PDA

View Full Version : Paper or Plastic or Bring your own

Hull-onian
03-16-2009, 05:39 PM
In Massachusetts they are deciding whether or not to charge us for the use of plastic bags. They want to charge a nickel per bag. Or if you bring own bags to a Stop and Shop they will pay you a nickel for any bag returned and reused. So my question to you is--Do you bring your own, prefer plastic, or like paper or both?

coloradowendyl
03-16-2009, 05:49 PM
I have been bringing my own cloth bags to the stores for over 2 yrs now. I keep them in my car and grab them before I go in. I even use them at Sams (which does no bagging) and at Target/etc. I find the cloth bags stand up nicely in my van and are easier to carry. I even throw them in the wash!

Wendy

disneymom15
03-16-2009, 05:58 PM
We bought 5 bags from our grocery store for $1 each. Every time we use them we get 5cents back. They've probably paid for themself twice.

VWL Mom
03-16-2009, 06:02 PM
I like the cloth bags because they are heavier and I can pack more in them.

Tinkermom
03-16-2009, 06:07 PM
I like the cloth bags because they are heavier and I can pack more in them.

Ditto! They are also easier to carry and don't break and are of course green. :thumbsup:

PirateLover
03-16-2009, 06:12 PM
We do very large shopping trips and would have to bring about 15 bags probably. We often have 2 full carts. I am one of those people who likes to double up-Paper with plastic on the outside. You can fit more into the paper bag because of the ability to stack items neatly. Plus we use to paper bags to put all of our recyclable papers into. We use plastic bags for a number of things as well, anywhere from picking up dog doo doo to a makeshift last minute lunch bag. It's funny that some stores are charging for plastic bags, because at my local store, you have to beg for paper bags when you go to a self serve lane, while plastic bags abound. I could probably take the whole rackfull and no one would care. (This is Superfresh by the way).

J9
03-16-2009, 06:25 PM
We always do paper IN plastic....

Carol
03-16-2009, 06:56 PM
FYI - Just bought 4 reusable bags at Disneyland. Very cute. I'm sure they're probably available at WDW too.

d_m_n_n
03-16-2009, 07:22 PM
That is so cute, Polygirl! I may have to trade in my boring black bags for ones with character!! How much were they, if I may ask?

Dulcee
03-16-2009, 07:54 PM
I started using cloth bags in college. It seemed everyone on campus did. I finally convinced my Mom to do the same and she won't go back either. :thumbsup: Here's to being ecofriendly in even little ways.

citizensnoopy
03-16-2009, 08:10 PM
I usually do plastic, but I hate it when they break! I could definitely go for that Mickey bag ... :mickey:

jensantuit
03-16-2009, 08:25 PM
We bring our our bags.

NotaGeek
03-16-2009, 08:41 PM
That is so cute, Polygirl! I may have to trade in my boring black bags for ones with character!! How much were they, if I may ask?
I bought 4 myself, with Carol. They area adorable and were SO cheap ... $2.95 each and proceeds went to save trees. Totally worth it! You can get them sent to you through Disneyland DelivEARS by calling (800) 362-4533 M-F 8am-5pm PST.

brownie
03-17-2009, 07:30 AM
I always try to bring our own bags when we go grocery shopping. If I forget, I'll use paper bags when I can. I reuse the paper bags for paper recycling. We resuse the plastic bags as trash bags around the house.

It's interesting that MA wants to charge you for using plastic bags. Retailers already pass on the costs of bags to customers no matter whether you use paper or plastic. Plastic was cheaper, which is why you saw the switch. Bag costs was one of the measures they tracked when I worked for Meijer. When I was a bagger, we were trained to use the space above the paper bag as part of the bag, so I don't know that plastic saved money in all cases (you can't use the space above the bag much with a plastic bag.)

Mickey'sGirl
03-17-2009, 08:42 AM
I always bring my own cloth bags, unless we are running low on dog poop bags, then we do one shop for the plastic! :blush:

I also only use a refillable mug if I am getting a coffee. If I don't have my mug, then I can't get my Timmies/Starbucks etc.

