PDA

View Full Version : AKL perks

disney1026
03-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Hello everyone,

I will be staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge for the first time this May. I was wondering, are there any "perks" that I should be aware of? I thought I had heard that AKL guests get into Animal Kingdom park early for Kilimanjaro Safaris...Is this true?

Basically, what at the resort should I make sure not to miss ?

Ed
03-16-2009, 06:44 PM
AKL does offer the "Sunrise Safari", but the last time I checked, it was available only to concierge level guests.

ThanxForNoticin
03-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Sunrise Safari is only available for concierge guests at AKL. It sounds like it's the 'early safari' that you might have heard about. Really the only 'perk' I can think of for AKL guests is access to the pool. You must be staying at AKL to use the pool.

The things to not miss at AKL? The resort is amazing. Check out the animal savannahs, including the opportunity to use night-vision goggles after dark - it's pretty cool. The gift shop is one of the best on property. If you have some time, sitting outside on a rocker by the fire is very relaxing. Also, the restaurants at AKL are amazing - Boma, Jiko, and even Mara are outstanding. I hope that helps....

Stickey
03-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Staying at the AKL will offer a unique opportunity to watch the animals(giraffes, zebras, elands, wildebeest, ankole cattle, and other animals) on the savannahs(there are three). A savannah view room is the best option. The theming throughout the resort is exceptional. The dining options are excellent- Jiko, Boma, and Mara. The gift shop is also worth a visit.

s&k'smom
03-18-2009, 03:17 PM
We'll be their in October. We stayed their in Oct. 2004 and I remember walking into the lobby and going WOW, the sights, the smells, just wonderful.

PlutoPlanet
03-19-2009, 12:10 PM
When we stay at AKL we eat at Boma twice.

EmmMOM2
03-20-2009, 01:40 PM
I can think of a PERK.

AKL is one of the few resorts that has there OWN buses! So you do not have to share or stop at any other resorts for pickups and dropoffs so it's straight to the parks and back!!

I LOVE that part!

Tinkerfreak
03-20-2009, 04:40 PM
I can think of a PERK.

AKL is one of the few resorts that has there OWN buses! So you do not have to share or stop at any other resorts for pickups and dropoffs so it's straight to the parks and back!!

I LOVE that part!

We also love this about the AKL. We here people complain about it being so far away from everything but we don't mind. We find that by the time the other resort busses make all the other stops they have to make it takes about the same amount of time.

playdead88
03-20-2009, 09:03 PM
what about the night vision goggle tour? we are staying at the akl for the 1st time in may and i read that this was a cool thing to do - has anyone done this?

Tinkerfreak
03-20-2009, 09:19 PM
I think one of the best perks is relaxation. A couple of our favorite things to do is to grab a drink and either sit outside by the fire or inside by the fire.
During the day my DD's and I would grab a cup of tea and some cookies and go out on one of the balconies with the great big rocking chairs and just watch the animals while relaxing.
I could spend several days at this resort just relaxing and hanging out all over the resort.

iheartdisney
03-21-2009, 02:36 PM
I can think of a PERK.

I LOVE that part!

We stayed away from AKL because I thought the transportation would be horrible because it was so far away from all of the parks. Au contraire! AKL has the best transportation of all of the deluxe resorts. My husband convinced me to stay there our last trip and it was awesome! The resort is beautiful. The restaurants are both very good. Even some "non savanna view" rooms have savanna views. Granted, transportation is all by bus but very quick. Besides the unique surroundings, it's one of our favorite AKL perks!