PDA

View Full Version : To Mama Melrose or not, that is the question!

Dizzy for Disney!
03-17-2009, 12:41 AM
My boyfriend and I are planning a night out without my daughter (taking advantage of Kid's Night Out's service). Also, I don't think he realizes we will also be there for our anniversary! :secret:

He had commented on going out to eat at Mama Melrose which he has been to before.
Oh, it is MY first time to DWS by the way!:mickey:

But when I was looking on another board a lot of people, even returning for a second or third time were not impressed with the service and quality and quantity of food.:ack:

So now I am not sure what I should do, I know other restaurants offer the Fantasmic package also (which was no longer available at Mama Melrose). Should we opt out of Mama Melrose? We'll be at DW May 28-June 4 any dining suggestions?

KylesMom
03-17-2009, 12:51 AM
Well, we're big fans of MM. This will be our 10th annual trip, and I think we have a total of four ADRs scheduled there (two for Star Wars Weekends and two for Fantasmic Dinner Packages -at present, we can only schedule one but I'm hoping for a second).

Just like every other restaurant at Disney, you'll have the lovers and the haters. Look at the menu first, and decide if you would like what they have to offer.

DH's favorite is the Calamara appy / Hot Sausage dish, mine is the Tomato/Mozarella appy with the Butcher Tender Steak & DS' is the Artisan Breads & Spreads with the Flatbread. I must add that their sangria is to die for! :mickey: Service at Mama's was the best for both of our Fantasmic meals - over all other TS' we had for our 15-day stay last July/August. :mickey:

We've been frequenting the place since 2002 - there are a lot of Disney establishments we've ditched over the years, but this is certainly not one of them.

tadshome
03-17-2009, 02:52 AM
Our family love Mama Melrose and we could not go to DHS and not eat there. I also agree with Kylesmom that the sangria is amazing:cloud9:

VWL Mom
03-17-2009, 07:44 AM
We really have enjoyed our meals at Mama Melrose and totally agree on the Calamari. More importantly (IMO) your boyfriend has been and requested to go again. Were it me, I would go with his choice for your night out.

SBETigg
03-17-2009, 07:58 AM
I think the Brown Derby would be a better meal and a more romantic experience, but then, I wouldn't see Fantasmic on my romantic evening out, so to each her own. I'm not fond of Disney Hollywood Studios for dining anyway. I prefer to eat at Epcot or in the resorts.

Some of my favorites:
California Grill, Narcoossee's, Grand Floridian Cafe, Marrakesh, Chefs de France, Rose & Crown. With the family, 'Ohana and Boma are also fun.

Happy anniversary and enjoy!

brownie
03-17-2009, 08:08 AM
We've eaten there a couple times and enjoyed it. You may love it there, so I'd at least give it one try. Don't make the meal the determiner of whether you have a good evening out or not; you might even be pleasantly surprised at the dining experience at Mama Melroses.

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-17-2009, 09:27 AM
WE tried it in 2005 and didn't care for it, but it was not so bad as to not give it a second shot...I say try it, everyone's opinions vary anyway....

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-17-2009, 10:02 AM
We're in the group that was really disappointed with MM. The food was OK, nothing special at all, and definately not good, just OK. Same with the service, it wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good either.

The whole experience was just lukewarm, we won't be back, and I wouldn't recommend it for a nice night out, there are so many better places at WDW.

DANAM
03-17-2009, 11:38 AM
THis was one of my families fav's we always went here but out last trip was our last. We waited and waited for a table at 3pm there was no one in the resturant people checked in after us and there we where waiting and waiting right in front of the hostest. I checked on the table 3 times in the 30 min we waited and waited and she said our table wasn't ready. Finally I asked for the manager and apperently our ADR card fell on the floor and no one noticed it. So that's why we hadn't been called. So by that time the tables were full so we waited another 10 or 15 min for the table. We sit down order the waitress was a little lost but we ordered and recieved out apps when the child next to us got sick on the table. I had my head turn but my husband saw the whole thing. The parents were very discrete and didn't bring attention to themselves other than swiftly picking up the child and carrying him away. That poor father sat at the table of 30 min and NO ONE I mean NO ONE that was a employee of the restuarant came by. There was no waitress or manager anything in sight. The man finally got up I have no clue if he paid or what. When our food can I mentioned it to the server and nothing was done about it. So needless to say we will never go back there again. Maybe it was a bad night but it was to much for us.

So I would pick another place. We really like HOllywood and Vine for Dinner there aren't any characters at dinner and the food is great. It's not really romantic but it's a buffet so that may give you some adult time in the park after you eat.

RedSoxFan
03-17-2009, 12:12 PM
We have eaten at Mama Melrose twice and loved it. I would eat there again and will the next time we go.

Dulcee
03-17-2009, 01:07 PM
We've always enjoyed MM. It doesn't have all the disney magic some of the other restaurants have but we've always found the food good and the staff plesant. It's a nicer option then the other restaurants in MGM, aside from the rather pricey (but yummy) brown derby. We're eating there this coming June actually :mickey:

Natazu
03-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Welcome to INTERCOT! We're glad you're here. I like your user ID.

Now, for all that is holy, don't make Mama Melrose your anniversary restaurant.

At Studios, Brown Derby is the only really great restaurant. Outside of the park, a short boat ride away at Boardwalk, is Flying Fish Cafe, a stellar choice for an anniversary meal. If he wants great Italian, you can take the boat over to The Swan and have Il Mulino. It's not as cheap as Mama Melrose but the food doesn't come out of a can and the cheeses were made from... you know... milk.

Most of the great restaurants worthy of a special occasion are at the resorts: California Grill at Contemporary, Citricos and Narcoossee's at Grand Floridian, Jiko at Animal Kingdom Lodge, and Flying Fish mentioned above.

Maleficent's Dad
03-17-2009, 07:43 PM
I used to get on people for the poor reviews of Mama Melrose. It's never been "great" to us, but it's always been "okay."

Fast Forward to this past February (President's Week - exact date: February 15, 2009, DS's birthday). Mama Melrose's was an extreme disappointment... Food was disgusting, service was mediocre... And all this for a boy who wanted nothing more than chicken parmigiana on his tenth birthday followed by Fantasmic!

At least the show that night (Fantasmic!) was good. I can't give any more good reviews of Mama Melrose's. :down:

antnyh
03-17-2009, 09:27 PM
I hate to be a hater, but we didn't like the food there. I tend to not really like much of the table services in DHS, but again that is IMO. My preference for a kid free night would be Cali Grill or Narcoose's. Been to both and would go back. I can't say the same about MM. Either way have a great time!!