PDA

View Full Version : Kouzzina replacing Spoodles

kaylamag
03-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Just read that Cat Cora's new restaurant Kouzzina will be replacing Spoodles on the boardwalk later this year.

SBETigg
03-17-2009, 11:06 AM
How interesting! I thought Spoodles did pretty well there. The new place sounds good, but replacing Spoodles? That surprises me a bit. But I'm always excited to try new places.

mouseketeer mom
03-17-2009, 11:23 AM
When?? We were never interested in Spoodles..love to try Cat's place.

Luv Eeyore
03-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Spoodles has always been just ok for us - but I definitely want to try Cat's place!

kaylamag
03-17-2009, 11:57 AM
It is supposed to serve mediteranean/greek food.

CanadianWDWFan
03-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Where did you read this? I am interested since we are DVC members at BWV and usually make a stop at Spoodles during our stay.

While I feel that Spoodles could be better it is well suited for the Boardwalk.

kaylamag
03-17-2009, 12:41 PM
I actually read it on twitter from a few different sources.

GothMickey
03-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Where did you read this? I am interested since we are DVC members at BWV and usually make a stop at Spoodles during our stay.

While I feel that Spoodles could be better it is well suited for the Boardwalk.

It is true. Kaylamag is correct with the news.

SallyP
03-17-2009, 02:50 PM
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla., March 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Chef Cat Cora and Disney are joining together to open an exciting new family dining restaurant at Disney's BoardWalk Resort. Kouzzina by Cat Cora will feature a menu of Mediterranean-style cuisine that pays tribute to the chef's Greek roots.

The restaurant, to be owned and operated by Disney, is scheduled to open by fall 2009 in the space currently occupied by Spoodles.

"I am pleased to welcome Cat Cora and her engaging new concept for Kouzzina to the Walt Disney World Resort," said Jay Rasulo, chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. "This collaboration between Cat and Disney represents a significant step in our ongoing commitment to offer unique culinary experiences and choices for our guests."

As a Mississippi native born to a family of Greek restaurateurs, Cora grew up immersed in two different and flavorful cultures, and has taken from that unique background the kitchen "know-how" handed down through generations. The cuisine at Kouzzina (Greek for "kitchen" and pronounced "koo-zee-nah") will showcase Mediterranean cuisine and Chef Cora's philosophy to create simple yet sensational meals.

Cora said that the new restaurant will feature "time-honored recipes passed down from my ancestors, as well as my favorite Greek and Mediterranean dishes that my family loves."

She began working with Disney in 2008 by creating a Disney Video on Demand series to showcase ways to help families develop more healthy eating habits. "I'm extremely excited about this latest extension of my relationship with Disney," she said. "Together, we're going to develop a truly amazing contemporary Mediterranean restaurant."

The first and only female Iron Chef on Food Network's hit show "Iron Chef America," Cora is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America in New York. She also is Executive Chef for Bon Appetit magazine. In addition to hosting the instructional cooking demonstrations for Disney Video on Demand, Cora has been a featured chef at the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival and at Disney's California Food & Wine Festival at Disneyland Resort.

SOURCE Walt Disney World Resort

sillyolbear
03-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Hope they keep the sangria.

Hull-onian
03-17-2009, 06:35 PM
I love Cat Cora, she always does a nice presentation with her meals. I never liked Spoodles anyways. I took my GD there for dinner, and got very :sick:. Almost didn't make it home to Boston. I can't wait for the new restaurant to open. We love the Boardwalk.

Natazu
03-17-2009, 06:37 PM
What's a Kouzzina? Is that like a cufuffle?

Hull-onian
03-17-2009, 06:40 PM

No silly--Kouzzina is Cat Cora's new restaurant on the Boardwalk.

A cufuffle--is the new word of the day.:mickey:

Natazu
03-17-2009, 06:46 PM
No silly--Kouzzina is Cat Cora's new restaurant on the Boardwalk.

A cufuffle--is the new word of the day.:mickey:

Ah. Thanks for setting me straight Jean. ;)

PetefromRI
03-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Good one Jym!

Crow
03-17-2009, 06:58 PM
I wonder how different it will be, as I tried Spoodles for the first time last trip & liked it.
Maybe I wont go in April........

ElenitaB
03-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Kouzzina means "kitchen" in Greek.

I love good Greek food and would jump to try Cat Cora's rendition of some favorite dishes.

mouseketeer mom
03-17-2009, 08:05 PM

Love it!!:)

brownie
03-18-2009, 07:47 AM
We enjoyed Spoodles; I hope this new restaurant is a good replacement.