Every bit helps!

pilk
03-17-2009, 09:20 AM
[QUOTE=brownie;1850634]It's interesting that MA wants to charge you for using plastic bags. Retailers already pass on the costs of bags to customers no matter whether you use paper or plastic. Plastic was cheaper, which is why you saw the switch. QUOTE]

In Toronto, Ontario the city is in the process of doing the samething. Charging for the use of plastic bags that is. I recently heard that they were also looking at charging an additional tax on plastic bags.

Personally, we use cloth bags.

indytraveler
03-17-2009, 09:24 AM
May sound like George Bush Sr. ...

They're charging for Plastic Bags? Aren't they recyclable?

DisneyDog
03-17-2009, 10:48 AM
I shop at a wonderful store called Aldi. Everything is generic, they charge a refundable $.25 for a cart (you get your money back when you return the cart, thus they don't have to pay someone to bring in the carts), and you bring your own bags and bag your own groceries. Because of all of those things, they are able to sell high quality food at rock bottom prices. My groceries are running me around $40 a week for a family of 3, and I am able to buy lots of goodies that I couldn't buy before, like cookies and ice cream and stuff like that. Whatever I can't find at Aldi, I go to Walmart for the rest. I buy my pet food there, and a few other staples. I end up spending about another $30 there. So, my total is around $70 a week. I don't mind bringing my own bags if it means I am spending 1/2 what I used to spend at the supermarket.

MNNHFLTX
03-17-2009, 10:50 AM
FYI - Just bought 4 reusable bags at Disneyland. Very cute. I'm sure they're probably available at WDW too.I love those shopping bags, Carol!!:thumbsup:

I use the cloth bags too, for all the reasons previously mentioned. Personally I think we should do what London, Los Angelos, San Francisco and many other cities have done and do away with plastic bags altogether. A couple of weekends ago my family and I did a volunteer trash clean-up along a new bike trail here in Houston. You would not believe how many plastic bags we picked up. They are not biodegradeable. In fact, after our experience there we have switched to biodegrable trash and doggy pick-up bags in our own home.

Mickey'sGirl
03-17-2009, 11:00 AM
They are not biodegradeable. In fact, after our experience there we have switched to biodegrable trash and doggy pick-up bags in our own house.
Good idea! We should be doing the same for our dog walkie doo doo bags. We have the corn starch bags in our house for our green bin (our town has compostable items pick up each week in "green bins" ). I think I'll leave the doggie doo doo bags in the large green receptacle in the garage though. Don't really want that on the counter! :ack:

mjaclyn
03-17-2009, 05:49 PM
I really want to use my own bags but most of the time I forget them, even if I put them out on the counter before I go. I prefer to use them not only because it's better for the environment, but because the bags tend to fit a lot more in them than the grocery store bags do.

Hull-onian
03-17-2009, 06:19 PM
I have one girl that comes through my line, with all Mickey bags and to match, Mickey earrings. She's so cute.:mickey:

Mickey91
03-18-2009, 09:37 AM
I prefer the paper bags. They are easier to carry without having everything tear through and roll all over the ground. They keep cold food cold much better than plastic. They are also more environment friendly.

alphamommy
03-18-2009, 10:28 AM
I bought several bags from the store I usually shop in, and keep them in the car so I can use them. The store gives 5 cents back for every reusable bag you bring. They also provide recycling of plastic bags.

I wish I had a Disney trip on the horizon - I love their bag!

Disney Doll
03-18-2009, 12:27 PM
FYI - Just bought 4 reusable bags at Disneyland. Very cute. I'm sure they're probably available at WDW too.

We have a couple of those too. I just had to have them. They are a bit smaller than my other reusable bags, but they'll hold a couple of gallons of milk. I agree that plastic bags need to go bye-bye.

jennbunn
03-18-2009, 11:59 PM
we use cloth bags. i can get way more in my cloth bag then a paper sack. my store gives back a nickle for every bag you use that has the store's logo on it. if i do forget my bag i use plastic. the paper bags handles rip way to easy.

dmosher
03-19-2009, 04:26 AM
We always bring our own with us, its better for the environment and keeps us from having stacks of bags around the house. Here in New Zealand they are hardcore about bringing your own bags. Some stores even charge you for a bag just to cut down on the over use of plastic and paper bags.
:pipes:
D