually flowing from one side of the tent to another. We finally gave up and got a hotel for one night, hit the MK the next day, then left early. My siblings and I could not believe we were actually leaving WDW early. I don't know how many quarters we went through at the comfort station drying clothes.

Fast forward about 10 years. I was in college, and again at WDW with my parents and siblings. I was in the middle of trying to break up with my girlfriend. Long story, but suffice to say there was some communication problems. My girlfriends dad worked for American Airlines. She could fly standby for practically nothing. I remember being at the pool at FW when there is a page over the loud speaker to go to the house phone. They connect me and "surprise, I am here!" :rolleyes: That was NOT good! I ended up dumping her on the ferry boat between the TTC and MK.

brad192
03-17-2009, 10:57 PM
I've been really lucky with all my trips, until the last one.:(

I was there on a 10 day trip in December, but 3 days into my trip I had contracted a norovirus & it kept me down for the better part of 2 days, not including the recovery time of another full day, where I couldn't stray very far from a restroom.;) Eww...

I still had a great time, but it sure put a damper on the whole trip.:shake:

Dragongirlx
03-18-2009, 04:56 AM
I have had rotten colds a couple of times but my trip nearly got ruined last year thanks to my Dad's Girlfriend.

They were in Florida at the same time and offered to take me and my sister shopping off site because my sister has always wanted to do that (i'd never leave the world if it was me).
Anyway from the mminute we got to the mall all she wanted to do was go to shops she wanted and wouldn't let us go anywhere. We spent 2 hours in the build a bear workshop while she choose a bear and accessories and we couldn't even go and look at shops while she was in because she was scared we'd lose her (we all have phones).
My sister didn't even to get to look at what she wanted and we were going for her.
To top everything off she got us lost on the way back to the world by contradicting every direction I gave my dad - to the point I lost my temper and snapped at her. She then sulked for 2 weeks after ( and this is a grown woman)
I was so annoyed because the trip was supposed to be for my sister and she didn't get to enjoy it plus it wasted a whole day when we could have been in a park or even at downtown disney :mad:- but I didn't let it ruin the rest of the holiday.
My dadf and is g/f are supposed to be going back around the same time as us and my dad and I have agreed it would be better for all if we didn't meet up

grumpyguy
03-18-2009, 07:02 AM
i seem to have more patience at disneyworld than in the "real" world.
i try not to let things bother me there.i have never been to wdw with a large group or anyone from my family who doesn't understand
how precious disney is to me.
easiest way to explain is that we all "get it".
however,i have observed this type of behaviour often by others visitors and i just smile and pass on by.
even waiting for a bus at wdw is still awesome
to me.
suggestion:don't go with a bunch of people!!!!

jaredkari
03-18-2009, 07:57 AM
Way back in 1986 it was my first trip to WDW. We were driving from Missouri down there and I was in 3rd grade. Getting my Dad to go to any crowded place is next to impossible so it was a miracle that we were going. About 3 hours into the road trip I leaned up to the front seat and asked my Mom what this little bump was on my index finger. She looked at it and didn't have any idea. Well by the time we reached Orlando I was covered head to toe in the CHICKEN POX!! My Dad was determined to get this trip over with so he said we were going to the parks anyway. Well WDW wouldn't let me in (I can't blame them). So we ended up at the beach and the salt water was the best thing for the chicken pox. My Dad ended up selling our tickets to some neighbors who went down later that summer.

Good news though, my Dad took us the next summer. And now that I am married, my wife and I have fallen in love with WDW and try to go every year. :mickey:

Aurora
03-18-2009, 12:51 PM
We've had to visit that nice Care Center clinic down the street from Downtown Disney probably about every third trip.

The last time (last year) my 12yo DD got some virus that caused her to have horrendously painful sores that COVERED the inside of her mouth, tongue and lips. Poor thing could barely eat or drink. We finally went to the clinic on our third day (our planned beach day) and they gave her a paste to put on the sores and some Tylenol with codeine and she was better within a few days.

We actually had a good trip and forgot all about this until we watched the video recently and saw her trying to talk. She was miserable then, but of course now it's funny.

WDWNut02
03-18-2009, 01:03 PM
It is darn near impossible to ruin a Disney trip! I went with my sis and bro for a 4 day trip, during tropical storm Faye! It rain the ENTIRE time :mad:. On the last day the sun came out, we only got enjoy it on the way to the airport. The funny part is that we still had such a good time that I hardly ever think about the nonstop rain. :mickey:

crltkcagle
03-18-2009, 01:05 PM
We had a halloween party ruined back in Sept 07 because it was rained out. Got our money back but I really wanted to see the show :(

4ubie1
03-18-2009, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't say my trip to WDW was ruined ('cause let's face it..i was in WDW!:joy: ) but one trip I took with a friend and his family was less than perfect. Well these people were fun and all but since they go every year, they sortof raced :walk: through everything. I like to go at a more leisurely pace and soak everything in. So at about day 3 of our marathon, I asked if it was cool that my friend and I go off on our own for a bit. We ended up eating and drinking our way around EPCOT which is always :cloud9:

dteed
03-18-2009, 01:40 PM
This didn't ruin it completely, but on our way down to Florida on the plane, my DS (9) began grabbing his ear with pain. Upon landing and checking in to POP, they told me that any of the parks have nurses who can check his ears. So, we went on to AK and went to the nurses station. They told us that they don't have the tool to look in ears and that he would have to go to the nearest urgent care. They looked at him and said that since he was not in pain at that moment (it stopped once the plane landed) and no fever, that it was due to his congestion. They gave him a decongestant and we went on our way. By 9:00 that night, he spiraled down to a fever over 102 and shakes. Vomiting soon began. Being a weekend, the urgent cares were closed. I called guest services and POP connected us to 911 - off to the Celebration Hospital on site via ambulance. I have to say, on the positive side, POP was very good at sending a security guard up to our room and soon after the resort manager appeared to let us know that they will pay all ambulance fees - standard Disney policy. They even paid for the cab ride back to the resort once DS was treated at the hospital and released at 3am the next morning.There is also a pharmacy that delivers to all resorts. Good to know Disney takes care of its guests. Side bar - when the antibiotic didn't arrive on time for my DS, POP added a counter service for free for our whole family. Additionally, they called our room checking on my son several times in the days following offering to deliver anything to our room to help speed up his recovery.

So began our trip rough. But within a day or two, DS was better and we had a great trip!

Hats off to POP and how Disney takes care of their guests.

Anyone who gripes about the Disney service needs to read your post. Sorry for your experience but kudos to Disney. This is why I keep going back.

j&j
03-18-2009, 01:44 PM
have memories of many special trip sone is the worse. Lost my husband my soulmate. Disney was wonderful the hospital the pits,

remember the good times and go more than once.

dteed
03-18-2009, 01:44 PM
2 trips ruined by hurricannes. Labor Day 2004(baseball tournament) we had to leave saturday morning after a thursday arrival, planned on leaving tuesday. The next Year (baseball tournament) Katrina hit home 2 days before our departure, need I say more?

wdwfansince75
03-18-2009, 02:01 PM
We have lots and lots of pictures, records of trips from the first one.....and everyone is always smiling! Except for one short trip with DW and I, our crowd was never less than 6, and for our Christmas 2000 trip, was 16. Yes, there were "distractions".....like tearing the muffler off of our motorhome in Ft. Wilderness....But none of our trips were ruined.....most were better than we expected, and all were great! And we have gone with infants as young as 4 months, and even with DFIL...although I must admit, on that one trip, his snoring did bother DBiL and his wife.....DBiL finally dragged the mattress from the daybed, and slept in the hallway one night.....but we laughed about the experience the entire drive back to MD.

Zawadi
03-18-2009, 03:13 PM
A few years ago my parents were planning to take my sister and her daughter to WDW. Unknown to them, DW and myself had also planned a trip to surprise them during their visit. After the best part of 10 months of planning the surprise whilst keeping it a secret, we got the news that my father was to go in to hospital. At that point we had to reveal the secret. We still met up with DS & DN in WDW.

Gator
03-18-2009, 03:21 PM
A trip is ruined only if you let something ruin it. And I nearly did just that. I took a talley and found that out of 26 bus trips, I had to wait 21 times for someone in a motorized scooter (complete with family) get loaded on the bus before everyone else. I had quite a bit of rage and even sent a letter to Disney concerning my disgust. I had a great time, but this situation nearly ruined the trip for me. I've even considered going to Disneyland next time so I don't have to deal with the bus service.

DANAM
03-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Time before last when we went for :mpumpkin:Halloween we had a very rocky start. We drove in from New Olreans about 12 hours give or take with 2 kids. We left at 5 am and at about 8 am I realize that we had left the stroller sitting right in the middle of our driveway. Since it was dark when we left I guess we didn't notice it. Well by the time we got to Lake city I was over the fact that I would be buying a double stroller for all 8 days we where there. Luckily this was before the big stroller increase.
So we got to our hotel around 5pm and where off to the park. We drive to the parks not really impressed with the busses. My husbands impatient. Any way we get off the monorail to MK and I realized I forgot my camara in the car. So we all take the monrail back to the car and are on our way back to MK. So my DH said wouldn't it be funny if the camara didn't work. We ladies you could imagine the face I gave him, when I checked my less than a year old camara to see if it worked. Guess what it didn't work. Right at that point I start to cry. Right there on the monorail platform. I had just gotten over the stroller thing and then this. And I'm not the frugal one he is. I told my husband lets go back home. I really wanted to drive the 12 hours back home right then.
It was a Kodak so I thought since Disney has Kodak camara's maybe they could repair it. So we go and rent the strollers for the days we would be there $185 and head to the camara place right at the entrance of MK. Needless to say they couldn't fix it but told me the lense was stuck close and it would have to be sent off for repair. So since the price of disposables are so expensive my husband said just buy a new digital camara in Disney and believe it or not it was under $200. And since I had a simular model all my stuff was compatable.
So we hadn't been at Disney for less then a hour and never made it down main street and spent almost $400 bucks. Everything turned around we had a great trip and I took about 3000 picts with my new camara. I really liked that camara.

SandmanGStefani24
03-18-2009, 11:11 PM
i have to agree with most here, it's darn near impossible to ruin a WDW trip. Still, I have had some bumps along the way that were tough, but I didn't let them overshadow things. The first was two trips ago when we got rained in at DFW airport (bad weather at DFW? nah, really?!) and rather than spend a restful night at POP the Mrs got about 3 hours sleep at a motel 6 (I got none) and had to fly to Orlando at 5:45 in the AM. We were able to get half a day at AK instead of a full day but it was still ok.

Trip before last, I planned for weeks, and then the day before I was to leave, got sick. (just my luck) But, after a lot of emergen-c, vitamins and throat lozenges, (and a few good screams on Space Mntn!) the cold was kicked!

Last trip my keycards stopped working and I got locked out of my room at ASM at 12:15 AM. I had to wait until 1:10 AM for someone to show up to let me in!!!:mad: To make matters worse the front desk didnt seem to care one bit. Very poor showing, and since most problems can be solved with good customer service this was a time to shine and they let me down big time. I won't be back to ASM, but it was still a good trip and I didn't want one thing to cover up a great trip.

A few rough patches here and there, but WDW can make up for almost anything/ :number1:

Ksmith75
03-19-2009, 11:44 AM
We never had a ruined Disney trip - I did get sick on day 6 with our 9 day trip last year - the onset of what was looking like bronchitis (which I got on our honeymoon too in 2006 :cool:) - but I took cough/cold medicine and sucked it up - boy was I tired and not feeling well - but we still went to the parks and did everything we planned and I didnt complain. The last day in epcot - my husband went to test track to get our Fps and I met him at Soarin (he got there like 3 minutes after i got there!) that was the only time I knew I couldnt hot foot that one. But I still had a blast and loved it....

Nance
03-19-2009, 02:12 PM
My friends ruined my (and of my family) trip last year.... We had a very long flight (about 12 hours) before we landed on MCO last October. I asked my friend if they wanted an upgrade for their seats but their seats were ok, at least that was what they say before we went boarding :drama: After about 30 minutes (we were flying between the Netherlands and England) they started complaining :mad: It even got worse during our vacation.

My mom was doing the laundy and we had a deal; my mom will be washing and ironing the clothes and the rest of our family and the 2 "friends" will keep the house clean. Unfortunately it was my dad, sister and I keeping the house clean. Asking the friends to help us wouldn't help :ack: They just sit back and enjoy that someone else was doing their laundy...

It became :blowup:. So I told my friends to get their own car etc. so they got their "own" vacation. Now were back in the Netherlands and I have lost contact with them, I'm glad too :secret: They were not worth it.

Last November we decided we would go back (as a family) and it will be this Christmas :santa3:

paragon
03-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Our trip wasn't totally ruined, but I will say that the world changed that day. We were on our last day of our trip at WDW, woke up and watched some TV, and saw the news. On our way across bay Lake on the boat, we were turned back to the transportation center.
It was September 11.

GBBT
03-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Let's just say we(DW,DS and I) do not go with MY family anymore.We go by ourselves and have a ball every time.:thumbsup:

iDisney
03-19-2009, 10:42 PM
My worst trip by far was my last one in December. My friend was an absolute nightmare to travel with! She never had anything good to say. The lines were too long. The wait for the bus was too long. The park was too crowded. This (insert random item here) is too expensive. The constant sighing, annoyed seat squirming, and eye rolling was enough to make anyone scream.

It gets better.

We had reservations at Sci-Fi and when we got there, there was noting she wanted. Never mind the fact that I tried to send her the menus on Intercot to the places we were going to dine. She couldn't be bothered to look at them.

She spent the whole time texting someone who she didn't even like at the beginning of the trip. To make it even better, most of the texts were complaints about something or other. She would tell me one thing, and text another. She flat out lied the whole trip. (I know because I read the messages when she was taking a shower. :thedolls:) When we were at the American Adventure, she sent a text message that I read later complaining about seeing it. It was something along the lines of "I live here. Why would I want to see a show about it?" At one point, we were going to another of the countries in WS and she said "If they have a show, I don't wanna watch it!" (We had seen the one at Norway and France, I believe.) I snapped. I said something not so family-friendly to her and didn't talk to her for a couple of hours. The only reason it didn’t last longer was because we managed to get separated in Japan.

The real kicker:

The only thing she had to pay for was her plane ticket! I paid for everything else! That alone should have earned some gratitude I would have thought. Apparently not. When the plane landed back home, we couldn’t drop her off fast enough!

Oh, and my $350 digital camera broke while we were standing in line waiting for the MVMCP parade.

DisneyPrincess21
03-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Have you ever been to WDW and your trip has been ruined by any reason?? Not completely ruined but something or someone during your trip just didnt let you have a great trip?

Well, I haven't talked about it since it happened because it makes me too sad to think about it, But on our last night we planned to go to mk late and stay till extra magic hours at 3am. We got there around 7:30pm And headed over to carousel of progress. I barely made it through the show. As soon as it let out, i ran to the nearest bathroom. I was feeling very very sick. So I had to go out to my family and tell them i was too sick to stay and we had to leave. We were only in the park like 30-45mintues. And it was our only full night we had planned at mk, So i didn't get to see spectromagic. or see wishes again (btw is my favorite fireworks show) The good news is i went to the wheelchair rental people, because we had just rented my dad his ecv for the night, And they talked to a manager and gave us a full refund on our money. and i went and talked to a cm about us leaving because i was sick. And he was Very Very kind and gave us a credit on our ticket, So it was like we were never there. I was very great full for that, Because at least we didn't lose any money. But I was still needless to say very upset. And i have to admit I cried the whole ferry ride back to parking lot and the whole way home :sad::cry::sob: It was a terrible way to end the trip, And I have felt very let down and sad ever since. But luckily we have our upcoming trip set for 12/04-12/11 So I am very excited! But it isn't coming quick enough :(

GoofyGirl18
03-20-2009, 07:32 AM
One of my uncle's dying wishes to my mom was "take the entire family to Disney World". In fall of 2004, we all went to Disney World. It was my parents, teenage sister, my husband & my son. My DH & I are on the go people & my parents are very laid back. It didn't mesh well. We had a very good time, but there was tension all week & one outburst at Epcot at the end of the week.

Granny Jill A
03-20-2009, 02:00 PM
I was in WDW in Dec 2000 and wanted to see the wonderful Millenium parade. I really wanted to stay and watch it, but my husband was impatient to get out of the crowd. I managed to glimpse a little before he started walking toward the exit. I regret to this day that I did not stay and see the whole thing.

P.S. He's now my ex-husband ;)

DisneyPrincess21
03-20-2009, 02:49 PM
P.S. He's now my ex-husband ;)

I can see why, he sounds self-centered :secret: :D

hughdoc
03-22-2009, 07:28 AM
A trip to Disney is never totaled ruined.
However, last year on the second Tuesday of our vacation my DW's grandmother passed away.
We got the news and my wife did her best to enjoy Wednesday. She was torn between leaving early to attend the funeral or staying with me and the dog. After all was said and done, my wife flew home on Thursday. I spent Thursday Night in MK by myself (DW insisted), than drove our truck and travel trailer 19hours home.
Our trip was not ruined, but it did end on a bad note.

SingingPixie
03-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Like many others, I wouldn't call this trip "ruined," but it was definitely disappointing. I had gone in January 2006 with my now-ex, who had never been. His family didn't really do the whole big vacation thing, so I was determined to give him a good time. Well, he complained the entire time. I had taken our tickets to get FPs at RnRC, and told him to wait for me at ToT. He ended up going into the line without me, so I waited for him at the entrance (wasn't sure if he had gone to the bathroom or something, so figured staying put would be the best solution). My cell had died, so all I could do was wait. 15 mins later he came out of the line and screamed at me for not pushing past people in the line to catch up to him. How was I to know he had actually gotten in line? The yelling was so bad I ended up in tears. Great way to start a trip. The rest of the week continued in a similar vein.

Ironically, after we broke up he told me what a good time he'd had. To little, too late!

disneyboundagain
03-22-2009, 09:24 AM
I never thought it would be possible to have a bad time in DW, but I learned better last Dec. Less than 24 hours before we left, I lost my job of 10 years, completely unexpectedly. Then, as soon we checked in, I came down with a virus. I was as sick as a dog for 2 days at Universal, 1 day at Sea World, and the first 6 days at Disney. It wasn't until the last day at Disney that I started to physically feel better, but I was still pretty distraught over losing my job.

I've had a pressed penny of the Contemporary in my wallet since the day we left. I'm not sure why. I guess its my daily motivation to strive to make sure we go back again this year. I've promised myself that we will go again this year, and make up for last year and have a great time.

PetefromRI
03-22-2009, 09:43 AM
I wasn't going to post this but here goes anyhow.4 years ago my wife and I decided to take our first trip together without kids since our honeymoon to celebrate our 25th.My son was down there with the H.S. marching band so we thought that we'd see him while we were there.The first day we arrived in the early evening and went to Epcot and the second day we saw our son march down Main Street U.S.A..We decided to go back to the CBR for a swim and then to Epcot for dinner.About 4 P.M. I called my parents back home to tell them that we were fine and having the time of our lives.When my Mom answered the phone she sounded kind of funny.That's when she told me that my Dad had died in his sleep that afternoon and that he was still in the bed,she had just found him about an hour earlier.One of my brothers was there at the time and her best friend was also there so at least I knew she was with people that loved her.I was in complete shock.My Dad just had a physical about 2 weeks prior and the doctor said that he was in excellent shape,he was 72 years old.
So we took a flight home the next day(Northwest charged us a couple hundred to change our flights,that's another story).We decided not to tell our son until he got home from his trip,my father was the one that drove him to the school for his trip the day before,our flight left before his school trip flight left.So that was a very sad time for us and Disney was his favorite place in the world.It was tough being in Disney after hearing that news because everything there reminded me of him.Thank God that I have an awesome wife that really took care of things at the front desk and took care of me while we were there because I was just in shock.I do have to say that the staff at Disney really,really made it easier on us during our time of need and I'll never forget the manager at the CBR.They really went out of there way to help us.
On a happier note,we've been back quite a few times since.I'm glad that it didn't ruin it for life for us.I kind of look at Disney as a sort of shrine to my Dad and we can't wait to go back in May with my brothers family and our Mom.

Brownie54
03-22-2009, 11:16 AM
My dw had a gall blader attack the night before we were to leave for Disney for a week. She felt so bad about ruining the vacation. I really felt bad for her. Having to have surgery and guilt on top of that. The next time we went it was more special as I think we were even more appreciative.

johnO
03-22-2009, 12:27 PM
I feel really bad for those who get all the way down to WDW and get sick and have to lay in bed the whole time!!!

Daddy Mouse
03-22-2009, 01:42 PM
We had a trip planned for about a year DD would be done playing softball and DS was not going to play Baseball, until one of the coaches came over to the house and he needed just one player to fill out the roster. It was not because DS was a talented player. The ball schedule was going to be okay because his season should be over. It just so happened, their last game was rained out and rescheduled for the day we left. We decided we could leave later pulling a travel trailer 1200 miles. We would leave a few hours later than planned. The events began to happen.

1. Battery died on DW’s car. I had to unhook the trailer and go jump start her car.
2. Baseball game went into extra innings when DS got his only hit in about 30 plate appearances. He usually walked because of an extremely small strike zone.
3. Four innings later and night is falling (no lights at this park) DS gets hit in the mouth with a line shot he didn’t see.
4. A broken nose, swelling, two black eyes and 7 hours later we are on the road.
5. 8 days at FW and we celebrate DS, DD, and DW’ birthdays and the trip is going well. despite our rough beginning. The DS comes down with some bug that keeps him vomiting quite often.
6. I kept taking DD around the parks so at least she could enjoy her time. DW chose to stay with DS.
7. We leave with a sick child and blow a tire Just North of Atlanta on a Sunday at 10:00 pm. Thank God for AAA. 5 hours later just as a storm is hitting we are on the road. I was certain DS was cursed and we would never travel with him again.

I guess our trip wasn’t ruined but it was an adventure.

Spacegirl
03-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Way back when my husband and I started coming to Disney as a couple we decided to stay at a hotel, not sure if I can mention it here or not but it rhymes with "Lights Inn Maingate". It was dirty and made for a terrible trip when we were not in the parks. Some people say that you are not in the room that much so who cares but to me it does make a difference. We were on a tight budget and could not afford to go to another hotel. We probably would have been better off staying at home or planned better and stayed on site!

CaptSmee
03-22-2009, 10:43 PM
The last year has not been kind to us at WDW. Last May my brother had a stomach bug 2 says into our vacation putting a strain on everything. The in Jan my mother caught bronchitius, which turned into pneumonia by the time we got home and sister had a stomach bug the last 2 days we were there. Pretty much put a damper on things...:(

TheVBs
03-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Getting sick on vacation is the WORST! HUGS for everyone who's experienced it.

Our less than perfect WDW trip happened when our DD (then 4 1/2) had just been seriously ill and hospitalized. She'd been when she was 2 and loved everything. When we took her this second time we were dealing with a lot of unexpected fears that kept us from doing a lot. But, I have to say that when we got the pictures back from that trip, there were a lot more genuine smiles than I remembered. :mickey:

blondeinbrandon
03-23-2009, 02:43 PM
I think each of my family members has gotten sick on a WDW trip, but we live close by and our trips don't usually last long. But illness and travel are worst.
The only trip of mine that was Ruined was about 3 years ago. I had booked 7 days for spring break trip. We usually only spent 3-4 days so this was going to fun! But for years my inlaws had said how much they wanted to go with our boys.
So I changed the ressie to 4 nights in a cabin and paid for their tickets (which they couldn't afford) and DH and I surprised them. It cost about the same as our 7 nights would have.
Well..... never should have done it.
The first day arrived at the cabins (which was a first for us) and MIL said "You like this????"
Um YEAH!
Then we were planning MK and MIL said "They have nothing for us, it's only good for kids." Well, seeing as our boys were 6 & 7 YES it's FUN for THEM! That's basically how the whole trip went. Worse one ever. But at least DH agrees NEVER again!
:thedolls:

em-n-mia's-mommy
03-24-2009, 10:44 AM
In 2001 i went and stayed at the GF with my aunt uncle and 2 cousins. I was 18 at the time and they told me they were taking me as a graduation present. The only stipulation was that because they were there because of my aunts job there were nightly business meetings and that i had to watch my cousins every night who at the time were 5 and 8. Now mind you this was right around july 4th and the crowds were horrible. I was in the parks by myself with these 2 little kids. I could obviously do it now with no problem but then i was not experienced in the kid department. I was so worried the entire time that i was going to lose one of them. The last night of the trip i found out that i was not watching these kids for them to go to business meetings. I was watching their kids so that they could go to dtd and get drunk every night. I would not have minded had they been up front with me, but they werent. Also disappointing was we did nothing i wanted to do the whole time. My uncle said to my aunt that we should do something that i wanted to do and he asked me and i wanted to go to mgm. My aunt ignored him and we spent most of our trip in the magic kingdom. That was the most miserable trip i can remember.

mrsgaribaldi
03-24-2009, 10:51 AM
I've never had a trip ruined either. After a few trips DH was hospitalized for various things and once his dad was when we got home but the trips were never ruined:mickey: ;)

jcvalenti
03-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Never had a WDW trip ruined ... but after my 2005 trip I had the next 2 years of my life tied up when we brought home a little unexpected souveniour (who just turned 3 last week)

EJS-Houston
03-24-2009, 12:25 PM
I had to cancel/postpone a trip for a feline family member who was ill and not long for this world...but I'm pretty good about not letting anyone or anything "ruin" my DisneyWorld experience once I'm there.

Daisy'sMom
03-24-2009, 12:54 PM
We were there for a week, staying at the Poly. We had no children then, but I was 9 weeks pregnant. We were walking down Main Street when I realized something was not right. I spent two days in the hospital and then we went home. It was a sad time for us but the next time we walked down Main Street, I was holding my 6 month old son.
There was an almost bad trip when we thought my little three year old autisic nephew was lost at our resort. Thank GOD Disney castmembers found him playing in a puddle within ten minutes.

Daisy'sMom
03-24-2009, 01:02 PM
A trip is ruined only if you let something ruin it. And I nearly did just that. I took a talley and found that out of 26 bus trips, I had to wait 21 times for someone in a motorized scooter (complete with family) get loaded on the bus before everyone else. I had quite a bit of rage and even sent a letter to Disney concerning my disgust. I had a great time, but this situation nearly ruined the trip for me. I've even considered going to Disneyland next time so I don't have to deal with the bus service.