SallyP
03-18-2009, 07:52 AM
Hope they keep the sangria.

I've never tried their sangria but I sure hope they don't overstock with Greek wines. :wine:

They did have a decent selection of Italian and Spanish wines. Hope it stays that way because we will want to try the new restaurant.

IamBelle
03-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Uh oh, we were planning to go to Spoodles in Aug., but will we be able to now?

Belle_0717
03-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Anyone know when Spoodles is closing and how long it will take for Cat's restaurant to open?

Natazu
03-19-2009, 03:02 AM
Uh oh, we were planning to go to Spoodles in Aug., but will we be able to now?

Anyone know when Spoodles is closing and how long it will take for Cat's restaurant to open?

As of now, there is no set closing date for Spoodles, but the new restaurant is scheduled to open in Fall 2009.

wendy*darling
03-19-2009, 09:15 AM
I liked Spoodles. And I find it very interesting that they need to close a Mediterranean inspired restuarant to open a NEW Mediterranean restaurant. :confused:

Soul_Power
03-20-2009, 02:30 AM
I'm looking forward to eating here during my December trip! Hopefully it still opens in the fall..

Imagineer1981
03-20-2009, 04:01 PM
I would have rather had Cat's restruant be an addition to the boardwalk which so badly needs to be freshened up

ShanPooh
03-21-2009, 12:36 AM
I've never tried their sangria but I sure hope they don't overstock with Greek wines. :wine:

Aww, what's wrong with a little Mavrodaphne now and then? (other than it's almost a port and can sneak up and knock you on your pyga faster than you can say "Opa"!) ;)

TheRustyScupper
03-21-2009, 03:05 PM
I hope it is KouzzinaNonDDP

tinksmom02
03-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Was looking forward to trying Spoodles in September...wonder if this new place will be open by then ("fall" is a purposely vague term I'm sure LOL).

If it's not, can someone recommend another decent Boardwalk-area place for dinner?

Mackflava99
03-29-2009, 09:28 PM
We actually like Spoodles-
its sad to see it go- i do admire Cat Cora so i guess its a change i can deal with-

But we have ADRs for Spoodles ion June- I hope they are not cancelled? what would happen then?

the sangria at Spoodles is terrific- service has always been spectacular. and the food has been excellent-

Also the breakfast is surprisingly good-

we stay at BC alot so Spoodles is our first night dinner place and last day breakfast place...

sad:(

Mackflava99
03-29-2009, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE=mouseketeer mom;1850824]We were never interested in Spoodles..QUOTE]

You should have given it a chance:) its really a great place

DisneyTiff
03-29-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm bummed now. Spoodles is my favorite restaurant at Boardwalk...

:(

IamBelle
04-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Just got off the phone with Disney and they said Spoodles will not close, but Cora's restaurant will just transition into Spoodles without them closing, so you are able to still eat there. (Also she said that it will open late Aug. and Cora would do a cooking thing when it opened.)

tinksmom02
04-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Just got off the phone with Disney and they said Spoodles will not close, but Cora's restaurant will just transition into Spoodles without them closing, so you are able to still eat there. (Also she said that it will open late Aug. and Cora would do a cooking thing when it opened.)

So theoretically I can still keep it on my list for September, I suppose...will make sure to have a backup, though.

Thanks for the update! Much appreciated!

big blue and hairy
04-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Cat Cora's cooking style is not strictly Greek, it's Mediteranean, which includes Greek, Italian, Spanish, etc. with some Cajun thrown in. It should be an interesting restaurant.

Since Spoodles is mediteranian and Kouzzina's is mediteranian, I was initialy wondering how much redecorating would actually be done. With Spoodles not closing but transitioning, it sounds like not much, although I'm sure you'll see Cat's pictures around.

As far as the DDP, I'd be shocked if it were not on the plan, it will remain a Disney-owned restaurant, Cat Cora is basically the consultant creating the menu.

:sulley:

Pop Centurion
04-19-2009, 03:40 PM
And I find it very interesting that they need to close a Mediterranean inspired restuarant to open a NEW Mediterranean restaurant. :confused:
Agreed. I was wondering if it would be nothing more than a glorified name change but reading on I see Cat will actually have influence on the menu.

If it does indeed open late Aug, I will definitely have to give it a try on one of the days we're in DHS since we're not to enthused about the dining choices there.

AllDisney
04-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Last time at WDW we ate at Spoodles. Had not eaten there in awhile and I was not that impressed my second time around. It was good, but that is about it.

Looking forward to trying the new place out. Hope it's open in December when we are there:mickey: