PDA

View Full Version : HELP with corned beef

Tinkerbellaella
03-16-2009, 09:54 PM
I normally cook corned beef by boiling it on the stove. This year I will be at work all day and will not have time to cook it unless we want to eat after 9pm... Anyone know if a crock pot works?? Any help:help:

Georgesgirl1
03-16-2009, 10:00 PM
I cooked mine in a crock pot today. I was a little nervous about this since I had never tried it before. I cooked it on the low setting for 8 hours and it worked great.

Happy St. Patty's Day!:gold:

NotaGeek
03-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Put corned beef in crock pot with seasoning packet emptied on beef ... add water barely to cover beef and cook on low all day. 3-4 lbs can take 10 hours.

You can add cabbage for the last 30 minutes or so, but I don't like how it tastes all cooked together, so I normally cook my cabbage in a wok and add some juice from the beef to season with salt and pepper.

You can cook potatoes and carrots with the beef all day as well (place the veggies under the meat), but I roast them in the oven ... I just don't like the corned beef flavoring to overpower the whole dinner.

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-16-2009, 10:39 PM
We always cook our corned beef in the crock-pot. We put the potatos, cabbage and meat in, and about 8 hours later we have a yummy dinner :eat:

Tinkerbellaella
03-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Do you add the potatoes and the cabbage at the same time as the meat? It doesn't get over cooked?

Georgesgirl1
03-17-2009, 04:01 AM
I added the cabbage, carrots, etc. in the beginning but they were a little mushy to my tastes. In the future, I will probably add them in the last hour or so of cooking.

jrkcr
03-18-2009, 03:42 PM
We Gallaghers celebrate St Patricks day in a non-party way. I always read the story/history of St Patrick to the kids, they color pictures of Irish things and do cross-word puzzles of Irish words. And we talk about our ancestry, and their traditions and foods. I am always saddened at how people use this holiday(and many others) as an excuse to party and drink to excess.
ANYWAY...
I cooked my corned beef for about 10 hours in the crock pot yesterday. I added the spice packet and also a handful of whole black pepper and 2 bay leaves, and poured in a BIG can of Guinness and about 1 cup of water.

After 8 hours, I added 4 potatoes cut in half, and carrots about the size of my pointer finger, and wedges of 1 cabbage and 1 onion. I put the cabbage on the top, since it just has to steam and not cook as much as the potatoes and carrots.

After 2 hours, I spooned all the veggies out onto a big platter, a pile of cabbage, a pile of carrots, etc. And one end of the platter I put the shredded beef. Made a very pretty platter!

And YUM!! I hope everyone enjoyed their corned beef too! :gold:

garymacd
03-19-2009, 09:47 AM
I've often wondered: Is there corn in corned beef?

Kenny1113
03-19-2009, 11:27 AM
I too made corned beef and cabbage in the crock pot for St Patricks day. Tasted much better than I expected.