PDA

View Full Version : Adult having tonsils out HELP!!!

deedeenmickey
03-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Has anyone had their tonsils out as an adult? Even the surgeon seemed to be warning me how painful this would be! I have a Disney trip on June 3 first time with the DDP. Will I be ready to go by then if the surgery is in the next 2 weeks? How bad is it?:confused:

betteratmk
03-16-2009, 08:50 PM
:ill: heavens yes, it should not take that long to recover. But yes adults recover slower than children. :D Just make sure to drink even if it hurts because when the site gets dry it hurts more!! Jello, yougurt, popsicles ect!!!

JPL
03-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Going to pop this over to the Water Cooler where you will get a better response :thumbsup:

mouseketeer mom
03-16-2009, 09:09 PM
It is going to be painful. You will need at least a full month to feel like yourself again. My son had his out on New Years Eve. My daughter 2 years before that. Both had two very different recoveries, but the ENT's all warned to do the surgery as a child as it is much harder in an adult. If you have the surgery in the next two weeks you will be completely yourself by your trip time. No worries there. I am an RN as well as a Mom to two children who have had their tonsils out!

tannermansmom
03-16-2009, 09:25 PM
I had mine taken out at the age of 22. I was very uncomfortable for a solid week. Oddly enough I preferred luke warm broth (I am not a big milkshake/ice cream person). After two weeks though, I was back to my old self. Actually, I now sleep better b/c they were removed. You will be just fine by your Disney trip. The only long term thing I really noticed is that drinks with caffeine bothered me. But hey water is better for you anyway. Just a little side note-I bought a Magna Doodle to write on so my hubby could understand me. It was a life saver!

deedeenmickey
03-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks everyone! I really liked hearing from an RN. It was like the Doc was saying you need to get them out they are a size 4 but he was trying to talk me out of it at the same time??? The magna doodle is great idea. I'll have to get one of those!!

Here we go again...
03-16-2009, 11:17 PM
I had mine removed when I was 40. I also had sinus surgery, sleep apnea surgery and deviated septum surgery all at the same time.
I was at home on IV pain meds for a week.

The only thing that bothered me was a stitch in my throat that did not want to dissolve. It took about 2 weeks before I stopped feeling it.

I did not have as much pain as they expected. I was not using the IV "push" or ear drops or numbing lollipops. I guess it all depends on the person and how the surgery goes.

I would think that 2-4 weeks would be all it takes. Plan your trip and have fun.

EpcotChic23
03-17-2009, 09:27 AM
I had my tonsils out when I was around 24 years old. It was painful, I will not lie. I was out of comission for 2 weeks. I could not eat anything and I could only drink clear liquids, everything else caused a mucus build up in my throat. But seriously after 2 weeks one morning I woke up and I was back to normal. I had some issues swallowing for another 3-4 weeks but nothing that got in my way. Good luck with everything. In the end of it I am glad I got them taken out, I have not had a serious soar throat since then.

Beast_fanatic
03-17-2009, 10:28 AM
No advice for you, I just wanted to send a little :pixie: your way!

murphy1
03-17-2009, 10:34 AM
No tonsils, but had two thyroid removal (took half, then the other half). Just don't be shy about taking meds or try to be brave and ICE CREAM.

Princess'Mom
03-17-2009, 10:43 AM
No advice for you, I just wanted to send a little :pixie: your way!

ME TOO! Good luck! And get feeling better!

JanetMegan
03-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Ah tonsils...one of my favorite subjects. I had mine out at about 24. (7 years ago) I won't lie either, it was bad. At once point I actually begged my mother to shoot me, really. BUT I would do it all over again in a heartbeat, I am SOOO much healthier since having them out. I just wish I had done it sooner.

A couple tips...

1. As someone mentioned earlier lukewarm or room temp foods are your best friends. I was very sensitive to very hot or cold thing. I didn't want any ice cream or anything hot. Just room temp juices, and some creamy soups at room temp as well. I actually stayed hot/cold sensitive for a long time and still don't care for ice water-weird huh?

2. Your worst days will not be at the beginning. Your worst days will be days 7-10. I didn't believe the doctor when he told me this but he was right. I told another Intercotee this a couple years ago and she PM'd me later and told me I was right ;) So just be prepared. You won't feel that bad at first but it gets worse before it gets better.

3. When the scabs come off, it's gross. Not to go too much into details here on the cot, but it sort of freaked me out. But after that I was doing much better.

If you have any other questions feel free to drop me a PM. Like I said, it was bad. It was. BUT it was SOOOO worth it!

Marilyn Michetti
03-17-2009, 12:07 PM
I had mine out when I was 23 - they used ether. That was the worst part.

My only advice that hasn't been mentioned would be to avoid ice cream and milk. It caused too much mucus and clearing my throat was hard.

Yep, it was painful, but I don't think they give eather anymore.:ack:

tinktude
03-17-2009, 05:33 PM
I had mine out July of last year at age 35. It wasn't too bed.

Here is my advice, take the meds they give you religiously along with drink a TON of water!!!

Buy some popsicles and sherbet as I lived on these for the first two weeks.

WATER WATER WATER!!!!!

The worst days were 7-10, and these are the days that the meds and water are the MOST IMPORTANT.

Things that I had trouble with were pudding (too thick to swallow), anything rough (a big NO NO the first two weeks), I tried a slushie but it was too acidic and it burned.

PM me if you have any questions. I am more than happy to give additional information.

deedeenmickey
03-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Thank you!!! I am starting to feel better about this. The scheduler called me and my surgery is going to be April 8. I almost canceled it. I can take some pain but they really had me physced out! Thanks everyone!

Here we go again...
03-17-2009, 10:22 PM
I had mine out July of last year at age 35. It wasn't too bed.

Here is my advice, take the meds they give you religiously along with drink a TON of water!!!

Buy some popsicles and sherbet as I lived on these for the first two weeks.

WATER WATER WATER!!!!!

The worst days were 7-10, and these are the days that the meds and water are the MOST IMPORTANT.

Things that I had trouble with were pudding (too thick to swallow), anything rough (a big NO NO the first two weeks), I tried a slushie but it was too acidic and it burned.

PM me if you have any questions. I am more than happy to give additional information.

How did we forget this? Yes, Water, Water, Water!
Go for slickery foods. (yes, I know slickery is not a word, but how else do I describe it)
Like jello, or ice pops.
I did not do well with real cold foods either. I think I lived on Jello for a week. With all of the flavors you do not get sick of it too soon.

tinktude
03-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Oh I almost forgot.....Please Please Please ask the doctor for some anti nausea meds before you go home. I had some trouble with the pain meds making me nauseous and I threw up the second day (THIS DOES NOT FEEL GOOD).

Once I had the anti nausea meds I was good to go. So ask before you go home so you don't have to make another trip to the drug store.

Mousefever
03-18-2009, 12:51 AM
I had mine out when I was 23 - they used ether. That was the worst part.

My only advice that hasn't been mentioned would be to avoid ice cream and milk. It caused too much mucus and clearing my throat was hard.

Yep, it was painful, but I don't think they give eather anymore.:ack:

Yah! I still remember the smell of ether from getting mine out at age five. That was 32 years ago.

My suggestion echoes some others. Don't be a hero. Take the pain meds you're given and stick to slippery foods. Good luck!

Cinderelley
03-20-2009, 07:19 AM
I had a different experience than the others here. It was at least 6 weeks before I could eat anything - lost a lot of weight that way. My doctor said he expected that - that most of his adult patients lose at least 20 lbs.

After about three weeks, my mom bought some Ensure and shovelled it down my throat. The only way I could get anything down was right after I took my pain meds. I would swallow the Tylenol 3 which burned all the way down, but then my throat seemed numb and I could drink the Ensure.

My doctor did say that my case was the worst he had ever seen. That may be part of it.

deedeenmickey
03-20-2009, 11:35 AM
I would love to lose ATLEAST 20 pounds!!! And 6 weeks not eating would be okay I would still be ready for Disney in June.:thumbsup: My surgery is April 8th!! Please keep me in your prayers!! One of my biggest concerns is being put to sleep.:confused:

murphy1
03-20-2009, 11:42 AM
I was worried before my first surgery about being put under. Both times it was easy, you are counting backwards for the surgeon on the table and next thing you know, you are in recovery listening to the nurses coversations with each other. Let us know how you are doing after and just try to keep relaxed.

d_m_n_n
03-20-2009, 05:19 PM
I had mine out 2 weeks before my 18th birthday, and it was not fun. Definitely try the jello instead of ice cream! And when Janet warns you of the scab...BE PREPARED!!! :sick: Not a good experience!

Oh...and I had trouble with straws for several weeks afterward. Be prepared to drink straight from the cup for a while!! :)

I'm sure you will be great and you will be so glad you had the surgery!!!

Boojum
03-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Had my tonsils out when I was 25.

Yes, it did hurt badly.

Yes, you'll be well by your June trip.

Advice:

*Plan to pamper yourself for AT LEAST 3 days. More if you can. Get the books you've been meaning to read and rent the movies you've been meaning to watch.

*If they offer prescription painkillers, accept them--preferably in liquid form, if possible. It's better to have the meds and not need them than vice-versa!

*Stock up on bland yogurt flavors and vanilla ice cream for the first couple of days. When you've improved somewhat, try things like mashed potatoes and broths. And, be sure you DO eat no matter how sore you are. If you don't, your healing time will take longer.

*Drink mostly water or milk--fruit juices and sodas sting.

*Rest, rest, REST. And then, rest a little more!

*Good luck!

deedeenmickey
04-10-2009, 03:09 AM
I had my tonsils out on Wednesday the 8th. So far so good. They kept me overnight and everything went pretty well. I can't believe the doctor and his staff had me this scared!! It has been no where near as bad as they said. I know that it's not over but they had me horrorfied!!! Thanks everyone for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers!!

Beast_fanatic
04-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Glad things went well for you! :pixie: for a continued smooth recovery!

Magic Smiles
04-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Happy to hear the surgery went well and that you feel much better than you had anticipated.
Under no circumstance no matter how badly you want one, don't eat a french frie the first week! I did that and it killed!

MNNHFLTX
04-11-2009, 01:04 PM
So glad that your recovery is going well so far. :pixie: for continued healing.

Cinderelley
04-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Glad to hear things are going well!

lettripp
01-19-2011, 06:14 PM
I SO wish I saw this before... I'm having mine out next month and I will be taking all of this advice!