I take it you do not have much patience and you do not have a handicapped person in your family? You're at Disney, relax and enjoy what you have, Gator. You just don't know when you might be one of those families.

homeschool mom
03-24-2009, 01:04 PM
On our trips in Dec. 2004 and April 2005 we got hit with sickness! In Dec., everyone but 2 in our family of 7 ended up with the 24 hour stomach virus. It hit every other day and we were all :ack: for a day/night. We stayed at Pop Century and the mousekeeping was wonderful. They came at 2 in the morning after our 5 year old DS :ack: all over the bed and the floor. In April of 2005, DH was sick for the whole trip. He made it to MK when we arrived and then to AK on our last day, but he was in the hotel sick the rest of the week. One DD was also sick for a few days that week. Those two trips weren't very fun for all of us, but I learned that I could manage all of the kids on a trip.

lockedoutlogic
03-24-2009, 01:09 PM
ruined is such a harsh word....

but i've have had trips be "less than stellar" because of things such as the dining plan of a few years ago....and i'm really anxious to see if the giveaway package deals they've been peddling for the last few months are going to muck up the parks at the wrong times....

I prefer the '"feel" not be tinkered with....it's why i choose to give WDW repeat business....

so basically....the constant attempt to pack the gates/hotels/restaurants like sardines can "significantly impinge upon the feel of enjoyment"

Gooftroop5
03-25-2009, 11:23 AM
I thought I would never had a trip ruined when I went to Disney after all I was at Disney. Well last year I did. The entire trip was ruined. We went with family & friends. I thought the trouble was going to be with my brother & his family actually other then a few things (which wouldn't have ruined the trip just minor annoyances) things were fine with them. It was the friends we brought. I wil try to keep it brief. It was a 20 minute minimum wait for the 2 ladies to go to the bathroom (they were there practically every hour) Trip ruining to a point becasue we didn't get to do as much as we could because of it. It was the guy. The guy yelled at me because I didn't tell him to eat dinner one night & they were hungry. He could open his mouth to yell at me afterward why didn't he open it to tell me they were hungry. He screamed & got into ds#1 face for something he thought he did but didn't. It was something that wasn't even a reason to yell at ds#1 about. He thought ds put something in his mouth. It took a full minute to even find out why he was screaming at him for. It scared ds#1, dd & me. He yelled at both dss when they took them minature golfing because they played out of turn. He snapped at my mom when she asked why he didn't join them on a ride. We got accused of treating him like an after thought (wouldn't you after you get yelled at?) He pouted because we wouldn't force ds#2 to ride & sit with him all the time. He is ds#2's godfather. He thought it meant exclusive rights to him. We had to tell them when we were leaving in the am, when we were eating meals, what to ride etc. We told them they could have time to themselves they didn't have to be with us but he had a fit if we did anything without him. There is more but these are the worst of it. (sorry it isn't that brief either.:blush:)

They want to go again with us. They had so much fun. They will not be going now or ever with us again. We try to avoid them at all possible. My mom still is friends with him. He has apologized to her. However he has not said anything to me except rude comments or something that might seem nice but has a little jab in there. I don't care. He is :crazy:

rainbodragon
03-30-2009, 03:34 PM
i have the worst disney world story (and most embarrassing!)

in 1991 my THEN bf the drunk, decided to sneak booze into mk and was soon wasted and obnoxious so i ditched him, while carrying all of our $. he went to security and told them i had stolen his wallet :mad:!

i talked to the security guy who was very nice but said i had to leave with him since we came in together (to be clear, i had not had a drop of alcohol). so he was escorted to the ferry and i was escorted to the monorail after making it clear i wasnt going anywhere with him.

it was the most humiliating experience ever. i didnt go back to wdw until 2000 :-o

Granny Jill A
04-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Like many others, I wouldn't call this trip "ruined," but it was definitely disappointing. I had gone in January 2006 with my now-ex, who had never been. His family didn't really do the whole big vacation thing, so I was determined to give him a good time. Well, he complained the entire time. I had taken our tickets to get FPs at RnRC, and told him to wait for me at ToT. He ended up going into the line without me, so I waited for him at the entrance (wasn't sure if he had gone to the bathroom or something, so figured staying put would be the best solution). My cell had died, so all I could do was wait. 15 mins later he came out of the line and screamed at me for not pushing past people in the line to catch up to him. How was I to know he had actually gotten in line? The yelling was so bad I ended up in tears. Great way to start a trip. The rest of the week continued in a similar vein.

Ironically, after we broke up he told me what a good time he'd had. To little, too late!

Wow! It's good you broke up with him because that type of behavior just gets worse. Sorry you had your good time ruined.

