PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Sclerosis and Guest Assistance Pass

AndrewJackson
03-16-2009, 08:58 PM
The family and I are going to WDW in a few days. This is my first trip since being diagnosed with MS. I do pretty well with it, and am taking my Avonex shots once a week. My biggest symptoms are numbness in the feet and weak knees and leg strength. Also, my feet will hurt very badly at the end of a day if I stand too much.

With that said, I would really like to enjoy the parks without a wheelchair. I worry about the looks etc. Honestly, if you looked at me you would have no idea I have a disability.

I am considering hitting the parks early, then taking a long break at the resort, probably from around 1:00 - 5:00 or so, then come back to the parks for a while. Since I will be limited to how much time I can enjoy at the parks, and the fact that standing in line all day would be painful by the end of the day, is it appropriate for me to ask for a guest assistance pass? Are they just going to tell me to get a wheelchair instead? I really do not want to do this.

I am also concerned about the looks I will get when I walk up to the ride and ask for special access. I am not sure I am ready for the rolling of the eyes, etc.

Last question... If I decided to get the guest assistance pass, what type of documentation will I need?

Here we go again...
03-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Since you - like me, look healthy, bring a letter from your doctor. In all of the years that I have been going I have only been asked once, but I was prepared.

If the looks are keeping you from using a chair, I would really re-think that. You will get "looks" wether you are 20 or 60 so be prepaired. YOu have to be comfortable.

The thing to remember is that the GAC does not put you front of line. You are going at a very busy time and they may suggest a wheelchair. On some rides the que is so long that you will feel like you walked a mile. Pluse with schools taking spring breaks you may find that you are still standing 15-20 minutes even with a GAC.

If you have weakness in the legs and feet a chair might make you more comfortable.

Good luck

Hayden's Dad
03-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Couldn't agree more. I would bring the note from your doctor just in case, and don't worry about the looks. If you use the GAC most of the time they put you through the fastpass line so no one knows the differnce other than you may be using a fastpass yourself which won't put you through to the front but may get you a little closer.

Have fun, be comfortable and don't worry about anyone else. You are in the magical place in the world. :mickey:

TheDuckRocks
03-17-2009, 10:23 AM
I was going to say something stupid about not getting upset about "the Looks", I have been using an ECV for 4 years now and "the Looks" can still bother me. And here comes the big but, I also know that I could not be able to do WDW without my scooter. For my independance I prefer using my ECV than a wheelchair. I find that the standing in lines is what will get to me every time. I really would like to see you remember that if your trip gets to be to much for you physically you can always call a rental company and get equipment delivered to you. My last trip my battery would not hold a charge and Walker Mobility had one delivered to me within an hour. Go, enjoy and ignore "the Looks".

Keasmom
03-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Congratuilations on NOT sitting home after that diagnosis. Life is to be lived, no matter the circumstances. I saw a lady in a wheel chair in the parks and she had a marathon style tag on her wheelchair back that stated: "Thank You Organ Donors", so everyone knew why she had a chair. She was recovering from kidney surgery. II have also seen several "I am one of Jerry's Kids" shirts on grown ups and kids alike. If it bothers you, make a sign or a banner, Have T-Shirts made, or just ignore the jerks. It is YOUR vacation, and your money and your time and your life-enjoy it and use all of the shortcuts you can, those were sreated for exactly that reason, because even WDW knows the toll it takes on a weakened body to navigate all that is there.

If anyone says anything, say,"Yeah, I decided to get MS to make it easier to get on rides" Then smile. They will fell like the tailends they are and will be more sympathetic next time.

Marilyn Michetti
03-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Andrew, let me give you a piece of advice that you're going to need one day, (if not now). You can NOT put your health on hold because you're afraid of what people might think seeing you in a wheelchair. With M.S., you can't let yourself get worn out in a hot humid environment.

I was diagnosed with M.S. in 1972, before the super meds came out. My survival with two small children depended on taking care of myself. I used a cane, then Canadian crutches for years before going into a 12 year remission. Now I've got arthritis with deformities. I have two titanium knees, a metal ankle, and rods in my back. My DH and I go to WDW every Dec., and there are times when people look at me funny at bus time.

You're never going to see these people again, and you've got to do what's best for you because you're soooooooo young! I'm an old lady now, but, (as they say), I've been there - done that.:yes: Take the afternoon break you talked about, cause it's a good idea, but don't spend hours in your room because you've worn yourself out.:nono:

You go, and get a wheelchair or ECV and enjoy your trip.:thumbsup:

pianobabe
03-17-2009, 10:16 PM
I can't really expand too much on what other's have said. My brother had MS. To look at him you never would have guessed he had something that ended up being so debilitating.
You have two choices. The first is you can wear yourself out by doing all the walking, standing in line and traveling back and forth for breaks and worrying what others are thinking. The second is getting a chair of some sorts that will help you conserve your energy. You are doing nothing wrong by getting a pass or a chair. You have spent a lot of money on this vacation and there is no reason why you should not enjoy it in the way that works best for you.
You may also want to check with your area branch of the National MS Society for any travel tips they may have. I know, my brother had a lot of problems with heat and they were able to help him get a portable cooling unit.
What ever you decide to do, I hope you have a wonderful trip. Life is too short to be concerned with "looks" from a stranger.

crazypoohbear
03-23-2009, 08:24 AM
My mom has MS and came with us 15 years ago when I was pregnant with DS#2.
She didn't "need" a wheelchair then, like you she could walk some but she used the wheelchair while there because as you know, the HEAT can drain someone with MS like nothing. My mom looks perfectly healthy and she could get in and out of the wheelchair without trouble, leading people to make assumptions.
She also had a HP plate on her car and would get comments at home about parking in a HP spot.
As, I'm sure you know with MS when you walk you sometimes stagger and stumble, just goes with the diagnosis.
Sometime my mom (who was NOT shy and very bold) would yell at people making comments, or giving the "look"
"IT'S OKAY, I'M NOT DRUNK, I HAVE MS"
Now, my mother is in nursing home with dementia, she is 81 and was diagnosed when she was about 45.
I am so happy that she came to disney with us and we all have those memories (even my son who was 4 1/2 at the time)
Please don't worry about using a wheel chair if needed to make the day last longer.
Try to keep a sense of humor when you get the looks or comments. I know it can be hurtful but if you use humor to difuse the situation at the same time you can educate people.
Maybe in the spirit of my mom you coutd put a sign on the wheelchair that say's
I'm not drunk, I have MS"!
Of course if you are a man, they might think you hare in the middle of a gender change!:blush: (MS, Get it) :D
My mom never let this illness slow her down, she made adjustments to her routine and compensated when needed but she had 8 kids and needed to get things done!
Humor goes a long way and is the best medicine.
I hope you have a great trip!