Granny Jill A
04-17-2009, 04:00 PM
I can see why, he sounds self-centered :secret: :D

Yup. It's all about him :D

amd780
04-18-2009, 11:51 AM
I wouldn't exactly call this trip ruined, but it was definitely the least-wonderful of all of our trips. We went down to FL for my cousin's wedding during Easter week 2001, and decided to take a side trip to WDW. We weren't prepared for the heavy crowds that week, so we ended up feeling very overwhelmed, and also didn't get to experience many attractions because the lines were so long. From that year forward, we decided to only travel to WDW during "off-season" ! :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
04-18-2009, 12:20 PM
I would never say a trip was actually ruined... I would say a few things didn't go as planned, and problems arose... But, in the end, I had a great time and that is all that matters to me..

handmaidenofprincesses
04-18-2009, 03:34 PM
While my trip wasn't "ruined," the beginning of it was vastly unpleasant...

I was 17 and it was the first time I had traveled w/out my family. My friend and I went to WDW to celebrate our HS grad/birthdays. I am super organized when it comes to this sort of thing and I had gone over the checklist of everything we needed to bring several times. She claimed to have everything she needed. We arrived at Pop and went to DTD. Then we had dinner at Raglan Road. Suffice it to say every thing she ate (a snack in DTD, then appetizer, entree, dessert and part of my dessert at Raglan) was either fried or heavy on the dairy. That night she started vomitting, so hard that she would brown out. "Oh, did I mention I'm allergic to fried foods and dairy?" I wanted to strangle her. She assured me she'd be fine. Two days later, she was worse. So we went to the urgent care site. Well, first they refused to treat her because we were both 17 and they needed a guardian's permission. Luckily, I had brought signed, notarized documents from our parents. Then they asked for her health insurance card (which had been on that checklist that I had gone over and over) Did she have it? Not a chance. Her mother had to fax a copy of it to the center before they'd treat her, and she took her sweet time doing it as well. The worst thing though, was when we went in and saw the doctor, my friend flat out lied about why she was sick "I must've caught a bug." I was so annoyed, I jumped right in and told the Dr. the truth, and she prescribed something for her. My dad ended up flying down the next morning (a week after having a hernia operation) so that I would have someone to go to the parks with me. It was peak season and there weren't anymore rooms to be had, and Pop doesn't allow roll away beds, so we put the mattress on the floor and I slept on the mattress and my dad slept on the box spring. My dad and I still had fun overall but yeesh... not one of my better trips!

dreamfinder55
04-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Never had a WDW trip ruined! The only way to ruin a WDW trip is to plan to go and not get to go. :mickey:

:ditto:

TeamJonasSister
04-18-2009, 04:24 PM
I have had a Disney triped ruined once. :(

It was in June of 2005 . We had a group of 18 people and it was Star Wars Weekend. It was horrible. It was so crowded and we had to wait in lines even with fast pass! It was also so hot and I was younger then and I remeber being misserable. I had a awful time and I did not really enjoy the trip at all.

disneyfan56
04-18-2009, 05:32 PM
My less-than-stellar trip was in July 2006. We had moved our trip up because I was scheduled for surgery in the beginning of August.

Well, I found out the day before we were set to leave that I was extremely anemic. My doctor told me that the only way I could go was to use a wheelchair throughout the parks.

I developed such an appreciation for what people go thru who have to use a wheelchair.
I ended up staying in the resort while the rest of the family went to the parks because it just took so much effort to use the wheelchair.

Pally
04-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Ruined, to say the least. Christmas Eve 2006 leaving Epcot at the end of the evening I was hit in the back of my heals by someone pushing a wheelchair. They were non-English speaking, looked at me basically knocked off my feet and kept on walking. I was actually bleeding. I hobbled with my family to the nearest bench basically in shock at what just happened and the lack of caring. Regardless of language barriers, I think you can still convey sympathy. The next day, Christmas Day (my birthday) I had to stay in bed for most of the day. I did not want to miss our ADR's at Crystal Palace so I sucked it up and went. The only good thing I guess is that it poured cats and dogs all day and pretty much stopped around dinner time. We also had a planned Segway tour booked a couple of days later which again made it very difficult. Thankfully, the Segway Tour is amazing and I was able to manage. The rest of our trip I was only able to manage half days with a lot of resting. To make a long story short, when I got back home and had my foot looked at it was a torn Achilles' tendon. I had to recieve five months of physiotherapy. Although, I guess it could have been worse if it was detached. Good thing I am an optomistic person. Unbelievably, in 2008 while traveling to Dusseldorf, Germany, taking the bus from the airport terminal to the parking lot some luggage came flying off a rack and hit me in my other ankle. Can you believe it. Now I have two bad ankles. I had to receive four months of physiotherapy again on this ankle. My husband is wondering what might happen this trip Aug 2009 to WDW. I hope nothing. I have to stop being in the wrong place at the wrong time. :mickey: